It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2004, 11:53 AM   #1

Royalty HB User
Has your condition brought you closer to God or farther away?

I see people who: abuse their children, abuse street drugs, sell drugs to kids, womanize, cheat on their husband/wife, the list goes on.....

they all seem fine and with no health problems.

i sometimes question my faith but i still believe.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2004, 09:02 AM   #2

GracieGirl HB User
Re: Has your condition brought you closer to God or farther away?

That is a big question.

If you are a believer the answer has to be "brings you closer". And there are several reasons this is so.

As C. S. Lewis once said "pain is God's megaphone". It gets your attention. My pain had made me rely on Him instead of myself. I can do nothing without Him. And I am painfully aware of this every moment of every day. Many days when I am confined to my bed the only place I can look is up.

Also, this world is not perfect, it is fallen. We have to remember in this life there will be pain, that is why we were not meant to be of this world. We have to look forward to a better place. For many of us that is a long way off, so in the mean time how do we deal with this pain? The answer one day, one moment at a time. No, it is not easy. He never said it would be. But it is possible.

I know what you mean about others who seem to lead sinful lives, yet prosper. I admit it angers me, too at times. But we have to remember if you are a believer then God said that some are so sinful that He gives them over to their own devices. It may seem they are having fun and enjoying life now, but we do not know what it around the corner from them. We have to keep in mind that God disciplines those He loves. If you have children you understand this. If you were to let your children run wild they might enjoy themselves for a time, but will eventually get into trouble. If you really care for the child you will discipline him so they can grow. It is the same way with God. He loves us enough to get our attention from time to time, so we too can grow.

Finally, I believe we are given pain sometimes for a bigger purpose. He sometimes prepares us for bigger things. Sometimes, it is not all about us. We are to learn from our pain so we can help others. Perhaps some are given a period of pain that when God brings them through it He can use that experience to help others. Pain teaches me lessons I would have never learned on my own. I now have a heart for the suffering, whereas before I might not have been so sensitive.

I don't have all the answers, but He does. Rely on Him. Trust in Him. Don't give up on Him. He hasn't given up on you.

Hope this helps,
Grace

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2004, 06:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Anxiety Man HB User

Hello, I'm new on this particular health problem sector. I just had to say how beautiful I thought that reply was, Gracie Girl! That really says it all. I really came here out of desperation for my poor suffering wife, Barb.

She's had r.a. for years, but over the past year, she has had unbearable back pain, and can only get by on Darvocet right now. We've had everything imagineable tried and tested. It finally came down to a very spendy MRI last week! We will learn results of it next Tue. This was for her back. She has something like nerve jumps or spasms that kick her like a mule and hurt her horribly! She even has them while sitting or laying down, and not even moving! This is aside from the constant pain.

She got up the other a.m. with a swollen finger on her left hand, and her rt. elbow looking like a golfball with swelling. I took her to the clinic where she was given a steroid shot with two kinds of meds in it. One was Decadron, the other, I forget.

There are no rheumatologists in our town now, but we were told she needs under close supervision of one. The nearest now is 90 miles away.

This is so involved, I should have posted it separate but I get wound up when sharing my worries with others. Please forgive me.

Keep us in prayer, folks, and we will thank you so much. We don't know how things are going to land, but Barb needs something that will help other than steroids. She's been on prednisone since '97, and that has caused some osteo too. It's a real myriad of problems for her now.

Thanks for letting me share our situation with you.

Tony

Old 02-21-2004, 08:46 PM   #4

Royalty HB User

tony- RA is PROPERLY treated with antibiotics. do a google search. RA is caused by a BACTERIAL infection.

Soon the phrase "auto immune disorder" will be a tem of the past.

Doctors once thought that Stomach ulcers were caused by stress. In the 80's they finally realized that they are cause by a bacteria called H PYLORI

People were once diagnosed with RA it wasnt RA at all. It was lyme disease. doctors discovered LYME DISEASE in the 80's. This is treated and CURED with antibiotics.

The problem with RA is that rheumatologists are truly pathetic doctors. They dont help, they only COVER up the pain with cortisone shots and Anti Inflammatories. There will be permanent damage to the joints because of their ingorance (just like people who suffered for years thinking that pain killers and stress medications would take care of their ulcers) There are some decent rheumatologists out there.

Seriously, can you imaginge a Woman going to her doctors with a urinary tract infection and the doc giving her MOTRIN to take down the inflammation of the bladder.....insane. That would be covering up the sympyoms without taking care of the true problem.

I have said this before....do a google search for RA and mycoplasma (bacteria that causes RA)

If people here dont believe me...I dont care...they can go on suffering. Others- Find a rhuematologist that perscribes antibiotics for RA and get true help now!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-22-2004, 07:57 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Anxiety Man HB User

Thanks, Royalty. I'd never heard that, but I'm still learning all my life! I'll check that out on Google. That sounds right, due to the fever she runs nearly all the time, like any other infection would cause! It does make sense to me. I'll ask our FNP about this Tue. and see if she agrees or "duh, er...uhhh"!

Old 02-22-2004, 03:00 PM   #6
(female)

nooyawker HB User

To Royalty,

I'm wondering if you are speaking from personal experience with RA. Can you name the bacteria that causes it? I must inform you that RA is not an infectious disease otherwise people would just take antibiotics and be cured.
Many people would like to think it is an infection instead of a disorder of the immune system. It is true that prednisone or antiinflammatories will not help the disease, they are only pain relievers. Anyone with RA should be taking a DMARD along with pain medication.

Old 02-22-2004, 06:24 PM   #7

Royalty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety Man
Thanks, Royalty. I'd never heard that, but I'm still learning all my life! I'll check that out on Google. That sounds right, due to the fever she runs nearly all the time, like any other infection would cause! It does make sense to me. I'll ask our FNP about this Tue. and see if she agrees or "duh, er...uhhh"!

Your welcome bro. Most docs dont seem perscribe antibiotics for this yet. Find one who does.......quickly. Lose dose/long term antibiotics put RA in to remission!

Old 02-25-2004, 04:07 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalty
I see people who: abuse their children, abuse street drugs, sell drugs to kids, womanize, cheat on their husband/wife, the list goes on.....

they all seem fine and with no health problems.

i sometimes question my faith but i still believe.
I get angry sometimes, we are such a fallen world and imperfect humans but I think God allows for humanity and venting about your condition with him is acceptable.

Closed Thread