It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2003, 04:41 PM   #1

mamba484 HB User
Question uni knee replacement/glucosamine??

I was scheduled to have a uni knee replacement for the lateral part of my knee on Friday Oct.3. I called and cancelled the surgery today because I talked to someone about glucosamine and he said I should try it for 30 days before I decide to have the surgery. He is an herbalist and said he has a pill that also has a couple other ingredients in it, including msm. I was wondering if anyone has ever had this surgery and their results and also if anyone has taken the glucosamine with good results. Any advice would be helpful as both my knees are in horrible shape with the right being the worst. I am only 45 and of course total knee replacements are out of the question. Please give me some input. Thanks mamba484

Old 09-30-2003, 05:35 PM   #2
(female)

JeanneMarie HB User
Talking

Hi.
I have taken Glucocosamine Sulfate, 1500mgs pr day for 6 months now. My doctor advised that I take Glucosamine without the Chondrotin and MSM. I went from real bad aching knees to very tolerable. I also rub a MSM cream with Glucosamine into my knees at night. I think that helps also. So between the both of them, my knees aren't getting any worse. I don't know how I would have been now if I had not used any either of them. I'm assuming I'd be taking meds for pain control. I think I'd go the Glucosamine route and see what happens. Surgery always last resort. Jmho.
Good luck.

------------------
JeanneMarie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2003, 05:45 PM   #3
Inactive

Fuchsia_Lay HB User
glucosamine sulfate has helped me tremendously....!

Old 10-02-2003, 05:56 PM   #4

mamba484 HB User
Hi there again! Thanks for the input but now I have another question. You both said glucosamine sulfate is what you take and it works for you. I went and bought generic glucosamine and chondroitin, which are in same pill. Is there a difference between the glucosamine sulfate and the just plain glucosamine? Also, what about the sodium? There is 90 mg in these pills also. Is that high or normal or what? Thanks for any help I can get.

Old 10-02-2003, 09:21 PM   #5
Inactive

Fuchsia_Lay HB User
hi - i can't say i've seen glucosamine sulfate with sodium as an ingredient.
as for the difference between just gluc. and G/S - sorry don't know.
I remember when I was shopping for a brand - i found some website site listing trials and which products really contained the amounts of G/S claimed.
as far as I know e n z y m a t i c t h e r a p y
is suppsed to have one of the purest forms available--a little more expensive; but high quality.. called GS500... do a bit of homework & get on it !!
took me approx. 2 months to nice pretty good benefits--have been on for about 2 years now & life is much much better--before OA of the knees had me down down down... good luck !!

Old 10-03-2003, 05:50 PM   #6
(female)

JeanneMarie HB User
Hi.
You asked about sodium with your Glucosamine Sulfate. Well I started out with that blend in a pill, and I started hurting so bad, I had to take Excedrin for the pain. I didn't need pain pills before. I thought, this is ridiculos and besides I'm on a durectic to take sodium out of my system and I'm adding to it with these pills. So I immediately bought a different brand `without` the sodium and Wow, what a difference. Me personally, I'd go get the Glucosamine Sulfate only, leave off the Chrondrotin, people are afraid of that, for it's not regulated overseas where it is purchased and since overseas is where the mad cow disease it, there is no quarantee the cow cartlidge is disease free. I read up on this before I attempted to buy it, and I saw that many people won't buy it for that reason. That reason was good enough for me. Besides, my doctor said.....Glucosamine Sulfate only. Hope this helps.

------------------
JeanneMarie

Old 10-04-2003, 06:53 AM   #7
Inactive

zip2play HB User
Mamba,

I've had bad knees for decades and decades. I've tried a year of glucosamine/chondroiton (1500/1200 per day)...NOTHING.
I tried a year of MSM at high dosage....NOTHING.
DMSO daily til skin got raw...NOITHING.
Only thing left for me is a trip to Lourdes.

Try them all though before you go for the new knee....but don't hold out mega-hope!

Old 10-06-2003, 07:24 PM   #8

mamba484 HB User
Question

I have been researching the net about glucosamine products since I first posted a message on here. It sounds like to me that the liquid is suppose to be the best and fastest working. I bought a new kind this evening that is a packet you mix with water. It has no sodium in it like the other generic kind I bought. Does anyone have any views on the liquid kind? I will start taking it tomorrow. And has anyone ever had an allergic reaction to any of this? Thanks for any info.

Old 10-11-2003, 04:25 AM   #9

Sewfee HB User
I have taken glucosamine for years for my back, I think it helps a lot. My husband is scheduled for a partial knee replacement (unicondylar) on 10-14. If bad enough they will go ahead and do a full knee replacement.
Glucosamie helps preserve/rebuild (not sure of correct term) the cartlidge/disks. If all the disk is gone and there is bone on bone like my husband has, no amount of glucosamine will help.
You have to drink a lot of water also, the glucosamine will keep the joints/disks lubricated.

Closed Thread