It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2003, 07:57 PM   #1

Jim Brines HB User
Question polymyalgia rheumatica + sed rate

Hi there,
This may be my second attempt as I am a little raw finding my way round the board. Could not locate any answer to my first try, and will look under arthritis in future. Interested in sed rate at the moment and if there are any cures or relief for this condition.
Bridie.

Old 09-16-2003, 06:00 PM   #2

jjd1256 HB User
Hi Jim, I was just diagnosed with Poly today. It is a relief to finally have a definitive diagnosis. My mother was diagnosed with Poly a while back but only after 6 months of much pain and testing.

From what I've read and been told, Poly will usually go away on it's own even if left alone, but if treated it dissipates more quickly. I am on Vioxx 1-2 times per day and I also have a prescription for muscle relaxers for those nights when there is absolutely no position for my arm that is comfortable. I'll probably take one tonight because I'm extra sensitive from all the pulling, pushing, and prodding that I had done today.

I have massages every other week and sometimes that helps but other times it seems to make it worse ... just no pleasing this disorder! lol I have been given some neck exercises and also will be trying to add some other exercise into my life. When I feel I can handle it, I will very gently start lifting weights again with light weights and build back up to where I once was. (I used to lift weights for strength training)

I'm also finding a bag of frozen peas to be useful as an ice pack sometimes.

I'm not sure if any of that info is useful to you or not, but I hope so.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2003, 11:57 PM   #3

Jim Brines HB User
Hi there,

Thank you very much for the info.
Interested to know if the Vioxx has helped the polymyalgia rheumatica.
Also interested to know if you had a blood test for your sed rate,which generally is the precursor to poly.
My wife relieved the poly with prescription Prednisone but this accelarated osteoporosis.
We are now trying to find something which will bring down her sed rate to avoid going back on Prednisone!

Jim.

Old 09-17-2003, 09:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User
Hi: I had a blood test the other day to check for Polymyalgia and am awaiting the results. Besides having muscle pain that's really bad in my shoulders and upper arms, I have terrible pain in my wrists, hands, fingers and ankles, feet, toes among other places. Does anyone else have those symptoms too? I know that I have arthritis. I've been taking Bextra for a short time and have some Darvocet for pain. I don't know what I'll do if I don't start getting some pain relief soon!!!!! Good luck to all of us.

Old 09-19-2003, 11:13 PM   #5

Jim Brines HB User
Hi there,
To anyone diagnosed with Polymyalgia Rheumatica, you may be prescribed Prednisone which gave my wife immediate relief.
Be very careful of its long term use as it has given my wife serious osteoporsis problems, and it may be the cause of her high sed rate!!

Bridie.

Closed Thread