It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2003, 05:12 PM   #1
(female)

madamkitty HB User
Question practical everyday help

Can anyone out there give me some practical everyday help? How do you wash your hair when you can't raise your arms up to reach your head because your shoulders are inflamed? My husband is a long haul trucker who isn't home as often as I'd like to wash my hair so getting your spouse to help is out. My feet and legs become inflamed almost everyday and I'm already having to use a cane to get up and down in a chair. My hands are quickly loosing the ability to grab things tightly so I hold my glasses with two hands, but what about just opening jars- any ideas? My disease has really stepped up it's attack, in Dec. my sed rate was 25, in March it was 28, and at my last appointment the end of Sept. it was up to 31! I'm going to a new rheumy on Oct 11th so maybe he will mess with my meds and get it down so I can cope better. Too late for my job tho, just got told this past Tuesday that I am no longer going to be allowed to go back to work by my company doctor, the only good news in his message was that he will help me get on disability.After being out of work since May I'll have to wait the six months that I've been told that it takes for your disability to go through. Sorry this is so long but things are really getting rough here and I guess I needed to vent a little too.

Old 10-26-2003, 07:36 PM   #2

kmail HB User
I have a couple of foster sisters in wheelchairs on SSI. The state has always paid helpers who help them at home. (They live apart.) One is much less able to care for herself than the other, so her caregiver works more hours. They will go thru a questionnaire with you to determine what you can and cannot do, and will pay for the caregiver - 15 minutes for this, 30 minutes for that, etc, for say, laundry, bathing, housework and such.

Many times they have had a family member as their caregiver, and the family member receives a real paycheck for the allotted hours. You keep track of their time too. If there was no family member there, then there have been resources by which they could be paired up with someone. Check into soon so you can keep yourself up. Don't get frustrated if it takes a bit.

Oh, and you may wish to have a criminal background check done on the person if it is a stranger. I know I would - even if YOU pay for the bg check out of your own pocket. You must get them to sign a release first - and there are services onoine where you can get the check done. (I would check for a local agency first, though, as there could easily be fraud online i.e. take your money and do no check, and be gone later on).

Good luck!
K

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread