It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2004, 09:56 AM   #1

milwheel03 HB User
frozen shoulder?

Hello: JUst wondering about symtpoms of frozen shoulder. Lately i have had a stiff right shoulder..hurts tremedndously in the shoulder when i reach upwards or extend my arm outwards.
I seem to get some relief after a quite hot bath.Does anyone know if "frozen shoulder" reacts to hot water that way?
Milwheel03

Old 03-26-2004, 01:09 PM   #2
Mara

Smile Re: frozen shoulder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwheel03
Hello: JUst wondering about symptoms of frozen shoulder. Lately i have had a stiff right shoulder..hurts tremendously in the shoulder when i reach upwards or extend my arm outwards.
I seem to get some relief after a quite hot bath. Does anyone know if "frozen shoulder" reacts to hot water that way?
Milwheel03
Hi Milwheel, Welcome

When I had it I could not move the joint or arm as you described at all, had it slinged, wrapped with a wide ace, shot of nsaid w/a tetnus shot, strong pain killers. Pain onset was delayed a day after the activity/injury, then pain became unbearable, so went to the ER. It was excruciatingly disabling and brought me to my knees. It was constant pain and the shoulder had to be immobilized. Any attempt at movement, I saw stars. I guess that's how they come by the name frozen shoulder. I iced, iced and iced it some more. For a recent injury to reduce swelling only ice is applied. The ER doc said it was tendonitis and bursitis, followed up with a doctor who agreed and the orthopedic classified it as shoulder impingement, I need pt for it. When I saw him for my foot (5 months after the accident) he told me to have pt for the shoulder, it was crackling and had pain, the shoulder has not been right. The injury happened last July and it has not been right since.

I had mild bursitis in that shoulder for years prior to this injury and when it acted up I had limited joint r.o.m. (I took/take anti-inflammatory's to reduce inflammation and pain). That by itself is pretty painful when it acts up so what you are experiencing could be that. As a rule of thumb, if I have swelling from tissue damage I apply ice until it is pretty well healed, then heat. When I have swelling from a muscle cramp or spasm, I apply heat and that helps. Make sure your doing right by yourself, treatment (hot or cold) depends on whatís happening. Could you see the doctor? An exray can rule out calcifications and bony changes. Take Care! Gemi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
(female)

pandora55 HB User
Re: frozen shoulder?

I too am suffering with frozen shoulder occurring after a fall. Sometimes the pain is so bad I don't think I'll make it. I'm in extensive PT right now and boy does it hurt. I'm told that if the PT doesn't work I may have to have surgery. All we fellow Frozen shoulder sisters and brothers can dois hope that the PT works. Just hang in there and have alot of faith that the matter will be resolved.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: frozen shoulder?

As one who had surgery on both shoulders for AC joint and rotator cuff problems, I know that pain. They start to freeze up very quickly and I know my doc did a deep manipulation of both shoulders when I was under for the other stuff. Even after breaking my neck I had to have PT 3 times week to keep my shoulder from freezing until I got the use of the muscles back again.

Did you now we have a brand new board for shoulder problems? It's way down under "S".... Shoulder/Rotator Cuff Problems. Might find some others with the same problems there. I haven't joined in yet as I'm avoiding my shoulder surgeon like the plague....I think I ruptured the tendon again. I don't even want to know. Too many surgeries of late and I'm not ready to commit to a year of treatment.

good luck...................Jenny

Closed Thread