It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2003, 05:34 PM   #1

claudeintexas HB User
Post New medicines being tested for arthritis

I wanted to pass on information about new medicines being tested for arthritis that offer hope. You can go to a free website at [url="http://www.phrma.org"]http://www.phrma.org[/url] to view medicines under study.

One potential medicine for rheumatoid arthritis discussed used a "trap" technology that binds a cytokine or growth factor -- protein signals that trigger inflammation -- very tightly. These protein signals bind to and activate antenna-like structures known as receptors on the surface of target cells. The "trap" sequesters these cytokines or growth factors before they can bind to a receptor and induce disease activity.

Also I'd like to remind everyone of another free website, [url="http://www.helpingpatients.org."]http://www.helpingpatients.org.[/url] If you are needy or caring for a needy person, you can go to this website and see if qualifications are met for free medicines through drug manufacturer patient assistance programs.

Old 09-02-2003, 07:50 AM   #2
(female)

VeggieQueen58 HB User
Thank you, Claude. I'm glad new drugs are being developed. With all the research going on, I have high hopes even a cure might be found. Something to just turn off the "attack" message in our bodies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2003, 08:07 PM   #3
Inactive

Lavender76 HB User
You would think if we can put a man on the moon, someone could find a cure for some of these problems, like arthritis, etc. I truly believe the pharmaceuticals are party responsible because they would lose money and I think they pay off researchers, etc. in order to keep the money flowing. Needless to say, I am not high on Pharmaceutical companies. They have way too much power. I see the reps swarming around the doctors offices every time I go. It's a big business.

Old 10-03-2003, 12:24 AM   #4

AussieChick HB User
Something to look forward to...thanks for the info Claude(Be a decade before we'll get it here though...can't even access enbrel yet.) Isn't it a pity no-one will put up the bucks to do proper scientific studies on other factors such as diet. As Lavender suggests,it's in the pharmaceutical companies best interests to look and promote drug cures because it makes them rich but no-one will get rich investigating natural remedies and i'm sure they're out there too. Until i had RA, i was naive to the tragic link between politics and healthcare.

Old 10-03-2003, 09:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
Unfortunately politics are everywhere including natural remedies,(they have CEO folks making bucks off of us to)I'm no pharma fan either, consider that we live longer than our ancestors only because we do have medicene to treat now what use to kill back in our great granny days. Natural or herbal medicene has all the drawbacks conventional med does and for some reason people don't see it that way, like every herbal or natural medicinal product was concocted at grandma Annies house instead of in a lab with men working out a way to line their pockets to. I worked in one and believe me it isn't any different a philosphy than conventional med. We had sales meetings to influence naturopaths or health food stores, making a product more appealing to the consumer laziness, it would make your hair stand on end to know they really don't care as much for the public safety as you would like to think. Conventional/Natural drugs, herbs it's all a booming business, all trying to get our bucks at whatever cost!

Closed Thread