It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2003, 06:58 PM   #1

connieg HB User
Smile arthritis of the Skull and Neck

I have just been told I have arthritis of the SKULL and NECK And Feet plus my back seems like all over,but the back of my head and my neck kill me all the time. Does anyone else have this/ I start pt Tuesday. I hope it woks .I am taking no pain pills or anything only SUPER BLUE STUFF

Old 05-19-2003, 01:34 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User
I have never heard of arthritis of the skull. Not to say it doesn't exist. Did a doctor tell you this? I also have slight arthitis of the neck though. Nothing ever seemed to helped. It felt like a very bad stiff neck and it would last for weeks. So I just had to wait it out. I haven't had a flare-up in a couple years though. Thank Goodness! Does that Super Blue Stuff work for you? I've seen it advertised but like everything else believe it's a scam. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2003, 05:47 PM   #3

connieg HB User
DAWNRISE
MY DOCTOR DID A WHOLE BODY BONE SCAN AND X-RAYS OF MY NECK AND HEAD AND THIS IS SHE TOL DME I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS EITHER. I USE SUPER BLUE STUFF ALL THE TIME AND I GET IT ONLINE @www.bluestuff.com.I AM IN CONSTANT PAIN ALL THE TIME AND HAVE BEEN FOR A FEW MONTHS NOW. I AM AT THE POINT THAT I CAN'T EVEN LIFT MY ARMS UP TO DO MUCH OF ANYTHING. WISH ME LUCK IN PT TOMORROW.

Old 05-20-2003, 02:18 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User
I certainly hope you find some relief soon. Arthritis is so painful and it wears a person out. Well, I know it does me. What kind do you have? I have psoriatic arthritis, which is being treated with Enbrel right now. Good luck to you!

Old 05-22-2003, 05:50 PM   #5

connieg HB User
THE DR HASN'T TOLD ME WHAT KIND YET,ALL I KNOW RIGHT NOW IS THIS IS PAINFUL.TO BE HONEST WITH YOU IT HURTS EVEN WHEN I AM ON THE PC BUT YOU DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO. I CAN'T STOP IF I DO THEN I WILL HAVE PROBLEMS. I TAKE A SLEEPING PILL AT NIGHT JUST TO GET SOME REST.I AM NOT ON ANYTHING YET SHE WANTS TO TRY OUT THE PT FIRST.THANKS

Old 05-25-2003, 05:12 AM   #6

derwen85 HB User
Smile

Connie,
I went thru a spell of severe skull and neck pain.I could not hold my head up and to rest the back of my head on a pillow was very painful.Is that what you go thru?I take Flexerol and has helped greatly.I have Anylosing Spondylitis...an arthritis of the spine.Believe that had something to do with it.

Old 06-12-2003, 12:32 PM   #7

jltk HB User
I have just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis of the neck, bulging disks, and bone spurs on C4 and C5. I have been in significant pain for past 6 months. Bextra seemed to help in the beginning but doesn't do much now. I have taken ultracet plus but it dosen't do much either. Soma seems to help more than any thing. After the MRI the doc said it was not something we should consider doing surgery for. I am 47 yoa. I also have multiple scelrosis. I am wondering if I should just try to live with the pain or ask for other meds? Also lifting seems to agravate it a lot. Is that normal. The PT found fibrous nodules on my left shoulder I wonder if that is common with this problem.

Old 06-13-2003, 07:06 AM   #8

jltk HB User
Hi Ron,

Thanks so much for responding. I have printed the article for my doc. We do treat any infections quickly because they seem to start a MS flare. However I have never taken any anti viral meds. I am quite blessed in the fact that I seem to have long intervals between my flares. Of course it is much worse in summer because of the heat. I have learned to cope quite well. A person must make a decision about the way to handle a cronic illness. It either has you or you have it, and the fight is much easier if you are in control. The neck problems were a bit difficult to accept because of the pain but I am getting a handle on those too! I do not believe in giving up I may not be able to control what happens to my body but I can control my reaction to it. I respect how others handle their probs but for me a positive attitude is my best warrior against my medical battles. Have a great day!!!

Old 06-15-2003, 04:55 PM   #9
Inactive

Lavender76 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by connieg:
I have just been told I have arthritis of the SKULL and NECK And Feet plus my back seems like all over,but the back of my head and my neck kill me all the time. Does anyone else have this/ I start pt Tuesday. I hope it woks .I am taking no pain pills or anything only SUPER BLUE STUFF
Connie, when I saw your post, it made me think about my ordeal. I spinal stenosis in neck (C-5,C-6), bones spurs there also. I also have Degenerative disc disease in L5, L6 to S whatever. Also osteoarthritis. I have had low back problems for many years then all this other stuff kicked in in the last few years. I had MRI's etc. a year ago, went to arthritis doc., she ordered MRI's and told me she wanted to send me to a Pain Clinic, then went to Neurosurgeon,he told me there are none here in my state that treat the whole person, and suggested P.T. I did it until I about broke the bank and it did help (my insurance won't cover it). I've had a pretty good year, but just the last month, its like everything has started again, but now w/neck problems I also have pain in my scull that makes me feel like I'm having a stroke. Does anyone know if having the neck problems can actually cause nerve problems in the head, like they do down my left arm? I take Vioxx which doesn't really help and I have tremendous problems w/sleep due to pain. But I wanted to mentioned a product that I like better than super blue stuff (which is made here in OK) and that is Biofreeze. My son got it at a chiropractors office. I have ordered it off the internet and it's a cooling type gel, also, but I like it better and I went thru several bottles of superblue stuff first. You might give it a try and if anyone knows anything to help me other than jumping off a cliff I would love to know. I got divorced after 28 years, remarried after 6 years recently and sometimes I wonder if it's fair to my husband now that I'm gimped up, because we love to travel and as of now pain is pretty much controling my life. Thanks for all my ramblings.

