It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2003, 01:55 AM   #1

jitter girl HB User
Question Knee Replacement--Recovery time?

My 51 year old mother had total knee replacement about 4 weeks ago. Since the surgery, we have gotten conflicting information about recovery/physical therapy. It's so frustrating! One person tells her she's doing so well. The next time she goes in, someone tells her she's not performing up to par. This is starting to cause some depression. Wishing she hadn't had the surgery, crying all the time, etc.

She is constantly doing the exercises they tell her to do. What the hell else is there?????

------------------
~JG

The Following User Says Thank You to jitter girl For This Useful Post:
jpmcdee (04-24-2012)
Old 09-28-2003, 06:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twokatss HB User
Knee replacement is the most painful thing ever. She will just have to keep up with the excercises even tho they really hurt. It will take about 6 months to get back to near normal but actually takes about a year or so. It really hurts to excercise but she has to just grin and bear it. I had mine done 2 years ago and am just glad I do not have the pain I had before. However I am 57 and very limited to what I do Like kneeling (can't do that) My knee is still stiff too. I have excellent range of motion tho. Hope this helps. THE EXCERCISE IS THE KEY!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2003, 09:55 AM   #3

jitter girl HB User
Thanks, twokatss. I agree with you, knee replacement is brutal. The surgery itself is the easy part. Recovery is the hardest thing I've ever seen anyone go through. I think the most frustrating thing has been that every doctor/physical therapist, ect. tells her something different.

She's definitely been complying with physical therapy. She goes 3x per week and does exercises at home also. I guess maybe we just didn't realize how rough this road was gonna be.

I try to help with taking her to appts, grocery shopping, housework, etc. I just feel helpless, though. I don't know how else to help.

Thanks again for the response.

------------------
~JG

Old 09-28-2003, 08:29 PM   #4
Inactive

sjg2752 HB User
jitter girl,
My Mother is 77 yo. she had one knee replaced 3 years ago. Had to have back surgery due to Arthritis w/a broken foot. (That's another story) Anyway she had the other knee replaced a year ago.Inbetween she kept up with her exercises on the knees even before she had the last knee done.She still does these exercises everynight before she goes to sleep.Of course I helped her as much as I could.She& My Dad live with me. But I have to say it's been a long road.But as for my mother.She has done great considering her age & everything.She now has very bad problems with her hips. It's awful what Arthritis can due to a person. The knees being replaced helped with movement a great deal ,and she didn't have much choice ,but to have them done.But she now also suffers from RLS. So now she has to take medication for that. I have to say though with all she puts up with.I admire her,because I sure don't know if I could do it. She had the same problem your mother did. First one said she was doing great,and than another one thought she could do better. Well my mother is a very strong willed women. So she just told them she thought she was doing great ,and it suited her ,and it wasn't hurting her knees. So she thought they were coming along alright.She told them it would take her time to get them going,and she'd keep working at it ,and she did! Of course she can't get down on her knees , or anything.And my mother is on the heavy side,but I have to say I'm really proud of her, and all the work she has done. She also had depression over this ,but I know it helped when I told her how proud of her I was. I wish you & your mother the best of luck!! You'll make it! Hang in there! Best Wishes! sjg

Old 09-29-2003, 11:58 AM   #5

jitter girl HB User
Thank you both so much for your responses. Chance, I'm glad to hear you're doing so well and sjg, your mother sounds like an amazing woman.

I'm going to print these out for mom to read.

I think she's stressed about going back to work. She's single and can't take much time off work to recover. She's supposed to go back week after next, which will only be 6 weeks post-op. She's a 2nd grade teacher. I don't see how it's going to be possible.

You two take care and thanks again!

------------------
~JG

[This message has been edited by jitter girl (edited 09-29-2003).]

Closed Thread