It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2003, 07:34 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User
Question ? osteoarthritis many problems....

Help, several issues: numbness on top of feet, pain on sides of feet and ankle. Knees hurt, shoulder pain w/numbness, tingling down arm, up neck to head, right ear tingling,face sides are numb and tingling: lower back pain, tingling down leg.
_surgeries: c 5-6-7 fusion, L5/s1 discectomy- now collapsed, l3-5 disiccated and ddd, arthrosis The foot numness started over 20yrs ago, aerobic. Could this started the arthritis?
Herniated discs: result of arthritis?
I use to be very active, aerobics and most sports, now can't do anything?
Afraid my life is bleak. Surgeries seem to be making it worse? I can walk ok but can't stand long, sitting is the worst! I have no energy and getting very depressed. I have dreams but can't act on them. I am seeing a neuroligst Friday and hopefully get some answers. Is nerve damage permanent? What can I do to get my life back and relieve the pain? I look great so people don't understand, I don't say much about this to anyone. I take zoloft, not much help, xanex helps, hydrocodone, so so , alleve helps alittle. Is it all down hill from here???? http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif

Old 09-10-2003, 12:25 AM   #2

Bradly HB User
I don't know if things will get better for you but I know things keep going downhill for me. I had surgery last year for a herniated disk at C3. The doctor at the time thought that was the only problem and he only did the surgery because the EMG was showing more of a problem than the MRI. When I had the surgery the doctor was surprised to find a large bone spur at that level. The disk was removed along with the bone spur. I was bad enough before the surgery but now I feel completely worse. Plus the bone spur grew back in the same spot. After more research my doctor came to the conclusion that I have Osteoarthritis of the spine. I have bone spurs at different levels througout my neck and the EMG is showing problems. I don't have any other herniated disks so the pain has to be coming from the bone spurs. A different doctor had suggested surgery to remove the bone spurs but he decided against this once he found out my other doctor did not see a reason to. I am actually happy about that because although without surgery I don't stand a chance at getting rid of the pain I don't have to worry about feeling worse after surgery. I went through Physical Therapy for two months but after it making the pain worse I decided to stop. Now I am going to try Massage Therapy but even though I think it will help I don't really think it will get rid of the pain except for a short period after the massage. The areas I get the most amount of pain in is my Neck, Upper back area and my upper arms. At times during the day my arms will go numb while I am using them but usually I only have this problem at night. I wake up all the time because of this. I also have problems with fatigue and sitting down. It seems like I can never get enough sleep and I need on average of 10 hours a night to feel at least somewhat rested. I tried getting only 8 hours of sleep for a week but became to exhausted so I know I am not oversleeping. My neck seems to hurt the most with sitting or walking. I usually have to alternate between standing and sitting at least every 20 minutes or so. Standing still alone will aggravate my neck so I have to pace slowly. I have had my problem for over 13 years now and it has only become worse. I have been on disability since the beginning of June and even with the reduced activity my neck is still becoming worse. I spent 900 dollars on a bed to see if that would make any difference and I should of just kept my old bed. I use heat on the painful areas all the time and this helps but usually doesn't have any lasting releif. I am at the point where I have more fun being in the comfort of my home than going out to do things. Many times I feel like doing things but just don't have the energy to. I have wanted to take walks and I usually don't make it any further than my driveway before the pain changes my mind. For a while I forced myself to walk a little bit everyday because I was told this would help and that I would feel better after a few weeks. I pushed myself for three weeks but the pain became so severe I had to stop. I can understand the symptoms being aggravated at first but when it just keeps becoming more severe you know it is not helping. Probably the worst thing I have noticed is that if my condition gets worse it never goes back to the way it was before. Like with the walking, I have felt worse since and did not recover to the way I felt before I started. Of course if I have an MRI or EMG done my condition appears the same as it did before. I pray everyday when I go to sleep that I wake up feeling like the old me. I miss those days so much. Being able to wake up feeling refreshed and happy. Ready to get the day started. Feeling like the old me would be the best drug in the world. Take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2003, 05:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User
Bradley, your story sounds so familiar! I am only 47 and can not imagine what it will be like 10yrs from now! I am getting so scared. I am alone. Sometime I get so afraid that my back will give out and I won't be able to get help. I use to fall down before my surgery on L5, my back would go out and I could not stand or straighten up. I am thinking it may be MS? but with all the disc problems probably related to that. The arthritis seems to be taking over! My hands now are getting it, Ihave bumps on knuckles and a bump on my ankle and Knee. I want to go for walks but afraid my back will go out. I have been so inactive, maybe if I push myself I will improve? But I did some packing the other day and since I have been worse! I wonder if surgery made it worse? or would nerve damage resulted if did not do surgery? (looks like I have nerve damage anyway) on top of it my sinuses are so screwed up! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif I wake up at night with my eye running with water, nose flushing fluid, doesn't happen during the day just when I am laying down? http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif We work so hard all our lives and give to our jobs and end up like this? Then we have to fight for disability, yep, they are putting me thru hell! I got the short term dis ran out 8/30, now waiting for approval for l/t. They keep asking for stuff and say they didn't get it... I am in for a battle with this! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/blob_fire.gif Pitty party over, thanks for listening!!!! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/gabby.gif

Closed Thread