It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2004, 05:00 AM   #1
(female)

Geneva1 HB User
Frozen Shoulder Therapy

I'm not sure if this is the correct board to post this on, but I have noticed a couple of posts about Frozen Shoulder on here. I am 14 months into a Frozen
Shoulder, and currently in the thawing stage. Seems like I just woke up one day, and could raise my arm again above the shoulder level. I have done stretching exercises all along, but my Dr said this is the most important time for aggressive therapy. I've gone for several months with no pain, but since I've started the aggresive therapy, I'm hurting again. My neck pops and cracks. My back aches, and now my elbow aches again, just like in the beginning! Has anyone one else with a Frozen Shoulder experienced this, and how long did it last? My Dr says that if I don't continue with the correct therapy, that I may never regain full range of motion in my shoulder. How long will it hurt? Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Geneva

Old 03-29-2004, 07:14 AM   #2

Cloie HB User
Re: Frozen Shoulder Therapy

Hi,

I fell on my shoulder in Dec. At first it was just sore. Then progressed to frozen shoulder. I may have re-injured it. After MRI, turns out I partially tore a tendon. It hurts after therapy, but 24-48 hours after therapy, it's better and looser. When I've had to skip therapy, it freezes up again. It's getting better, but very slowly. When it feels better, I tend to overuse it and re-injure it somewhat. I have to baby it.

Have you had an MRI to see if torn? What therapy are you getting? I'm getting a combo of ultrasound, electric stim, massage and gentle range of motion. Don't let them rush you into harsh excercises or hard range of motion that re-injure it. Expect a little soreness after therapy, but if it doesn't recover and feel better 24 hours after therapy, then the therapy may be too hard. Your therapist should know this and tell you to communicate the degree of pain/recovery to him. Cloie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2004, 05:16 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User
Unhappy Re: Frozen Shoulder Therapy

[QUOTE=Geneva1]I'm not sure if this is the correct board to post this on, but I have noticed a couple of posts about Frozen Shoulder on here. I am 14 months into a Frozen
Shoulder, and currently in the thawing stage. Seems like I just woke up one day, and could raise my arm again above the shoulder level. I have done stretching exercises all along, but my Dr said this is the most important time for aggressive therapy. I've gone for several months with no pain, but since I've started the aggresive therapy, I'm hurting again. My neck pops and cracks. My back aches, and now my elbow aches again, just like in the beginning! Has anyone one else with a Frozen Shoulder experienced this, and how long did it last? My Dr says that if I don't continue with the correct therapy, that I may never regain full range of motion in my shoulder. How long will it hurt? Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Sorry your having so much trouble. When I had my home I was chopping branches and hurt my arm. I think I went about 6 months before I realized I couldn't move it up, just back and forth. They put me in therapy with a lot of heat treatments and a tens unit. It is a little machine that gives you little shocks to the sore area. I also had a huge rubber band that I would use at home and stretch my arm gently.
I know therapy hurt but it hurt good! I mean I could tell it was getting better and was worth the pain. I had nothing in my neck or back that I recall.

I also had a hot tub at home and it was wonderful for my arm. I must have had good therapy because it was gone after several months and I didn't chop trees again!! Have you spoken to the therapist? Maybe a different one
is in order. Hope you get some relief, I know it hurts big time. I think they gave me one shot of cortisone if I recall.
Good Luck!

Old 04-12-2004, 01:17 PM   #4
(female)

Geneva1 HB User
Re: Frozen Shoulder Therapy

Thanks Cloie & Sunshine!

As far as therapy goes, while it was still frozen I had the electric & heat stimulation, accupunture, & gentle manipulation. Now in the thawing stage, I'm using the rubber bands, light weights, a pole, several different stretching techniques, massage and manipulaton. At first, this new therapy was murder! Finally it has calmed down a bit. Every 3-4 days, my neck would almost lock up and felt like I had a crick in it, but that has stopped too. Hopefully I'm passed the worst of it!

Thanks for your input,

Geneva

Closed Thread