It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2004, 09:14 AM   #1

EMG HB User
Question Thumb Surgery, Cmc Joint

I'm going to have carpometacarpal arthroplasty surgery on 3/11. If you have had this done tell me what to expect post-op.

Old 03-06-2004, 10:20 PM   #2

MaggieJ119 HB User
Re: Thumb Surgery, Cmc Joint

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMG
I'm going to have carpometacarpal arthroplasty surgery on 3/11. If you have had this done tell me what to expect post-op.
I recently had a tendon transfer in my wrist/thumb i know that it is not the same as what you are having done but it wasn't bad at all for me. It was an easy surgery and i feel fine other than I am in a cast for 6 weeks as it heals. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2004, 08:12 AM   #3

EMG HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieJ119
I recently had a tendon transfer in my wrist/thumb i know that it is not the same as what you are having done but it wasn't bad at all for me. It was an easy surgery and i feel fine other than I am in a cast for 6 weeks as it heals. Good luck
Thanks Maggie...thats good to hear. I've been practicing doing things w/only my right hand. LOL this is going to be an adventure. Try to laugh about it cause i know I will feel so much better w/o the pain.

Old 03-25-2004, 11:25 PM   #4

Perrin HB User
Question Re: Thumb Surgery, Cmc Joint

undefined
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMG
I am scheduled for a CMC arthroplasty 4-1 and wondering how you are doing post op? Perrin

Old 04-09-2004, 01:55 PM   #5

EMG HB User
Thumbs up Re: Thumb Surgery, Cmc Joint

PERRIN..4/1 Has come & gone. how ya doin'? I'm @ 4 wks post op. This was a much bigger deal than I expected. lots of pain & swelling. just now at a level I can tolerate. got my cast off 2 days ago. now just a very small plastic splint. I can move my wrist, which is very STIFF, just from being immoble for 4 weeks. several excercises for the thumb & go back in 3 wks. hang in there. I felt that 14-21 days post op was a major turning point. EMG

Last edited by EMG; 04-09-2004 at 01:56 PM.

Old 05-20-2004, 10:21 PM   #6

ljguertin HB User
Smile Re: Thumb Surgery, Cmc Joint

I just had a CMC artroplasty on my right thumb almost 3 days ago. The doctor prescribed Endocet in a 325 mg tablet form to be taken every 4 hours. During the first 2 days, my major discomfort was that the bandage was so tight it hurt and was quite uncomfortable. This morning, I woke up and the tightness was gone so I assume that there had been some swelling and it has abated. I could feel some pain at the site of the operation between 3.5 to 4 hours after taking the endocet so if the pain came at 3.5 hrs, I took the pill a little early. Today, I'm taking the endocet at a 5 hour interval. I'm just going to wait unil I feel some pain beginning to start and as long as it's 3.5+ hrs, I'll take a pill. Right now I'm extremely relieved to find that, for me, this has not been a painful experience. At least so far. I'll be in this plastic split and tight wrap for another week. Then it's a cast for about 3 weeks followed by therapy once a week for 2 months.

Right now, I'm seriously considering talking to the doctor about doing the left thumb as soon as I feel the right has recovered sufficiently.

Old 07-08-2004, 02:52 AM   #7

Katzmeow HB User

I had CMC Joint Implants in both thumbs, and have had alot of problems. I have had the surgery 3 times on my right thumb and once on the left. The implant is synthetic, round and looks like a pearl. The first surgery on my right thumb, the implant did not stay in place and popped to the skin surface. So I had to have a second surgery to remove that implant and replace it. After the second surgery I had a lot of pain and numbness and tingling in my hand. The doctor said I had nerve damage and wanted to do surgery again to correct it. Well after 3 surgeries my hand still is numb in alot of areas and very weak. I have had to learn to do alot of things with my left hand.(I'm right handed) I have been off work for 3 years and not sure if I can ever go back to the same job. I work for a health care member service call center and my job involves alot of computer work. After just 30 or 40 minutes on the computer my hands are in pain. I'm not sure if knowing what I know now and all the problems I have had, if I would have made the decision to have this surgery. I would explore other options and get several opinions.

Old 08-25-2004, 12:28 AM   #8

cloetessa HB User

I had this surgery on July 6th. I get my cast off in 2 days .....can't wait. I was expecting it to be like my carpal tunnel surgery I had 4 years ago on my other wrist. Was I wrong. I have a pin through my hand, nerve damage to my thumb, broke my front tooth during surgery. I have made a few trips to the ER to have the cast(s) split to relieve the swelling. I have 2 pressure sores on my hand under the cast. I have torn the muscles (I hope that is all) in my other arm, because it now has to do all the work. I was told that after they take the pin out this thursday that I will love my "new" hand. I hope so! And to top it off it has been the hottest summer on record and I cant get my hand wet! I am sounding like a whiner, sorry.

