It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2003, 11:16 PM   #1

LoveNhope25 HB User
Post Sacroiliitis, Meth causing some problems..

I return to the doctor to find out that I also have Sacroiliitis and its speading from my hands to half my arm. I started Meth a week with little side effects. Upset stomach was all. I was wondering if anyone else out there also experience Insomia and restnless. It seem that Meth gets me very uncomfortable which is trouble some when your trying to sleep.

Anyone have advice on what I should do? Its not bad insomia and i find myself dosing off once in a while but never a good restful sleep.
Help?

Old 10-05-2003, 05:07 PM   #2

AussieChick HB User
Hello once again LNH
Well i've just had my first dose of mtx (7.5mg)yesterday...been putting it off for a while. I took the advice of someone on this board and broke the dose up throughout the day (and have taken the folic acid supplements) but by last night felt sick in the stomach, which is worse this morning and also with diarrohea...plus i barely slept a wink. Disturbed sleep, couldn't get comfy, weird dreams, and feverish. I tried to think really positively when i took it because i'm conscious that the fear in the mind can cause physical symptoms but this is real!! Thank god it's only a weekly dose, i couldn't bare to take another dose today...think i'll just have to laze on the couch - hoping i'll return with a spring to my step tomorrow. i'm really counting on it to work and get this RA under control. I've heard some people react badly to this drug the first few doses then it settles down so here's hoping, cause feeling this ill is not worth the other benefits if it is to persist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2003, 06:02 PM   #3

LoveNhope25 HB User
I'm going through the same thing. Feeling uncomfortable and having trouble sleeping. I usually lid there for hours before I fall asleep. To be honesty, it wasnt as bad as I excepted it to be. Its nice to know that other are experiencing the same thing ie, insomia and restnless.

Aussie Chick, since you and I are starting Meth roughly the same time could you please update me and the other on this board on any news about meth or problems you are experiencing. Its just nice to know there are people out there that are in the same boat as you. I will continue to update my status but for now i think i'm doing pretty well.

Hope you and the other best of luck ... bye for now.

Old 10-06-2003, 10:10 PM   #4

AussieChick HB User
Cool

Hi LNH, I too found it great comfort to know someone else is walking in my shoes. The nausea pretty much disappeared by day 2 of mtx but i had another bad night. I'm hungry again so guess that's a healthy sign. Damn! Am also trialling a wheat free diet. Can get to sleep ok but wake soon after and keep my husband awake with my wriggling about. Worried that if i get up i'll never get back to sleep though. Have been on a huge power walk today(thanks to the prednisoline and vioxx which are keeping the inflamm under control till mtx kicks in and the dry sunny weather which helps too) and have also done some brain engaged activity so here's hoping tonight sleep returns. I work part time as a teacher and will be pretty strung out by Thurs if i don't catch up on rest. Don't want to take anti nausea or sleeping pills though as i consider the cocktail i'm on is more than enough. The roof of my mouth is beginning to ulcerate but only mildly. i'm wishing it away, but cautious after previous drug allergies. My cousin has PA and is having great results on mtx with no side effects after initial nausea in first week so i'm hoping i follow in his footsteps. Goodluck. Yes let's keep each other informed. Where are you from?

Old 10-15-2003, 12:56 PM   #5

LoveNhope25 HB User
Sorry I havent reply. Had a wedding on Saturday which I almost miss beacuse of mtx on friday. After the first inital week of mtx, my nausea have stop. The side effects have slowly gone away with the exception of feeling tired during the evening. Keeping each other inform is a great idea. It gives me great comfort to know there are other people. I'm glad to hear your cousin is having great result on mtx with no side effect. I'm from Toronto , Canada. Its quite cold up here in the winter time which causes some discomfort for me. Hope you are doing well, reply back whenever you are free.

