It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2003, 07:36 PM   #1

Met HB User
Unhappy Methotrexate

Hi,
I have DA, the Doc just gave me a prescription for Methotrexate 2.5 mg. 3 tablets every saturday. I have read information on this drug and I am really afraid to take it.. I was hoping to hear from others whom has taken this and what happened.. I hear it is a really toxic drug.. any info would be appreciated..

Old 09-19-2003, 10:49 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User
I took it for awhile. I didn't have any problems. But because it can cause liver problems you will have to have bloodwork done frequently to keep tabs on things. I don't know if its a female thing or not but I also had to take folic acid while taking methotrexate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2003, 05:00 AM   #3

Debbie-Do HB User
I just started taking methotrexate for RA. Just took my third dose this morning. I understand it is a very potent drug but I guess looking at the pain and the way my daily life is affected by my RA, I would rather walk around with no hair.

Old 09-23-2003, 02:18 PM   #4

joannejerome HB User
RA is an insidious disease. It slowly robs you. Have had it for 13 years. Rheumatologists use you as a guinea pig, but, on the other hand,you are also your own guinea pig for making your life style better. It began with my finger, then my wrist, then the horrible wrist pain, it went no further. then through the years, my neck stiffened, my shoulders were classified as "synovitis", no one said, oh this relates to rheumatoid arthritis also. RA affects muscles, tendons, tissues, joints, wherever you have an ache, if you have been diagnosed with RA through a SED rate blood test, or other means, the ache is the cause. I also have spinal stenosis, so this is somehow related because of my narrowing of my spinal column, causing great deal of pain; some call it disk degeneration, everyone has different names for it. With RA you also have bone loss, keep up your calcium pills. Some have it greater and faster than others. I am now, after all these years of NSAIDS, finally resorting to that evil drug I call methotrexate. Had no choice. Too much pain. But I have been taking it for 5 weeks now 7 mg once a week and nothing happening. Rheumatologist says wait. Even cortisone wrist injections in my right wrist do not help. I wear a wrist brace, cannot do anything manual with it. The inflammation does not cease. I have also loaded up with MSM up to 30 a day, doesn't hurt you - take flaxseed oil, garlic, calcium, all vitamins and minerals, glucosamine and now have even ordered the chicken cartilage to try that. Desparate moves for desparate people. My biggest problem is that doctors cannot help, only prescribe drugs, see what pain you are in and send you on your way with a piece of paper for the next blood work to see if the drug you are taking is KILLING YOU!
My main reason for writing is - am new to this board is to tell all that YES YOU CAN HAVE THE FLU SHOT IF YOU ARE TAKING METHOTREXATE. CHECKED WITH MY RHEUMATOLOGIST. IT IS A DEAD VACCINE.SOME CAN ALSO HAVE IT TAKEN IN TWO SEPARATE DOSES. I WAS CONCERNED BECAUSE I GET THE FLU SHOT EVERY YEAR AND SINCE METHOTREXATE depresses the immune system, I feared I would have a contraindication. Guess it is okay. Look up all you can to help yourself. And, remember, RA, is all encompassing in your body. Silly me, when younger, I thought it was just the joints!
Take care
Joanne

Old 09-23-2003, 05:16 PM   #5

AussieChick HB User
I too am just about to start my first dose of methatrexate am am equally as terrified...so keep me posted on your progress. RA hit me 6 months ago, mainly in my wrists, fingers but also ankles and i even get pain in my rib cartilege and eye... i haven't yet found a drug that both works and that my body will tolerate. My cousin is having great results with Methatrexate (which kicked in after two months) and is free from side effects which is inspiring. The allergic reactions i've experienced so far have made me worry that sometimes the drug can be worse than the disease so i decide i'll manage without it...but as i stiffen up, i realise i need to look at these drugs as my fiend not my enemy cause it looks like RA is here to stay and i still have a lot of living to do. All the best!
Aussie Chick

Old 09-24-2003, 05:40 AM   #6

sammy wise HB User
I've just posted in answer to another meth. message so please feel free to look at that. In addition I'd like to say that for me yes methotrexate worked and once I have my child (still trying) I will go back onto it but, it does need to be your decision. I won't take steriods as for me thats a real last resort thing although for some people they work really well. Read as much as you can as this may make you a bit less scared - having knowledge certainly helped me, and don't be afraid to question your doctor if there is anything you are not sure of (I always take a list of questions in so I don't forget anything).

Best of luck.

Old 12-01-2003, 05:12 PM   #7

keithst HB User
Re: Methotrexate

RA i have this and have taken every drug for this am 56yrs old male.went on enbrel a new drug and feel like i nevr had RA with out it in 3 week almost on cruches.
check it out my insurance covers it but it is expensive
over a $1000 a month

Old 12-02-2003, 03:51 PM   #8
Inactive

Mission_Void HB User
Post Re: Methotrexate

Hi Met,
I am taking 8 2.5mg tablets every week and have been on methotrexate for many, many years. However I did start out on a small dose to see how I would handle it. I'm a 46 year old male and have had RA for about 20 years. I've been through gold injections and other treatments, but methotrexate seems to help the best in my case. It can be taken the rest of your life as it will be in my case unless they can find something that works better or a miraculous cure (very doubtful).

And yes do take folic acid. I was recently told by my rheumatologist to bump up my intake to 1.6 mgs. I bought my folic acid at the store. It's cheap. You might find either 400mcg's or .8 mgs at the store. If I were you I wouldn't get too upset about using it. I even drink beer though I shouldn't and everything has been fine with me. I'm to have blood tests done every 6 weeks and I see the doctor every 3 months.

So don't fret about using it. Methotrexate has been around for decades. Good luck with it. MV

Last edited by Mission_Void; 12-02-2003 at 07:27 PM.

Old 12-03-2003, 03:37 PM   #9

Berenk HB User

I have pretty much the same story to tell. Started with Cervical Spondylosis. (Spinal Problems helped me wonderfully this last couple years...) Then in August my wrists, ankles, toes, fingers became stiff, painful and swollen. Am now taking Methotrexate.... Started first dose last Friday. Hair was already falling out - am just hoping I won't turn into a female skinhead...
Will follow all your news and will post anything happening to me
B

Old 12-06-2003, 02:14 PM   #10

SIMPS HB User

debbie-do

I have been on methatrexate for the past 4 weeks, like you are taking 7.5mg per week. I started geting migraine - upto 5 per week. Have spoken with Rhemy's nurse she says this can happen and the dose of folic acid I take with it just needs adjusting so have appointment Monday so will discuss this with him then.

However not liking the sound a taking this drug when the migraines started I stopped taking it for 2 weeks. The pain was horrible so I started taking it again.

Until you have a form of arthritis you don't realise that it is a whole body disease not just the joints as when it flares up I feel sick have headaches and stomach aches as well as all the muscles,tendons and tissue ache. I also have it in my rib cage and shoulders can be very dibilitating.

Debbie-Do all the best with the methotrexate I hpoe it helps you without bad side effects.

Keep posting like to hear how you're getting on.

Cheers

Simps(New Zealand)

Closed Thread