It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2003, 07:45 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User
Post Knee Pain

I am 28 years old, and since I was about 21 I have been having episodic knee pain in my right knee - for a while it would heard walking down stairs, or if I had been sitting in the same position for too long. And then for many months it would be ok again, no pain... Seems like the cold brings it on, or makes it worse.
It hasn't been getting worse, actually never got as bad as during the first "episode". Recently I have been feeling a little bit of pain in my left knee too.
I do a lot of walking and love it, I am a very active person. Also I am very light so I don't carry much excess weight.
I am too young to "not walk" or whatever,right!
Anyway... that sound like arthritis? And does it usually get bad when you get older?
Sometimes I try to walk differently when I am going through a phase of pain. Also have been reading books and gotten tips from them, like wearing "soft" shoes etc.

Kathrin
sometimes a little worried.

Old 09-06-2003, 06:52 PM   #2
(female)

JeanneMarie HB User
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Kathrin74:
I am 28 years old, and since I was about 21 I have been having episodic knee pain in my right knee - for a while it would heard walking down stairs, or if I had been sitting in the same position for too long. And then for many months it would be ok again, no pain... Seems like the cold brings it on, or makes it worse.
It hasn't been getting worse, actually never got as bad as during the first "episode". Recently I have been feeling a little bit of pain in my left knee too.
I do a lot of walking and love it, I am a very active person. Also I am very light so I don't carry much excess weight.
I am too young to "not walk" or whatever,right!
Anyway... that sound like arthritis? And does it usually get bad when you get older?
Sometimes I try to walk differently when I am going through a phase of pain. Also have been reading books and gotten tips from them, like wearing "soft" shoes etc.

Kathrin
sometimes a little worried.
Hi. I have knee pain also, left knee worse. I have been diagnosed with Chrondomalacia of the knee. When I get hit by a cold draft, my knees hurt immediately, and if I lay my warm hand on my knees, it feels so good. I know arthritis is helped by heat, so I know this must be an arthritic condition with a fancy name. Instead of walking, I bought myself a recumbent bike and this way I don't put weight on my knees and the pedalling feels actually good. On a regular bike, bearing down on the knees, didn't feel so good. With the recumbent, you push forward with your legs and thereby you are getting good excercise without the weight on them. It helps me anyway. I also take 1500mg of Glucosamine Sulfate daily and rub MSN cream with Glucosamine into my knees every nite. I, so far, am keeping much of the hurt I felt in the beginning very tolerable. Good luck.

------------------
JeanneMarie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2003, 05:50 AM   #3
Inactive

zip2play HB User
Kathrin, Jeanne Marie,

Where do you have your knee pain. Slightly above the knee, off to the sides, directly over or under the kneecap or below?

I've had both knees mangled cartilege-wise a long time ago. That was an inner and off to the insde pain (for decades). For the last couple years I'm getting this pain that feels like the ligaments holding the upper kneecap on.

Like Kathrin, I get pain GOING DOWN stairs rather than going up and my bike riding smarts unless my seat is way high. Deep knee bends are the pits.

I find that 4 aspirin a day helps a lot and I am forcing myself to do daily knee bends (slowly and carefully). Though counterintuitive, it seems to be helping, presumably by removing the stiffness and keeping things limber.

Have either of you been diagnosed with chondromalacia?

[This message has been edited by zip2play (edited 09-07-2003).]

Old 09-07-2003, 02:34 PM   #4
(female)

JeanneMarie HB User
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by zip2play:
Kathrin, Jeanne Marie,

Where do you have your knee pain. Slightly above the knee, off to the sides, directly over or under the kneecap or below?

I've had both knees mangled cartilege-wise a long time ago. That was an inner and off to the insde pain (for decades). For the last couple years I'm getting this pain that feels like the ligaments holding the upper kneecap on.

Like Kathrin, I get pain GOING DOWN stairs rather than going up and my bike riding smarts unless my seat is way high. Deep knee bends are the pits.

I find that 4 aspirin a day helps a lot and I am forcing myself to do daily knee bends (slowly and carefully). Though counterintuitive, it seems to be helping, presumably by removing the stiffness and keeping things limber.

Have either of you been diagnosed with chondromalacia?

[This message has been edited by zip2play (edited 09-07-2003).]
Hi.
Where do I have the knee pain? It depends on what day it is. Today the left knee hurts on top of the knee cap and I feel something there like maybe an artery over the knee cap that feels hard, when my leg is down while sitting. If I am standing the pain is more of an ache. Crazy.....worse when I sit down. I can move my knee one way or the other, and I feel a pop sometimes, sometimes not(while sitting). It has a definate pain there but not overbearing. I don't take anything for this pain or ache, not yet....anyway. It hurts or aches till I get on my bike, then I don't feel it while putting it thru the paces. I think, even though I have been diagnosed with Chrondomalacia, I think its really arthritis of the knee, plain and simple. With my Glucosamine and cream I apply, I have put it into a holding mode. No better, no worse. Although I think my recumbent bike riding, is certainly helping. (2 miles per day)

How do your knee's feel? It's really hard to describe, for like Arthritis, it moves and changes...is Chrondo really Arthritis????????? Think so.

------------------
JeanneMarie

Old 09-08-2003, 10:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User
Hello,

mostly my pain is on the inside of the knee and on the lower end, or under, the knee cap.

I have never heard of that condition before! I looked it up on the internet and boy that sure sounds like me!!!

I have a cream that helps, it is called Voltaren, but I got it in Switzerland, I haven't seen anything like it here in the US.

Kathrin

Old 09-08-2003, 11:48 AM   #6
(female)

JeanneMarie HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Kathrin74:
Hello,

mostly my pain is on the inside of the knee and on the lower end, or under, the knee cap.

I have never heard of that condition before! I looked it up on the internet and boy that sure sounds like me!!!

I have a cream that helps, it is called Voltaren, but I got it in Switzerland, I haven't seen anything like it here in the US.

Kathrin
Hi.
I also had never heard of this condition before. I recognised what I have by reading this site. Also the pain in my knees 'TODAY' feels exactly like you described about yours. Funny, it changes but my left knee is always the worst. The strange thing to me is, my knees show no swelling, redness...look like they have all my life. So that is what threw me when reading peoples sympthoms.

This cream you use, what is the basic ingredient? Mine is MSM, you might say with Glucosamine. I buy mine online, and only costs around $5 per 4 oz. plastic bottle. From puritans. Sure works.

------------------
JeanneMarie

Old 09-18-2003, 07:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User
Sorry to take so long to answer.

The ingredient in the cream is called sometthing like diclofenac.

Kathrin

Closed Thread