It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2003, 07:02 PM   #1

akahoneypotqt HB User
Exclamation rib cage

posted in back forum as well. Anybody ever heard of one side of your rib cage looking higher or more forward than the other due to arthritis? Doc said that that was why my left side rib cage looks and feels higher than my left. sound like anything anybody ever heard of?

Old 10-29-2003, 08:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
Sure do, my left sidee of the rib cage is higher than my right, it is from inflamation of arthritis. there are other reasons to for that, some times is congenital.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2003, 03:25 AM   #3

akahoneypotqt HB User
Talking

HI! thanks for replying so fast. So.... You have the same thing? Does it come more forward that your other one too? they are uneven when i lay down. One sticks out and the other doesn't. Very strange.....

Old 11-03-2003, 08:36 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Rorie HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by akahoneypotqt
HI! thanks for replying so fast. So.... You have the same thing? Does it come more forward that your other one too? they are uneven when i lay down. One sticks out and the other doesn't. Very strange.....
Part of my ribcage sticks up on one side also. I have not been diagnosed with arthritis yet, but my symptoms sound like it. The doctors are still trying to figure me out. I have a question for you...sometimes the side that sticks out hurts...does yours? Sometimes just poking around on it makes it sore. Also I have had occasional streaks of pain like chest pain on that side. Could that be arthritis? Thanks!

Old 11-04-2003, 06:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
When I lay down my left side sticks up higher than the right, it is tender sometimes not always. Also do either of you have any scoliosis like me? It can make the rib cage side uneven as well. I have a moderate degree of scoliosis in the thoracsic spine, you may have some of it also, Drs don't always mention if you do have it unless it is of moderate to severe degree. Also do either of you have a conclave breastbone? Sunken in look, like a dip in the middle of the breastbone between the breasts. The arthritis would develope at the rib to where it joins the breastbone and around to the thorasic area of the back. Mine is in the 3rd, 4th and 5th rib joint, it is possible to get arthritis anywhere there is a joint.

Last edited by NancyH; 11-04-2003 at 06:28 PM.

Old 11-04-2003, 07:56 PM   #6

akahoneypotqt HB User
Talking

Thank you for your response. My clavicle is not concave, however, I do have (the dr. said) costal chondritis. Sound familiar?

Old 11-04-2003, 09:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
Costochondritis? It is a form of arthritis. I sure do, was diagnosed over 6 yrs ago when I ended up in ER thinking I was having a heart attack(it can mimic one)so when I went to see my orthopedic surgeon he gave me some insight to this condition, which is intermitten by the way. It can go into a remission as well, so far this year I have had one attack(as I call it) and that is because I lifted a heavy object wrong. How did you acquire yours? Mine was from a fall on my chest, when I walked my dog in the dark one morning I tripped in a hole and did a face plant landing on a rock in the middle of my chest, fractured two ribs(which are arthritic now)and you know the rest chest pain now and then. I think well it won't kill me just hurt me now and then. Remember to be careful of putting any pressure on the chest or lift incorrectly like lift and twist(a real no no) and you know that using your arms cause pain your chest if it is a heavy object so do things more carefully to avoid inflamming it more. Do you take any anti inflamatories for it? I take mobic now and then after all it is a form of arthritis( heck anything ending with "itis" is a form of arthritis)

Last edited by NancyH; 11-04-2003 at 09:58 PM.

Old 11-05-2003, 06:22 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Rorie HB User
I don't have scoliosis as far as I know, but I do have the dip thing in the middle of my chest, but didn't know that had anything to do with anything. I appreciate your response because I am having a very hard time figuring out what is wrong with me. I do think I have arthritis in my knees and hips as well. Is it common to have arthritis in other areas if you have costochondritis, or is it usually limited to just the chest? Thanks so much for any help!

Old 11-05-2003, 07:11 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
Costochondritis is an inflammatory process of the costochondral or costosternal joints that causes localized pain and tenderness. Any of the 7 costochondral junctions may be affected, and more than 1 site is affected in 90% of cases. The second to fifth costochondral junctions most commonly are involved. Any arthritis such as in the knees or hips would be osteoarthritis, costochondritis is limited to the sternum/chest/rib cage area. There are over 100 different types of arthritis! This arthritis thing is a bummer, I have it in the hands, feet, neck and mildly in the spine along with the costochondritis. The conclave breastbone just means an abnormality. I think I'm abnormal all over these days.

Old 11-06-2003, 09:24 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Rorie HB User
Thank you for replying! I wanted you to know I went to the doctor today about my ribs that stick out and he said I have scoliosis also! I was surprised. Do you think scoliosis can somehow cause arthritis in the rib cage? I know it can cause it to stick out funny, but does that somehow start arthritis? My doctor didn't mention arthritis, but my symptoms sure sound like it. I also have this weird swollen neck on the same side that my rib cage sticks out. He thought the neck issue was thickening muscles in my neck, but since it comes and goes along with the tenderness in the chest, I am wondering if it is all related to arthritis. It is definitely worse when it turns cold. Do you know anything about the neck being affected? Thanks so much!

Old 11-06-2003, 07:20 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorie
Thank you for replying! I wanted you to know I went to the doctor today about my ribs that stick out and he said I have scoliosis also! I was surprised. Do you think scoliosis can somehow cause arthritis in the rib cage? I know it can cause it to stick out funny, but does that somehow start arthritis? My doctor didn't mention arthritis, but my symptoms sure sound like it. I also have this weird swollen neck on the same side that my rib cage sticks out. He thought the neck issue was thickening muscles in my neck, but since it comes and goes along with the tenderness in the chest, I am wondering if it is all related to arthritis. It is definitely worse when it turns cold. Do you know anything about the neck being affected? Thanks so much!
I don't know if scoliosis is relevant to arthritis as scoliosis is a slight curvature to the left or right in the spine but to me if would seem a possibility as the discs cant' possible be lined up correctly leading me to think that there could be wear and tear in the areas of the curvature, just a thought no science behind it. Dr may have thought there is some arthritis but usually they never tell ya unless it is significant. They may use degenerative disc disease or something. You would need to see a rhuematologist in that area. As for the neck, I've never heard of it but then anything is possible, like inflamation or something.

Last edited by NancyH; 11-06-2003 at 07:21 PM.

Closed Thread