It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2003, 01:27 AM   #1
Inactive

UmmmmmWTF HB User
Post feelin the weather

hi. last year, i crashed a motorcycle. i've noticed lately that whenever its very humid, and its gonna rain, i can feel my left knee start hurting. which is the knee i hurt in the accident. also my neck gets kinda stiff. is this arthritis, or just some weather forcasting muscles?

Old 08-22-2003, 08:48 PM   #2

babydolltahiti HB User
Hi,

I was a pedestrian struck and injured by a car while crossing the street on a crosswalk. I also get a stiff neck and a painful left knee when it is humid or when it rains. I have arthritis in the neck and in the left knee. So it is very possible that weather changes cause pain in people who have arthritis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2003, 03:17 PM   #3

Bradly HB User
I can't guarantee you that you are having arthritis but I know I have Osteoarthritis of the spine and my neck, upper arms, and middle back will start to get much more stiff than usual when it is either humid, raining and a lot of times I start to feel more pain before it rains. Sometimes I feel pain when moisture or rain is not in our area but close to the area. I feel the best when I am in a warm dry climate. Unfortunately I don't live in an area like that. Winter is the hardest time for me because it is cold and moist most of the time. I have a dehumidifier in my room and this helps me, especially when moisture starts to move into the area. Actually, my body starts to get stiff and hurt much more just a little bit after I am exposed to water. Either a shower, swimming or being in the rain. You should have a MRI done to see if this shows up anything and an EMG is also a good test to have done in the area that bothers you. Best of luck!

Old 09-04-2003, 09:08 PM   #4
Inactive

SFangel HB User
Hi, Bradly

I had a cervical spine MRI in May 2003. It showed disk degenerative disease, disk protrusions, pinched nerves, spinal stenosis.

How would an EMG help me?

Thanks.

Old 09-09-2003, 11:51 PM   #5

Bradly HB User
Smile

The EMG tends to be more accurate. A lot of times the MRI does not show all problems or the severity of the problem. Plus the EMG can help to pinpoint the problem better than an MRI. The EMG is basically reading the signals that your nerves are sending to the muscles.

Old 09-10-2003, 05:18 AM   #6

woma_nay48 HB User
Hi there! One question, maybe a dumb one, but here goes! What is an EMG? I know what an MRI is, just not an EMG. Not very medically informed here...hehe

Thanx, Woma Nay

btw, I have RA and yes the weather effects it!...

Old 09-10-2003, 07:03 PM   #7
Inactive

SFangel HB User
Hi, Woma Nay

Woma Nay, here is some information on EMGs. I am not allowed to post the name of the web site it came from. The post is long because I do not know how much information you want.

"What is an electromyogram?" An electromyogram (EMG) is a test that is used to record the electrical activity of muscles. When muscles are active, they produce an electrical current. This current is usually proportional to the level of the muscle activity. An EMG is also referred to as a myogram.

EMGs can be used to detect abnormal muscle electrical activity that can occur in many diseases and conditions, including muscular dystrophy, inflammation of muscles, pinched nerves, peripheral nerve damage (damage to nerves in the arms and legs), amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) (also known as Lou Gehrig disease), myasthenia gravis, disc herniation, and others.

"Why is an EMG test done?" An EMG is most often performed when patients have unexplained muscle weakness. The EMG helps to distinguish between muscle conditions in which the problem begins in the muscle and muscle weakness due to nerve disorders. The EMG can also be used to detect true weakness, as opposed to weakness from reduced use because of pain or lack of motivation.

"What kinds of EMG are there?" There are two types of EMG: intramuscular EMG and surface EMG (SEMG).

Intramuscular EMG (the most commonly used type) involves inserting a needle electrode through the skin into the muscle whose electrical activity is to be measured.

Surface EMG (SEMG) involves placing the electrodes on (not into) the skin overlying the muscle to detect the electrical activity of the muscle.

