It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2004, 08:34 PM   #1
(female)

squarebox HB User
questions about cortisone injections

My dr gave me a cotisone injection in my knees because I was suffering excruciating pain in them. I can't believe how much it has helped! I forgot what it is like to not hurt!
Of course while I was at the drs I didn't think of any questions, but now I have a bunch. If anyone can answer them, I would appreciate it.
How many injections can I get and how often? How long do they help? Are there any bad side effects from the injections?
Anyone who has had the injections, I would like to know your experience with them.
Thanks a bunch!

squarebox

Old 04-09-2004, 08:13 PM   #2

X5CAT HB User
Re: questions about cortisone injections

I Have Had Many Cortosione Injections Over The Past 25 Years. I Have Had 35 Joint Replacements And I Have Had Ra For 41 Years. I Am 44 Now. I Have Them Apx. Every 4 Weeks Now Because Of The Pain I Am In. Will Be Happy To Answer Any Questions You Have.

X5cat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2004, 10:50 AM   #3
Inactive

Fuchsia_Lay HB User

So many cortisone injections is surprising.

Usually doctors put a limit in them as (supposedly) they can weaken tendons (that which connects muscles to bones etc)

Old 04-10-2004, 05:17 PM   #4
(female)

squarebox HB User

Wow, X5CAT, that is alot of cortisone injections! Is that typical of what most people get? I always thought they were supposed to be limited, but not sure why. Do the injections have any bad effects?

squarebox

Old 04-10-2004, 06:23 PM   #5

X5CAT HB User

No, ,most People Don't Have As Many As I Do, But Mostly People Haven't Had 35 Joint Replacements Either. No Real Side Affects, Occassionally Some Gain A Few Pounds, But Other Than That I Haven't Had That Many Problems With Them. It Is Better Than Hurting So Bad You Want To Die, Which I Know First Hand What That Is Like.

X5cat

Old 04-12-2004, 09:03 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Most doctors do not do more than 2 - 3 injections in one years in a given joint because it does have some bad side effects, primarily it will weaken and can destroy the joint cartiledge. I started getting them when I was 16, and now some 20 years later my knee and other joints are completely "rotted" from having so many injections. Basically for me, it had turned my already defunct cartiledge into complete mush.
Cortisone be an effective treatment, when that fails and if your knee is bad enough you may respond from Hylagan (sp) which lubricates the joint and is much better for your body if it works.

Old 04-13-2004, 05:22 AM   #7
(female)

squarebox HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa
Most doctors do not do more than 2 - 3 injections in one years in a given joint because it does have some bad side effects, primarily it will weaken and can destroy the joint cartiledge. I started getting them when I was 16, and now some 20 years later my knee and other joints are completely "rotted" from having so many injections. Basically for me, it had turned my already defunct cartiledge into complete mush.
Cortisone be an effective treatment, when that fails and if your knee is bad enough you may respond from Hylagan (sp) which lubricates the joint and is much better for your body if it works.

Thanks for your reply, Kissa. But I guess that is a little confusing to me......It sounds like they give the injections to provide relief to the joint, but in the longrun it does more damage?
My dr has already told me that I will need a knee replacement eventually. The cortisone shots are buying me some time, but it is still inevitable. I wonder if it would be better to just skip the shots and go ahead and do the surgery soon, since I'm going to have to do it sooner or later anyway. Except that I am only 49, which I think is kind of young to do it.......And I wonder if I could expect the replacement to last me the rest of my life.
It's hard to know what to do!

Squarebox

Last edited by squarebox; 04-13-2004 at 05:23 AM.

Old 04-14-2004, 12:09 PM   #8

Davidtab HB User

I have talked to many doctors and my wife and both of my brothers are doctors as well. They all say the same thing. Not more that 3 injection in one joint. But, I also have heard other things such as not more than 3 injection in one year.

But they all agree that one or two injection on a joint if it calm the pain is a good idea. You certainly do not want to get a lot, the less is better.

