It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2003, 11:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User
Post Terrible pain in hands and fingers

Hi everyone: I went to the Dr. b/c of continuing knee pain and stiffness. They took x-rays that showed osteoarthritis. I also mentioned to the Dr. that the back of my hands have been hurting badly and he said that's tendonitis. Is the pain in my fingers tendonitis also, or would that be arthritis? The pain is really bad. I didn't take a Bextra today b/c I have to get pre-approval to fill the RX and I don't know if it will be approved. If I have to pay for it myself, it will cost over $100 for a 30 day supply. On top of all that, I have pain in my right hip, TMJ, etc. If this is how the rest of my life is going to be, I'd rather not be around to see it. Advil does nothing to alleviate the finger pain. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 08-31-2003, 01:57 AM   #2

kellbrntt61 HB User
Many docs will make a diagnosis of tendonitis until they do an x-ray. Then some still do, because the problem doesn't show itself. I tell you this because I have carpal tunnel and THAT does affect the wrists, back of hand, fingers.....pain and numbness. I also have arthritis in my hands. Makes for an interesting combination. Now, please take my suggestion literally. If cold (even water) or dampness in the air make your hands hurt more than usual (like your knees), chances are, it may be arthritis. Buy yourself a pair of inexpensive wrist braces. Sleep in them. It may sound silly, but that was recommended to me by an orthopedic surgeon. Wearing the braces at night helps keep the wrists in proper position. I wear them during the day when my hands ache too. I have less pain during the day as result of wearing the braces at night. I believe you said Advil was not helping. If that is the case, try something else. Naproxin Sodium or an Nsaid. Not everything will work on everyone. Ibuprofen works well for me, but not for my husband. So, I understand this. Either way, if you have decent health insurance, get a second opinion. You may be happy you did. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2003, 10:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi: Thanks for the information. I appreciate it and am sorry that you suffer too. The only test my Dr. did to check for carpal tunnel was to tap on the inside of my wrist. Both he and his assistant told me that pain on the back of the hand is tendonitis. I think all this crap started when I saw a Rheumy who was pressing on my fingers, hands and wrists. Also, I have to do jaw exercises for TMJ that involve my hands and these stretches on a hard foam roller where I have to bend my fingers and hands at weird angles. I'd be better off if I never saw another Dr. again. I did take a Bextra today and it helped. I hope I can get some more samples of it in case insur. won't pay for it. Thanks again. Sue

Old 08-31-2003, 03:04 PM   #4

bkcorr86 HB User
It sounds like you KNOW something is wrong and the Dr is ignoring you or isn't that good at diagnosing (not uncommon!). I could barely walk, and a rheumatologist did xrays of my knees and tried to tell me nothing was wrong. Ihad to go to Mayo clinic to find out I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. When they did a bone scan every single joint was lit up like it was on fire. Do not allow one doctor to cause you to ignore your symptoms if there has been a significant change.

Old 09-01-2003, 04:35 PM   #5

kellbrntt61 HB User
To properly diagnose carpal tunnel, there is a test that is done (cannot remember the name) using electrodes attached to your skin. a small shock is sent from each one and the rate (speed) of return tells the docs if there is an obstruction (the carpal). It is painless. It can be uncomfortable. Most insurance companies cover it. The test can be done by a good orthopedist. Please persue the issue. It does sound as if you are not being heard. Also, if your insurance is an HMO, their docs tend to stick with pad ansers like tendonitis so that you will keep coming back. Most will not admit this, but I actually had a PA tell me the instructions from the doc she worked for stated to tell my husband and I tendonitis with each visit. I have carpal tunnel and arthritis (diagnosed after years of pain). My husband has DISH Syndrome (diagnosed after more time and pain than I). Keep pushing for answeres and proper testing. Good luck.

Old 09-01-2003, 05:07 PM   #6

teresamarie36 HB User
Talking

Hello,
I'm sorry to hear about your pain, I am also suffering with my hand right on the knuckles and the Dr. gave me Bextra too..but I found out last night that Aleve helps my hand pain better than anything..even the Bextra which I keep for hard times..when my pain is unbearable, because it is very exspensive and I know what you mean about that. So try some Aleve and I hope it will help you like it helped me.. Best of luck to you...

Old 09-01-2003, 05:10 PM   #7

teresamarie36 HB User
Talking

Hello,
I'm sorry to hear about your pain, I am also suffering with my hand right on the knuckles and the Dr. gave me Bextra too..but I found out last night that Aleve helps my hand pain better than anything..even the Bextra which I keep for hard times..when my pain is unbearable, because it is very exspensive and I know what you mean about that. So try some Aleve and I hope it will help you like it helped me.. Best of luck to you...

Old 09-01-2003, 10:48 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks everyone. All these symptoms started the day after I was examined by a Rheumatologist for Fibromyalgia that my PT thinks I have. The Rheumy and another Dr. were pushing on my hands, fingers and wrists. It didn't hurt at the time, but did the next day forward. I also have to do jaw exercises using weird hand positions and lay on a hard foam roller and alternate my arms behind my shoulders with my thumbs pointing down. So, my right shoulder feels pain too, all the way down. I'm going to try Aleve tomorrow and see if that reduces the hand and finger pain. The Bextra works great on my knee pain. I wish it would do the same for the hand pain. Sue

Old 09-17-2003, 11:22 AM   #9

CountessDesquirrel HB User
I have constant pain in my fingers, wrists and knuckles. Sometimes they shake uncontollably and other times they just have shooting sharp pains. They always feel as if they've been shot with Novacane. I take Bextra but it doesn't help. I also take Lorutab and Cyclobenzaprine (a narcotic and muscle relaxant). They use to put me to sleep but now they don't really do anything. It is often painful just to hold my husbands hand! At first we thought it was carpal tunnel. That was proved wrong. Now, after many doctors and run-around, it has been diagnosed as Cervical Arthritis. I don't have much pain in my neck though- mostly just everywhere else. I'm going to see if my doctor will test me for arthritis in my hands- particularly Rhuemotoid.

Old 09-17-2003, 12:05 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I usually can't hold my husband's hand either. My Dr. thinks I may have RA too. I'm in the process of getting the test results in the mail from the bloodwork I had from a different Dr. last month. RA doesn't always show up in a blood test right away either. I'm so terrified of being in severe pain for the rest of my life!!!!!! The hardest part is getting the correct diagnosis!!!

Closed Thread