It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2003, 10:06 AM   #1

laureli HB User
Post Arthroscopy on knee - still having problems

Hi everyone!

This is my first post here, and I was wondering if anyone else has had arthroscopic surgery. I had a torn menial meniscus that was very painful, so I decided to have this surgery. That was back in February, and my knee hurts just as bad as it did before the surgery. I went back to the surgeon 3 days ago, and he wrote it off as being arthritis, and wrote me a prescription for Relafen. So far, it has not helped the pain at all.

Is it normal (and/or common) to have problems after this type of surgery, I wonder?

Thanks!

Laureli

Old 10-09-2003, 05:28 PM   #2
Inactive

Fuchsia_Lay HB User
Depening on your age,, the knees could possibly bother you forever more (just what you wanted to hear I am sure)

What doctors don't tell patients is that when cartilage is removed,, it upsets the balance in the knee,,, that perfect shock absorber is not as it once was,, and things may begin to track differently inside. Over time - more wear and tear can occur and without the intact shock absorber - things can degrade.

There are such thigns as collagen meniscus implants and cartilage transplants. Conditions have to be fairly perfect for this and no pitting can be had in the articular (end of the bone cartilage).

I would say things are typical as you healig continues. Again,,, to hope for 100% someday is probably sishful thinking; but keep things stong and keep the fingers crossed things don't ear down for many many years.

Again-- doctors DO NO tell patients the ramifications of getting cartilage removed. They love to take things out and not put anything back in.

good luck ..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2003, 09:42 AM   #3

laureli HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Fuchsia_Lay:
Depening on your age,, the knees could possibly bother you forever more (just what you wanted to hear I am sure)

What doctors don't tell patients is that when cartilage is removed,, it upsets the balance in the knee,,, that perfect shock absorber is not as it once was,, and things may begin to track differently inside. Over time - more wear and tear can occur and without the intact shock absorber - things can degrade.

There are such thigns as collagen meniscus implants and cartilage transplants. Conditions have to be fairly perfect for this and no pitting can be had in the articular (end of the bone cartilage).

I would say things are typical as you healig continues. Again,,, to hope for 100% someday is probably sishful thinking; but keep things stong and keep the fingers crossed things don't ear down for many many years.

Again-- doctors DO NO tell patients the ramifications of getting cartilage removed. They love to take things out and not put anything back in.

good luck ..
Thank you, Fuchsia Lay!! I appreciate your input.:-)

Old 10-11-2003, 04:16 AM   #4

Sewfee HB User
My husband had arthrascopic surgery on both knees 3 & 4 years ago. It was a temporary fix to relieve the pain. It helped for a couple of years until the arthritis got worse. He is having a knee replacement Tuesday 10-14, hopefully that will solve the problem. The cortisone shot last month has relieve the pain and gotten him through the weeks before surgery.

Old 10-14-2003, 05:03 AM   #5

laureli HB User
Wow, Sewfee, I can't imagine having two bad knees... although that is probably what will happen to me eventually. I hope your husband's surgery today is a huge success. I have heard very good things about knee replacement; that it is like having brand new knees. Wish I could just go ahead and get that done.

Thanks for your reply, Sewfee...:-)

Closed Thread