It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2002, 10:10 AM   #1

Melanie7179 HB User
Question Hot Hands

I know this probaby sounds crazy - but has anyone had a problem with their hands and feet constanly feeling hot? I find myself standing in front of the fan, or putting them on cool objects just to try to cool them off. I've been on Methotrexate and Prednisone for several months now. It has drastically reduced the pain and swelling but I have this hot hand problem now.I also have been running a low grade fever (no idea why) so maybe this can be attributed to that??

Old 09-18-2002, 06:10 AM   #2
Inactive

MegHurts HB User
Hi Melanie! I know that right before I flare I get hot like that. My hands will get red and will be hot to the touch. After that, the achiness sets in. I hope that since your on medication and seemed to be controlled that you wont flare.

Since you are having a fever, you might want to mention it to your RD just to be safe. At any rate, I hope the best for you (that you wont flare)!

~Meg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2002, 06:53 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Hellokitty1973 HB User
My hands do get hot from time to time as well. Usually this happens when my body is warm or hot overall (like if I have been outside on a hot, humid day, etc..) Also, my fingers swell a little when I am hot. I totally understand about wanting to put your hands in something cold - I have ran my hands under cold water if they suddenly became hot. Oddly enough, it usually occurs after i have eaten soup or something else hot in temperature. Go figure!

Good luck - You're not alone!!

Old 09-18-2002, 09:06 AM   #4

Melanie7179 HB User
Smile

Thanks for all your input. Sometimes I think maybe I'm imagining things so it's nice to hear others have experienced the same. I saw my Dr. today and he said it the inflamation from the RA that causes my hands to feel hot and nothing can be done about it. Guess I'm lucky that's one of my only complaints at this time...could be worse.

Old 08-26-2003, 12:22 PM   #5

fran dubas HB User
Angry

Yes, I too know that feeling of hot hands. When I
sleep I look for cool spots on the bed, under my pillow and sometimes get a cold face cloth and sleep with it near my bed. I am 51 and can not remember when this started but it has been about 25 years, maybe more even the veins in my hands swell up. My feet are not affected with this condition. I felt at times I was
going crazy with this and if I told anyone they never
responed, so I just stopped telling friends or relatives. Perhaps pills might help but I am not willing to try any. I will just continue cooling them under water for relief. Good luck, if any name can be put to this please post it, am interested for my kids sake or their children they plan to have.
Fran

Old 08-26-2003, 01:06 PM   #6
(female)

Travel HB User
I understand that blood sugar problems can cause the hot hands and feet. You might want to get it checked if you don't already know. I had the problem a number of years ago but it got o.k. when I got my blood sugar problems under control.

Good Luck!!!

Elizabeth M.

Old 08-26-2003, 10:53 PM   #7

stems HB User
Hi Melanie:
When my hands get hot I fill a ziploc with ice cubes and shift it from one hand to another. Over the years my hands have "settled in" to a very warm temp overall..just one of those things we have to deal with, I guess..I like cold weather! I seem to feel better!

Old 10-21-2003, 06:36 AM   #8

scottieK HB User
Lightbulb

just a quick note. since I have had my spinal injuries and fusions I have had hot feet and burning down into my fingers. I think after all these years of trouble it is because the lack of circulation -it happens in bed most of the time- maybe the nerves are more impeded.
I have found relief by putting hot and cold on both hands and feet to trick the nerves. It usually is combined with the "kicking" kind of pain- the pain you can't kick out.
I will take an ice pack to bed and finally after awhile with it on feet I can sleep- good luck. Iwould love to hear what a prof would say

Old 10-21-2003, 06:55 AM   #9

Melanie7179 HB User
Hi Everyone. Since my first posting, my Dr. has decided that I have SLE and most likely not RA. My medication is the same and so are all my symptoms and tests. I'm a little skeptical about this, but I'm not a doctor. I also mentioned the hot hands to him. His reply was that the inflamation of the joints could cause them to feel hot. Since I'm most affected in my hands and wrists, I guess this makes sense. I recently bought a Chillow. I know... many people say they don't work. Really all it is a piece of foam encased in vinyl with a kind of flannel backing on one side. You fill it with water, squeeze the air out and close up the cap. You can use it on your pillow or inside the pillow case. At room temperature or put it in the refrigerator for an hour or so before using. I've found this to be one of my best purchases. I chill it an hour before bedtime, insert it inside the pillowcase over a flattened pillow, and it keeps my head and hands cool enough to fall asleep. By the time it warms, it's almost morning. I'm sleeping better than I have for years. Sorry this was so long winded! Thanks for all your input on the "hot hands" matter. Glad to know it isn't just imagined - that others have experienced the same. Wishing you all well...

Closed Thread