HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Arthritis (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/arthritis/)
-   -   MSM cream? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/arthritis/15175-msm-cream.html)

NancyH 10-14-2003 03:46 PM

MSM cream?

Has anyone tried the cream over joint area? did it help at all? I'm looking for at least reducing some of the inflamation in my fingers without taking drugs. Any one familiar with it? I'd appreciate your experience with it. thanks!

sunshine123 10-14-2003 11:30 PM

Hi Nancy: My husband has used an MSM cream on his knee for a few nights in a row. I think it's too soon to know if it's going to work. I hope so and I hope it will work for you too!!

JeanneMarie 10-15-2003 06:10 PM

Hi.
I have been rubbing MSM cream with Glucosamine into my knees at night for many months now. I diffentally think it works for me. For some reason, as soon as I shower it off, my knees start in aching more. I rub a good amount back into them, go to bed and they feel good in the AM. I make sure I don't run out of that. 4 oz. costs only $6.38. Not on sale, they say it costs $15.95, but I've never seen it 'off' sale. Good luck.

------------------
JeanneMarie

sunshine123 10-16-2003 09:58 AM

Hi JeanneMarie: What brand of cream do you use?

JeanneMarie 10-16-2003 07:05 PM

Hi Sue.
Puritan is the brand. They say what you rub into your skin, your skin absorbs it, so I figure I must be getting some help from it. I certainly think I do, it's not all in my head....;> ). I don't know if I am being helped by the Glucosamine pills though...but I hate to stop them, to see what happens. I've been riding my recumbent bike now about every day, at least 2 miles or more, and I also feel that is helping my knees. I can't take walking that far, but I can ride and only because I am pushing forward with my knees when riding the recumbent, rather than pushing down on a regular bike. I couldn't take riding a regular bike either. This recumbent cost me a pretty penny, but its well worth it, if it keeps me going, pretty much pain free. If I walk for two miles, I am in alot of pain the next day and that night, actually. I see excercise is the key, but how you do it, makes a big difference. I am convinced this Chrondomalacia is a fancy name for plain ol arthritis in the knee. Jmho.

------------------
JeanneMarie

sunshine123 10-16-2003 08:10 PM

Thanks JeanneMarie. I stopped taking Glucosamine/Chondroitin pills awhile back and either it's a coincidence or they really helped b/c my right knee is absolutely killing me. It was x-rayed recently and I do have osteoarthritis in it. I may have to start taking Glucosamine pills again, but I wish I knew which brand to get. I'd like a soft capsule and one that isn't humongous. I had been taking one from a health food store and didn't think it was doing much, but now my knee aches like I have a toothache in it. I too ride a recumbent bike. Bextra helps me sometimes and I started taking a liquid fish oil 2 weeks ago. I wish it would help so I could stop the Bextra!! Thanks again. Sue

JeanneMarie 10-17-2003 05:59 PM

Hi Sue.
Have you decided to go Glucosamine Sulfate only over the combination of Glucosamine and Chondrotin? Since my doctor told me to only use the GS without the Chrond, I don't know from experience if there is a difference in taking either of them. All I know,I don't trust that Chrondrotin, from what I read, it's from cow cartlidge that is gotten overseas because it's cheaper there, and that's where the mad cow disease is, so I and others avoid it, just for that reason. Maybe you should try the Gluc. Sulfate only and see what you think. I take a large capsule of Gluc Sulf. powder. I got a bottle of 750MG capsules, so they are not as large and I take one in the AM and one at supper time. I did try this from the same place I buy my MSM cream from, but I couldn't take it, because it contained sodium. I then found a health store in my city and I buy locally. It's distributed by Doctor's Best, Inc. Good luck. I hope you get control of your pain. Life becomes a struggle, sometimes. Keep biking.

------------------
JeanneMarie