It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2003, 03:47 PM   #1

lucky33 HB User
Post I have RA and Dr. gave me plaqunil...like to get ifo on it please..

I just remeber my grandma taking it and it seemed like it has alot of BAD side affects. I went to get it filled today and for an old med it sure was expensive so i decided to get a couple of weeks worth to see how it goes. If anyone has taken it please give me some feed back! Good or bad!

Old 10-26-2003, 10:27 AM   #2

red_snapper HB User
hi i have ra since 1998 and plaquinil was the drug i chose over methotrexate. the side effects are less intrusive.as long as you take it with food and lots of liquid should be no problem.it takes longer to work but all you can do with ra is keep it down to a dull roar. if your lucky it will go into remission but the threat is always there.now with plaquinil the good news is you will never get malaria lol. good luck with your ra and the drugs.it has helped me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2003, 02:47 AM   #3

AussieChick HB User
My rheumy put me on plaquenil as a first choice for RA being less toxic than many of the other meds. Unfortunately i wasn't able to stay on it long enough due to a fairly rapid allergic reaction that had my skin feeling burning and my heart racing. They said it was probably due to the sulphur in it as i also reacted to the second drug, salazopyrin. Seem to be coping okay with mtx now but only been a month so its not having an effect on my pain yet.

Old 10-28-2003, 09:19 AM   #4

oceanbreezeri HB User
Please give it a try although it will probably take more than a few weeks for you to notice a change.I took 1 pill a day for at least 5 years and it worked great.I'm on MTX now but it's not working as well as the Plaquenil and my flare up is just about over.I'm going to ask the Rheumatologist to go back the Plaquenil.It is less toxic than MTX and no bloodwork every 6 weeks.You only need to have your eyes checked every 6 months(and my opthamologist says that is over kill). You may have an upset stomach but just take it with a snack. About the side effects, I have been told by my GP that when using plaquenil for RA the doses are small compared to the amt used for other illnesses, so I don't think we have much to worry about. IT's a tried and true med.I hope you do well with it.

Old 10-28-2003, 10:06 AM   #5

Pam258 HB User
I have taken plaquinel since 7-31-03 and it is working great. I have not had any side effects and only need to get my eyes checked every 6 months. I hope this is the only drug I'll need to control my RA. Pam

Old 01-01-2004, 04:44 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

dazedandconfused1 HB User
Re: I have RA and Dr. gave me plaqunil...like to get ifo on it please..

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanbreezeri
Please give it a try although it will probably take more than a few weeks for you to notice a change.I took 1 pill a day for at least 5 years and it worked great.I'm on MTX now but it's not working as well as the Plaquenil and my flare up is just about over.I'm going to ask the Rheumatologist to go back the Plaquenil.It is less toxic than MTX and no bloodwork every 6 weeks.You only need to have your eyes checked every 6 months(and my opthamologist says that is over kill). You may have an upset stomach but just take it with a snack. About the side effects, I have been told by my GP that when using plaquenil for RA the doses are small compared to the amt used for other illnesses, so I don't think we have much to worry about. IT's a tried and true med.I hope you do well with it.
i was put on plaquenil a month ago 200mg twice a day im not sure why yet i had a deltiod muscle biopsy done and she said they sent to mayo clinic for seconde opinion she only said a rare disorder and we will see what the mayo clinic says . i had biopsy done day before thanksgiving went back 2 weeks after and still waiting for results i go back on 6 of jan.2004 how high is your dose

Old 05-26-2004, 02:01 PM   #7

meanmachine_tr HB User

I am glad to hear some feed back on plaquinel My doctor wants me to take it in about 4 months after i am done nursing my baby. For now he has prescribed me prednisone 5 mg. I wont take it unless I am in serious pain. reason being I dont want the side affects it has to offer. But I will start the plaquinel as soon as my daughter is weaned. I hope it works for me.

Old 05-26-2004, 03:52 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

dazedandconfused1 HB User

i am still on plaquenil and now rhumy added mtx with it

Closed Thread