Intramuscular EMG is the "classic" form of EMG (and is the main subject here).

"How is an intramuscular EMG done?" A needle is inserted through the skin into the muscle. The electrical activity is detected by this needle (which serves as an electrode). The activity is displayed visually on an oscilloscope and may also be displayed audibly through a microphone.

Since skeletal muscles are often large, several needle electrodes may need to be placed at various locations to obtain an informative EMG.

After placement of the electrode(s), the patient may be asked to contract the muscle (for example, to bend the leg).

The presence, size, and shape of the wave form (the action potential) produced on the oscilloscope provide information about the ability of the muscle to respond to nervous stimulation. Each muscle fiber that contracts produces an action potential. The size of the muscle fiber affects the rate (how frequently an action potential occurs) and the size (the amplitude) of the action potential.

"How do you prepare for an intramuscular EMG?" For adults, no special preparation is needed. For infants and children, the physical and psychological preparation depends on the child's age, behavior, and prior experience. (For instance, has the child been traumatized by another medical or dental procedure?)

"Does an EMG hurt?" Yes. There is some undeniable discomfort at the time the needle electrodes are inserted. They feel like shots (intramuscular injection), although nothing is injected during an EMG. Afterwards, the muscle may feel a little sore for up to a few days.

"What is the current status of a surface EMG (SEMG)?"
SEMG has some attractive features. Most notably, it does not involve piercing the skin and does not hurt. However, the available medical literature indicates that the clinical value of the information gathered by SEMG has not been well established.

The American Association of Electrodiagnostic Medicine has reported: "There is in fact almost no literature to support the use of SEMG in the clinical diagnosis and management of nerve or muscle disease." Still, the SEMG may prove of value in the future in helping to monitor the progression of disorders of the nerves and muscles.

"What other test is done during an intramuscular EMG?"
A nerve conduction velocity (NCV) test is often done at the same time as an EMG. In this test, the nerve is electrically stimulated while a second electrode detects the electrical impulse ‘down stream’ from the first. This is usually done with surface patch electrodes (they are similar to those used for an electrocardiogram) that are placed on the skin over the nerve at various locations. One electrode stimulates the nerve with a very mild electrical impulse. The resulting electrical activity is recorded by the other electrodes. The distance between electrodes and the time it takes for electrical impulses to travel between electrodes are used to calculate the speed of impulse transmission (nerve conduction velocity). A decreased speed of transmission indicates nerve disease.

The NCV test can be used to detect true nerve disorders (such as neuropathy) or conditions whereby muscles are affected by nerve injury (such as carpal tunnel syndrome). Normal body temperature must be maintained for the NCV test, because low body temperatures slow nerve conduction.

The word "electromyography" looks dauntingly long but it is made up of three parts: "electro-" + "-myo-" + “-graphy.” (“-myo-“ is from the Greek "mys", meaning muscle and “graphy" comes from the Greek "grapho" meaning to write) . So electromyography literally is the writing (recording) of muscle electricity.

Old 09-10-2003, 07:07 PM   #8
Inactive

SFangel HB User
Hi, bradly

Thanks for the information.

You said: "The EMG is basically reading the signals that your nerves are sending to the muscles." If the nerves in my leg muscles are not "firing", would the EMG detect it?

Do EMGs help diagnose muscle problems caused by nerve disorders?

Thanks.

Old 09-25-2003, 05:19 AM   #9

AussieChick HB User
Hi Ummmmmmwtf
My cousin and i are both arthritis sufferers but with different forms. He is a farmer and tells me the best thing about the drought in Australia is his arthritis settles...so while everyone else is doing a rain dance, he hopes it stays dry for pain sake. Guess that supports your theory about weather effecting arthritis. My hands are at their worst in the cold, and feel better bandaged or atleast in gloves during Winter. Haven't had RA long enough to experience humidity but with summer approaching, i'm sure i'm about to find out what effect it has.

Closed Thread