It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2004, 11:37 PM   #1

topshelf HB User
Overwhelmed & Frustrated!

I am so frustrated and just plain tired of continual pain! I developed MRSA infection, which spread to my bloodstream, as post-op complications from shoulder surgery a year ago. I was on IV Vancomycin for 3 weeks and several other antibiotics by mouth. Appearantly, the staph was not completely erradicated and, as suspected by my rheumatologist, could be the trigger for what she believes is Reactive Arthritis. My flares are not under control, in spite of Voltaren 75mg taken 3 times a day. I'm also back on Vicodin for chronic pain. I am to the point of pulling "all-nighters" with no sleep at all several times a week. My feet hurt so bad each morning, I have to hold on to the bed to walk around it. Various joints take turns becoming painful, swollen, & hot - especially elbows, shoulders, knees, wrists, & fingers. I've already got the "swan neck" fingers you see in RA. My back and neck (especially my neck!) persist with practically continual pain. Sometimes, my neck just feels incredibly thick and hard from muscle tension from the pain. I've had trigger point injections, but they really aren't that great because they don't last very long.

My rheumatologist has suspected RA, Lupus, Reiters - but my labs don't support these dx, so I'm just stuck in one of the AS arthritis's for lack of a better "label".

I feel like I'm completely falling apart with a physical meltdown. How do you cope with the pain? I'm medicating, stretching, applying hot compresses, etc, but I can't seem to get this under control. How do you combat the overwhelming emotions? I know I'm depressed and I'm taking Paxil and Trazadone, but it doesn't seem to help. What could be happening relating back to the MRSA bacteremia? Should I be on stronger meds (I tried Endocine, but could not tolerate it at all!)?

I want my life back! Can anyone offer any help or guidance? Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2004, 03:47 PM   #2
Inactive

Anybody HB User
Re: Overwhelmed & Frustrated!

Do some research on alternative treatments, vitamins and nutrition.
You now have a complex situation and need to be "detoxed".
Clean water, wholsome food. There's lots of stuff that will help.
Give up coffee, give up sugar, give up margerine (use butter). Give up beef, it aggrivates arthritic conditions because it contains uric acid.

I have found flax oil to be a wonderful anti-inflamatory.

Antibiotics kill of the necessary flora in the intestines. Take acidopolous. Eat fresh fruits. Celery is good for you. Eat it fresh.

Drink lemonade without sugar. Make it weak so you can tolerate it.

You may have to change your way of living. We tend to get hung up on dietary habits and it is hard to change. Going from frozen veggies to fresh is tough, because now you have to wash, and maybe peel, but I can tell you it is worth it. I am MSG sensative and most frozen veggies have MSG added as a freshness preserver.
Your depression is from your physical condition. I'd be depressed too. When you make your body better, the depression will go away.

Closed Thread