Old 10-20-2003, 03:39 AM   #6

AussieChick HB User
Hi again LNH, the drug update...third dose and no obvious side effects this time...although you may have read already i did have an itchy flea bitten looking rash on my back last week which my GP believed was from the MTX. How would they know really? Against his advice and unable to contact my Rheumy who is O/S, i have stayed on it and the rash has gone.My wrists and inside elbow joints are still burning so i'm looking forward to the mtx doing some good soon. I'd like to give up this prednisoline asap. i think it's the cause of my high and low moods. Glad to hear you made it to the wedding. I'm functioning pretty well too, particularly as our Summer is approaching in Australia. I even enjoyed quite a few champagnes on the weekend while camping with some girl friends so hope next months liver function tests aren't effected. I also feel more tired than usual, particularly on the medic day but also i no longer seem to bounce back as quickly after a late night. Seem to be sleeping better though. It's freaky how our bodies react so violently to a new drug in the system and then seem to back down and tolerate it. Just hope we don't suffer now from other illnesses that we may catch with suppressed immunity. Talk again soon!!

Old 10-30-2003, 08:21 PM   #7

LoveNhope25 HB User
Sorry to hear about your wrist and the rash. I too get tired easily because of the mtx. There havent been any sign that the mtx is working so my doctor has increase my doses from 4 pills of 2.5mg to 6 pills. I fear the extra two pills will cause a big impact but I have yet to see any other problems beside the usual problems.

Hope to hear back from you soon. Good luck..

Old 11-04-2003, 03:25 AM   #8

AussieChick HB User
Cool

Hi LNH, hope the increase in mtx is having some effect for you. I'm tolerating it pretty well now but can't say that it's helping YET as i enter the 6th week, may be too early to tell, i'm staying optimistic, just have to be patient. Back to the Rheumy next week and suspect that she too will up the drugs which will worry me too. I still get a bit of an upset stomach in the first 24 hours and feel tired that day and not hungry, a pattern of feeling down the following day seems to follow and occasionally feverish, then i'm fine the rest of the week. Had a couple of big days at the spring racing carnival lately, plenty of champagne flowing so these blood tests will be interesting. I'm trying to stay fit and healthy too with gym and walking 3 times a week. I no longer suffer from the terrible muscle cramps. I am back on a weights program for lower half of body but my arm strength is pathetic and the burn afterwards makes me realise that it's all a bit premature. Stay strong guys!!
keep in touch L.
Aussie Chick

Old 11-04-2003, 09:08 PM   #9

LoveNhope25 HB User
I heard that mtx can cause serious problems if its combine with alcohol. The liver is quite sensitive during mtx intake which can lead to other problems or so my doctor tells me. I hope you drink in moderation, but I think you have it under control.

I notice that I eat very little the following day on mtx. Do you find yourself not hungery afterwards?

Weight is not an issue with me but losing too much weight isnt a very health thing either. I'm currently average weight but I think i have lost about 2 - 3 pounds. Doctors told me this is completely normal. Just wondering if this has occur to you?

Thanks for updating and keeping in touch.
~

Old 11-17-2003, 04:30 AM   #10

AussieChick HB User
How are you getting on LNH?? I think mtx is starting to help but havent't dropped off the other drugs yet so can't be sure. I still stress about taking it. You're right i'm not a big drinker, in fact onle every few weeks but then i'd have quite a few...will make sure i keep an eye on those liver function blood tests. I'm expecting my return trip to the rheumy will also increase my dose but don't know if i'll agree to that just yet. I'm coping well, almost forget it for most of my day. Its just those strenuous jobs like cutting with a knife or scissors and hand writing which i really remember the burn. Being off wheat products wasn't obviously better until i went back on for a day and felt really ill. The dietician tells me there is a link between RA and the way our bowel digests food. I think i've lost a couple of pounds too but nothing serious and my weight is fine. I don't eat much the day after drug night either but the fatigue is less of an issue lately and i sleep well most of the time. I'm keeping fit but have tried to return to my weights program again at the gym - arm strenght is shot and i suffer immediately so will leave it for a while and stay on that bike and walking track. Hope you're cruising along now pain free.I seem to be getting a daily supply of junk mail (drug ads) since accessing this board and looking at a few ads on it...i hate that!! Have accessed very few other sites so i assume its to blame. Not sure how to stop it.
Keep well! Hey my husband and kids all got bad colds recently and i escaped it...not such bad immunity with this mtx afterall!!

