It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2004, 06:04 AM   #1
(female)

debijo HB User
Unhappy arthritus and medicines

[ hi , i am new here so haven't figured out how to post very well. don't understand about the fonts ect, yet. i have rha ,lupus,and hypothyroid disease and have had fluid drained and been on lots of different meds. the main one i hate is the prednisone and was on it for 6 months . i gained alot of weight and am having a hard time losing it and now the doctors put me back on it ...i took sulfer drugs,plaquinel,pain meds ,and on and on . i can't go back on the steroids again. i have to lse weight and am getting ready to see a docotr about knee replacement so, whats the answer.i haven't told my doctor i'm not taking the prednisone .i'm tired of it all and have only been doing this for like a couple of years so far. i am trying to get ssi for 6 years now and supposedly have a hearing coming up. what about the stress factor ? geez,i'm just fed up....any advice would be great...

Old 03-17-2004, 06:25 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Ladywolfe HB User
Re: arthritus and medicines

Quote:
Originally Posted by debijo
[ hi , i am new here so haven't figured out how to post very well. don't understand about the fonts ect, yet. i have rha ,lupus,and hypothyroid disease and have had fluid drained and been on lots of different meds. the main one i hate is the prednisone and was on it for 6 months . i gained alot of weight and am having a hard time losing it and now the doctors put me back on it ...i took sulfer drugs,plaquinel,pain meds ,and on and on . i can't go back on the steroids again. i have to lse weight and am getting ready to see a docotr about knee replacement so, whats the answer.i haven't told my doctor i'm not taking the prednisone .i'm tired of it all and have only been doing this for like a couple of years so far. i am trying to get ssi for 6 years now and supposedly have a hearing coming up. what about the stress factor ? geez,i'm just fed up....any advice would be great...

Hi there and welcome
I'm sorry to hear you have been struggling so long to get on SSI - I hope that is resolved for you soon.

When I was diagnosed with RA, I told my Rheumatologist that I did NOT want to go on steroids. I too had been on steroids for almost a year (for asthma, which is totally in control now) - on steroids 6 weeks, off 3 weeks, then back on again. I gained around 28 pounds during this period. The extra weight does not help where the pain is concerned, it just makes it worse.

Are you still on the sulfur drugs? Which medications are you taking now?

Oh, as for the weight loss after steroids----my doctor told me that the steroids got into the muscles of the body, and that it would be hard to lose the weight, but not impossible. Steroids do have a very positive effect on inflammation, but can also have lousy side effects (weight gain, mood swings, etc.) He said that I had to weigh my options as far as the steroids went.

As long as there are other medicines out there to try before steroids, I'm going to give them a try.

You being hypothyroid also doesn't help with trying to lose weight. Are you on medication for that, and is it under control?

I hope you get some relief soon. Please post back often, and take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2004, 07:49 AM   #3
(female)

nooyawker HB User
Re: arthritus and medicines

Well you have a couple of different conditions and the main thing to do is to take the disease modifying drugs the doc has prescribed for you. They sometimes take a while to work so that is where prednisone would come in handy to give some relief till drugs start to work. You are correct in that you wouldnt want to take pred. long term. If the drugs are not helping after a few months you should insist on another treatment from your dr. There are many differnt ones to try. It can be depressing but I think if you stick with the treatment you will feel better. I have RA and take enbrel. I must be very disciplined and take injections 2x week. Also, I try to walk as much as possible and watch diet very carefully. You will not feel better if you dont make health a priority. Hope you feel better soon.

Old 03-22-2004, 05:50 AM   #4
(female)

debijo HB User
Unhappy Re: arthritus and medicines

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Blue]
HI THANKS FOR THE REPLIES..
I am not doing very well these days .the meds i am on as of today are ; 400 mg celebrex,prevacid,125 levothroid,5 mg prednisone,potassium pills,100 mg darvecets, and so far thats it.the potassium is new and do not understand about it , apparently having something to do with my thyroid and never beign straightened in 6 years so far..now, i have this thing goin on with my knee.it has affected my leg and foot too. i get terrible pains in my knee and muscle spasms and have had it x rayed and they say it is full of arthritus.but, it feels like it is broke...has started swelling and goneinto my foot and toes. went to the doctors and the er but, i have to wait to see an orthopedic doctor.for another month . i am trying to get in to see another one sooner tho.i have agreeed to taking 5 mg of the steroids but, not very happy about it . things changes so drastically from one day to the next for me . i was on sulfasalizene and plaquinel both but got sick everyday till i stopped them...i guess i am so tired of arguing with ssi and different people that its sickening already.. any advice would be grateful..i still cannot walk so can't even exercise anymore...
thanks ,
debbie

Closed Thread