Old 08-25-2004, 10:39 AM   #9

EMG HB User

Wow, you guys have kept my thread active. CMC arthoplasty left hand 3/11/04; right hand 8/12/04. sounds like we had some different procedures. I had no plastic parts or pins. the left hand involved 2 tendon transfers. Dr striped a tendon from the under side of my fore arm & waded it up to replace a small wrist bone she removed. then she had to cut or otherwise adjust the oposing tendon on top of my thumb so I didnt have permanent ''hitchiker thumb''. recovery was painful & slow. I dreaded getting the right done. So now I'm less than 2 weeks post-op from the right hand & it is great. NO PAIN pills after the first night. no cramps where they pulled the tendon. I could key punch on the computer by day 2. With the left hand it hurt to dial a phone after 4 wks. go figure! Dr said each hand if different. One thing is she didnt cut the tendon on top of my thumb, said it didnt need it. lay people have suggested that maybe it's cause my right arm/hand is stronger than the left. I'm going to love my new pain free hands. My suggestion is get a good Dr. My surgeon only does hands/arms. She is in a big group of orthopedic Drs that all specialize. She does many of these. OH YA...let me tell you about hand therapy...it's a joke. they heat your hand, let you play w/toys like screwing nuts on bolts. & for this we PAY THEM! take the sheets of exercises & run. Do them on your own time.

Old 11-20-2004, 07:26 AM   #10
(male)

LongJohnSilver HB User

WELL... Looks like I'm joining you fellow sufferers.. scheduled for right thumb CMC on 3 December. The left? We'll see how this one goes first.
Guess I'm DREADING it... Thanks for "being here"... for showing that the surgery is worth it in the end. I'll have a PIN through my thumb to immobilize it. Apparently some of you have not had that, but Dr. Cawley Hayes (Chattanooga Hand Surgery Group) thinks it's best, and he's the boss.

QUESTION: After surgery, can you TYPE on the computer -- like, is there a protruding digit that you can use to at least communicate???
THANX,
Johnny
[url]http://photobucket.com/albums/v155/LongJohnSilver/2002%20Road%20King%20-%20The%20Evolution%20Thereof/?action=view&current=cef97967.jpg[/url]

Last edited by LongJohnSilver; 11-20-2004 at 07:29 AM.

Old 11-20-2004, 07:53 AM   #11
(male)

LongJohnSilver HB User

For the non-squeamish, here's a link for our surgery... DETAILED photos... click on any photo to enlargee it. Yuk. - Johnny -

http://www.wheelessonline.com/ooa1/1350.htm

Old 11-20-2004, 08:55 PM   #12

StephanieVD HB User

I've had bilateral MP thumb joint surgery and have ended up with CMC arthritis. Both my MP arthroplasty's involved tightening soft tissue and pinning. My doc is now talking about this procedure. Why is it done and does it help the pain? I am only 19, aspiring to be a surgeon, so I need my hands. Right now I just have pretty bad pain, I don't want to lose function. Thanks!

Old 12-07-2004, 02:54 PM   #13
(female)

bissell HB User
Red face Re: Thumb Surgery, Cmc Joint

Anyone who can help me would be great I am new to this and I don't know what I am doing. I just had cmc arthoplasty on 12-2 and I am wondering what is next my dr hasn't told me anything except to go to physical therapy tomorrow and then to see him again next week, isn't it a little to soon for PT??? How long am I going to be in a cast??? Help

Old 12-07-2004, 02:58 PM   #14
(female)

bissell HB User

put it in 2x sorry first time

Last edited by bissell; 12-07-2004 at 03:14 PM. Reason: I put it in here 2 times

Old 12-14-2004, 10:00 AM   #15
(male)

LongJohnSilver HB User

Hi, Bissel. Johnny Long here from Chattanooga, TN. Had my right thumb done on Friday Dec. 3... the day after your ordeal. My Doc has arthritis himself (not CMC,though). He told me "We'll have to do this on a Friday because it wipes my hands out for 3 days!" It's wrestling with the forearm tendon that does that. Great Honk!

Dr. Hayes (The Hayes Hand Group) removed the trapezium, inserted the tendon section (calls it an "anchovy") into the gap, and flipped over a tendon on top of my hand to hold it all together. His post op comment: "No wonder you've been hurting so bad... there was NO cartilege in there at all." No wonder!

Despite a DRAIN with a suction device installed in the incision, I had a LOT of swelling. I removed the drain Sunday night as per the Doc's instructions. It was painless! The swelling was such that at my first follow-up. last Thursday, he put me on a course of Prednisone. Finished it this am. Now I have a skinny hand and a FAT FACE!

I have two steel pins sticking out of my thumb -- with little yellow plastic balls on the ends. I asked for a RED & GREEN -- for Christmas. :O)

For a PIC, paste in this link:
[url]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v155/LongJohnSilver/Hand%20Surgery%20-%20Thumbs/ThumbPins.jpg[/url]

PAIN, PAIN, PAIN. When the swelling was going down, it cause huge surges of pain -- everything was being rearranged in there, I suppose. Now I'm taking 1/2 an Endocet every 4 to 6 hours... depending on how much I can stand. Am popping Ibuprofin too...

IF you want to see ALL the pics of my hand -- and how my split is fitted, paste this link into a new browser window:

[url]http://photobucket.com/albums/v155/LongJohnSilver/Hand%20Surgery%20-%20Thumbs/[/url]

My splint was SO HOT that my hand would itch and burn after a couple of hours. I used a Dremel tool to add holes and enlarged them with a steel
punch. MUCH, MUCH BETTER! :O) One does what one can.

Let's keep talking -- encouraging one another. I can use all the knowing sympathy I can get! :O)

Johnny

(Rev. Dr. John Wade Long, Jr.)

Last edited by LongJohnSilver; 12-14-2004 at 10:42 AM.

Closed Thread