Old 11-18-2003, 04:22 AM   #11
(female)

Luvmypugs HB User
2d5mbh

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if any of you are also taking pain medication with the Methotrexate? I am on the once/a/week injections and the day after, I feel pretty blah. The Rheumy presribed Lortab 7.5/500 to take as needed but I have been on them for a few years now off and on and I don't feel like they are working as well as they once were.

For example. I got my shot in my arm last night before bed. I wasn't asleep 2 hours when I woke up chilling, my head was hurting, I was achy and I headed straight for the Lortab. I took 2 and went back to bed....within an hour, I was right back up, my whole body was aching and just plain jittery and creepy crawly so I took another one and an Ativan and slept for about 3 more hours and now I've been up since 5:00. This is NO good with a 22 month old who will be ready to go at about 8:30 . I need to try and convince them that I need something else to take. I would like to try one of the patches or something that I didn't have to take so often. I also have NO energy. Any suggestions there??

Honestly, I am so sick and tired of feeling so bad and being so damn cranky and irritable. My husband makes me mad at the drop of a hat and so does everyone else. I've got to get a handle on this, it's ruining my life. Are any of you taking anti-depressants as well? It's the Holidays, my absolute favortie time of year and I can't be this way, I won't be this way, I need help guys. If so, I'd love to hear from all of you about your experiences, any advice would be so greatly appreciated, I'm soooo sad right now.

Take care
Melissa

Old 11-20-2003, 04:28 AM   #12

AussieChick HB User
Re: Sacroiliitis, Meth causing some problems..

Pugsy. arthritis sucks but sleep deprivation is a killer. Hope yr feeling happier today!! I can sleep well now but the first month on mtx made me very jittery and sick. The emotional bit comes and goes for me. I get very angry and frustrated at times but they pass...and my husband is growing a thick skin and getting used to the "why me" outbursts and tears...chocolate fixes anything...temporarily...i explain it like permanent PMS but it only occurs when there's a change, like a drug reaction etc. Now i'm settled and things are going along smoothly. I'm only on anti inflamms (vioxx) but i wonder if this prednisolone, even though its low dose, adds to the moodiness too. Be determined not to let it take over your existence - writing on this health board once a week is as consumed as i will allow myself. You have to empower yourself. If the drugs aren't working try alternatives, modified diet gave me something positive to focus on. Try to get moving and let those natural feel good endorphines kick in. The fatigue also is improving for me and i mange to work three days a week but a day shopping still can wipe me out and my 5 and 8 year old are not that understanding when theyre hungry either. It's vital you take time out for yourself, you'll cope with bubs all the better after a break too. It's hard work staying bright and cheerful when you feel loust inside and your joints are burning! Find some sunshine and get plenty of rest, good food, an occasional drink and even better, good company - glam up and go out and giggle with the girls, it's the best remedy to lift yr spirits and you'll even forget the ache for a while. All the best Melissa!!

Old 11-20-2003, 04:31 AM   #13

AussieChick HB User

Maybe try listing a "new topic" and readers could give you their coping strategies too. Goodluck!!

Old 12-06-2003, 07:32 PM   #14

LoveNhope25 HB User

So sorry for the lack of posts, my husband got us a new computer and we decide to switch to a faster internet provider.

I'm glad your doing well Aussiechic, it alway puts a simle on my face to hear good news. I miss a dose of mtx but took the usual folic acid instead. My arms seem to get worse the night after taking mtx. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. The swelling goes away after an hour or so with no signs of damage. Its easier to fall asleep now than before mtx, maybe its because i'm so tired.

My next appointment with my rheum doctor is comming up, I'll update soon.

PS. Again, sorry for the long delay, hope your doing well Aussie.

Closed Thread