Old 06-23-2003, 06:36 PM   #10

connieg HB User
Sorry I haven't answered your note. I went to PT today and told him about the Biofreeze and he was getting ready to tell me about it anyway he gave me some samples to try and I am going to do that tonight. The PT has suggested in letter to my Dr that I go another 4 wks of PT. I jusst wish there was at least something that would help,so far nothing.I go for an epidural 7/1 for my back pain,I am going to talk to my pain Dr about the neck and shoulder.I also have an MRI 6/25 so I will let you know what happens. I just pray for a little ease from this pain.

------------------

[This message has been edited by connieg (edited 06-23-2003).]

Old 07-05-2003, 02:11 PM   #11

StillWater HB User
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lavender76:
I've had a pretty good year, but just the last month, its like everything has started again, but now w/neck problems I also have pain in my scull that makes me feel like I'm having a stroke. Does anyone know if having the neck problems can actually cause nerve problems in the head, like they do down my left arm?

Would you explain what you mean when you talk about pain in your skull feeling like you're having a stroke? I get a numbness and burning in my skull that apparently is a type of neuropathy. (at least that's the only thing the dr could think of, when I described it). I do have arthritis in my neck. I'm now taking neurontin for other nerve pain, and this feeling in my skull has mostly disappeared.

Old 07-05-2003, 05:01 PM   #12
Inactive

navy2 HB User
Hi!

Do you have a crackling up the back of your skull and neck? This is what I have. I've been told it was crepitus, weak muscles, and too much range of mation.
It really depends on whether I talk to my chiro, PT, or MD. I hope you feel better soon.

Navy

Old 07-06-2003, 07:52 AM   #13
Inactive

Patmg HB User
Hi: I have spinal arthritis and 15 degenerating spinal disks; had neck and lumbar surgery. Understand that when the spine is damaged, the nerves "tweek" and scream there is something wrong, when in fact, there is no nerve damage being done. The disks themselves as they degenerate can cause pain. Some people's disks have the nerves imbedded deeper into them than others do, thus causing more pain. Also, my neck fusion shifted during healing, causing vertebre above C5-6 to collaspse down. However, know that with spinal arthritis, the areas where the nerves exit off the spine can get arthritic and as one moves, those tiny exit holes (called foramin), can get bone spurs and "rake" over the nerves causing pain. However, these areas are tiny and to do surgery to remove these bone spurs would cause more damage than good. Plus, my vertebre are "lipped" with arthritis. Realize that the spine "refers" pain up and down it. Along either side of the spinal cord run a chain of ganglia (nerve chains). The spinal sensations run up and down these nerve chains causing "referred" pain. It is like a short in an electrical wire. My skull is fine (not saying you don't have your condition); this is my experience. However, my neck is damaged, thus, I actually get pain and tingling in the top of my head. All your sensory (taste, hearing) nerves are around the top of the head, thus that pain is being referred up (and down). I always have a headache, sometimes all my teeth hurt. Disk bulges (soft tissue) move in and out and shift from side to side. If my teeth on my right side hurt, I tilt my head to the other side, and I can actually feel the disk bulge shifting (causing numbness, burning, etc.) to the other side of my neck. Then my teeth hurt on the other side; thus, I know, it is coming from my neck and referring upward to the trigmental nerve (3 headed nerve, one head goes to the teeth). Think about phantom pain in an amputee (my dad was amputee). His toes on the amputated limb hurt and itched. Dad's nerves to the toes were still intact in the upper leg. It is a type of referred pain.

I buy medical books and anatomy books at yard sales and I ask tons of questions. I have an undying couriosity about what is "in there" making me feel so nasty. My entire spine is a mess, per my doctor, just from heavy lifting of firewood and snow shoveling for years, due to sick spouse and my genetics. Hope this helps explain some of the weird sensations you are getting. Take care, Patmg

Old 07-06-2003, 06:54 PM   #14
Inactive

navy2 HB User
Right now i just have the crackling in my neck and up the back of my skull. i don't have pain to speak of. Before this started I had little neck discomfort. So, I/m not sure what started it. I just started on glucosamine and was told it might help stop it.

navy

Old 08-09-2003, 05:12 AM   #15

momnfour45 HB User
Talking

I thought I died and went to heaven yesterday, when I was searching for topics relating to my symptons and found this forum. I am currently under an orthopedics care, doing PT three times a week and recently went to a Neuro for the following: bulging disks above and below area of which I had a fusion done three years ago.I get constant Headaches, face pain, earaches, (yet never any infections) stiff neck, constant pain in left side of head, I can't find a comfortable position when sleeping as my head is in constant pain. I even read about how someones teeth hurt. Wow, this is great.( not the pain part) I was beginning to think I was just going crazy or it was stress. I am waiting for results of MRI just taken on Friday for my Neuro,I plan to print some of the posts and bring them on my next visit. I assumed this was some sort of Arthritis, but was not sure. THanks for letting me post.

------------------
Gd Bless

Closed Thread