It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2003, 05:22 AM   #1

gdblazecrecchio HB User
Lightbulb Enbrel

Just checking.. I'm getting ready to start enbrel injections and wondering what to expect. I've been on methotrextate for about 20 years, along with Arava for about two years.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Gina

Old 10-15-2003, 08:52 AM   #2
(female)

VeggieQueen58 HB User
Hi Gina, hope you check back. I'm having good results with Enbrel (knock on wood). My rheumy kept me on MTX but reduced the dose after the Enbrel kicked in. It took a few weeks to start noticing a change, after 2-3 months I feel dramatically different. Alas, I'm stuck with the joint damage that already occurred, but hopefully the Enbrel will prevent more damage from occurring.

I also didn't get any side effects like the MTX. The only bad thing is sometimes I bruise at the injection site. The current needles are really crappy. They are switching over to a new superfine needle. Maybe you will be lucky and start with the new needle, which is supposed to be released this month.

Injecting really isn't so bad once you get the hang of it. Have your doctor show you the first time. I had to watch the video several times before getting the hang of it. I get a better injection when I don't sit there hovering the needle over me, and just jab it in fast and quick. Again, the video gives very clear instructions.

Good luck, I hope your results are good. My sister has RA and her insurance won't let her use Enbrel or any of the new drugs! If you can use it, thank your lucky stars.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2003, 09:02 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Dawnrise HB User
I started Enbrel in April and was doing fantastic by July. Then I had surgery at the end of July and I believe the stress of the surgery or the anesthesia caused all the pain to come back. My family doctor says it should be temporary and could last up to 16 weeks. So in the meantime I'm taking MS Contin to help with the pain. (Not that it helps much, but of course I'm on the lowest dosage possible) So hopefully you'll be in the percentage that Enbrel helps. I was ecstatic to be able to do things that I haven't been able to do in years and I had so much energy to boot. I just hope this pain is all temporary. Good luck.

Old 10-15-2003, 10:07 AM   #4

gdblazecrecchio HB User
Cool

Veggie & Dawn: Thanks so much for the info, I've been waiting for something new for a while now. My insurance too did not cover it, but thru my Rheumy and the staff there they said I'm eligable for the assistance program which pays for all your injections based on your income. Here is some info for you if you feel you are eligable.. call this # 1-800-393-4675 called the ENcourage Foundation, they will screen you right over the phone then send you an application.
Like I said before I've had this disease since I was 4 so I'm use to all this change of meds, blood tests and whatever else you all have to go thru. I've had both my hips and knees replaced too so I have built up a pretty big size pain tolerance. Anyway good luck to all my fellow arthritis sufferers, hope I can help anyone out there. Thanks again for the info

Closed Thread