It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2003, 05:13 PM   #1

un35894 HB User
Question Osteoarthritis Feet & exercise

Anybody out there w/this problem & any suggestions for good exercise program when your feet are shot??
I have osteoarthritis in both feet (Great Toe Joints). I used to be VERY active & fit. Now, any movement that involves my feet kills me...walking, running, jumping, low-impact aerobics, etc. are out -- anything that involves the ball of the foot or requires bending the foot. Those joints have next-to-no range of motion. It feels like bone on bone. I am turning into a blob. Even walking slowly hurts like heck. Thanks!

Old 09-25-2003, 07:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
I have arthritis of the toes and fingers plus a few other places. I still go to the gymn and get on the crosstrainer, are you familiar with the eliptical machines at gymn? There is no impact on the feet as you move with the legs and hips, takes alot of pressure off the feet and toes. That is what i use on days when my feet and toes hurt too bad to walk a great distance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2003, 07:38 AM   #3

beabo HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by un35894:
Anybody out there w/this problem & any suggestions for good exercise program when your feet are shot??
I have osteoarthritis in both feet (Great Toe Joints). I used to be VERY active & fit. Now, any movement that involves my feet kills me...walking, running, jumping, low-impact aerobics, etc. are out -- anything that involves the ball of the foot or requires bending the foot. Those joints have next-to-no range of motion. It feels like bone on bone. I am turning into a blob. Even walking slowly hurts like heck. Thanks!
I HAVE SAME THING! GREAT TOE JOINTS ARE IN AGONY ALWAYS. WALKING HURTS, AS DOES AEROBICS, LUNGES, YOU NAME IT!! I AM A BODYBUILDER, OF COURSE LEG EXERCISES AND JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING ARE ALMOST UNTHINKABLE ANYMORE.. PAIN IS INCREASING RAPIDLY & DOC HAS NO ANSWERS OTHER THAN SURGERY YEARS DOWN THE ROAD-NO GUARANTEE WITH IT EITHER. I SAW SPECIALLY MADE SHOES ON A WEBSITE FOR AN ATHLETE WITH SIMILAR PROBS.. MAYBE WE COULD RESEARCH AND GET THESE? THEY GAVE ME NAPROXIN ? SPELLING? BUT ONLY USE FOR A WHILE CAUSE OF STOMACH PROBS. LET ME KNOW..

------------------
gina

Old 10-23-2003, 07:07 PM   #4

WarBonds HB User
UN35894,

I was in the same boat as you 5 years ago. I have osteoarthritis in both big toe joints and it hurt like h*** almost every day. It really began to depress me, since I was always active, on the go. My podiatrist was almost useless: he said take aspirin and rub your feet/toes with 535- rub and learn to live with it! Not good enough for me, so I went searching.....

I started taking 1500 mgs. of Glucosamine sulphate and 1200 mgs of Chondroitin sulphate EVERY DAY, and about 4 months later, did I feel alot better, believe me! I could walk almost 1 hour with not much pain at all. These 2 items can be bought at any health food store or drugstore. Make sure you buy a good, quality brand, don't just buy the cheapest brand.

Also, good stuff to take was lemon juice/oil available in any produce section of grocery store, and ginger and turmeric in spice section. These help with inflammation and glucosamine/chondroitin help with cartilage repair and rebuilding. Drink ample water too.

Nowadays, I still get minimal pain once in a while, but it is short lived and bearable. I didn't want to take drugs for life and surgery was an option I wanted to avoid at all costs. Yes, Beano, I also, took Naproxen ....after 3 days on it, my stomach said NO! No more Naproxen, never touched it since.

Also, important to note, you must wear properly fitted shoes with lots of cushioning for your joints. Shock absorbers for the feet!

Hope this helps; just my 2 cents worth.
I have been down this road, so I know only too well how you feel.

Best regards,
WarBonds

ps..... Give your feet a rest as much as possible and bathe them in cool/warm water, depending how you feel.
There is also one product, which I have begun taking recently which helps with removing toxins from the joints, it is herbal in nature, not drugs. This product is great, but I don't think I am allowed to mention it here on the boards, since it may sound like endorsing or advertising?

Old 10-25-2003, 02:34 PM   #5

GWTWfly HB User
I had creaking of my feet joints and severe pain. Then I started taking Vitamin E and cod liver oil and my feet no longer crack when I walk down the stairs and they do not hurt.

Closed Thread