Old 04-28-2004, 10:56 AM   #9

amberindigo HB User

Ok sorry to put this as a question in w/someone else... but I just had a ephordial (spelling bear w/ me i think better than spell) Is that the same? If so i was just told i can only have 3 shots.. then i see a surgian, "IF I AM A CADIDIATE FOR SURGURY THEN I GO THERE. IF NOT THEN I START THE SHOTS AGAIN," I was told on Thursday that i had a herniated disc, bursidius in both hips and more arthritis than any one my age...(32) and that is just my lower back... so please let me know it that the same as the cortazone

Old 04-29-2004, 09:13 PM   #10

X5CAT HB User

Hi Amberindigo: I Have Had Arthritis Since Age Three. I Am 44. I Had Jra And It Has Turned Into A Nightmare. Personally, Get The Shots Or If The Dr.s Want Surgery Then Way The Odds. With Out All My Replacements I Would Be Bed Ridden. I Have 3 Of The Best Surgeons In The U.s. Here In Nashville At Vanderbilt And St Thomas Hospitals. People Come Here From Around The World To Have My Dr.'s Treat Them. With Out My Surgeries I Wouldn't Walk. I Have Had 36 Replacements And Several Repairing Broken Bones Because My Bones Are Now So Eaten Up By The Arthritis That They Are Breaking. I Have 21 Large Fractures In My Left Arm. They Can't Figure Out How To Piece Them Together, So I Wear Morphine Patches And I Take Percocet To Just Get Through The Day. It Is Hard To Hurt So Much For So Long, But Without God And My Dr.'s I Wouldn't Have Made It This Far. Yes, Cortosione Injections Can Do Damage, But They Help So Much And Living In Horrible Unbearable Pain Isn't The Answer. You Need To Be On An Anti Imflamatory Drugs As Well As Other Combinations To Treat The Disease. Sometimes Though Life Throws Us Many Curve Balls And Use What Ever Works. In The End Enjoying What Time We Have Is What It Is All About. Write Again, I Will Try And Check In On You. Ok?

X5cat

Old 04-30-2004, 10:57 PM   #11

BudgiePie HB User

I had two injections before. I think it depends on how severe your swelling is at the time. I've heard that this is probably a "temporary" fix to the problem. Side effects are what others have posted. I've heard that joints can become infected from non-sterile equipment or dirty skin surface.

Old 05-03-2004, 07:35 PM   #12

X5CAT HB User
Thumbs up Re: questions about cortisone injections

I HAVE NEVER HAD AN UNSTERILE CORTOSIOINE INJECTION IN MY LIFE. I HAVE HAD COUNTLESS INJECTIONS DUE TO SEVERE RHEMOTOID ARTHRITIS. I HAD MY FIRST 2 KNEE REPLACEMENTS AGE THE AGE OF 19, I AM 44 NOW. FOR MINOR ARTHRITIS I AM SURE THEY ONLY DO A FEW INJECTIONS A YEAR. HOWEVER, FOR SEVERE ARTHRITIS, LIKE MINE YOU HAVE WHAT YOU NEED TO IN ORDER TO SURVIVE. WITHOUT THEM I WOULD NOT BE WALKING OR MOVING IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM. IT IS HORRIBLE LIVING IN HORRIBLE PAIN. I TAKE MORPHINE PATCHES THAT I CHANGE EVERY 3 DAYS, I ALSO TAKE PERCOCET FOR PAIN FOR THE MOMENT. I HAVE 2 FRACTURES IN MY ELBOW THAT HAS ALREADY HAD 5 REPLACEMENTS AND ANOTHER SURGERY TO REPAIR A BREAK LAST YEAR. NOW THE BONE HAS BROKEN AGAIN IN 2 MORE PLACES. THE DOCTORS DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO. SO, UNTIL SURGERY I LIVE IN PAIN. TOP THAT ALL OFF BY HAVING BOTH ANKLES SHOT AS WELL AS WELL AS MY KNUCKLE REPLACEMENT HAS FRACTURED AS WELL. SO, THIS DISEASE IS HORRIBLE AND EVERY ONE HAS TO WEIGH THE ODDS. MANY OF US CAN'T FOLLOW THE RULES LIKE ONLY A SHOT 3 TIMES A YEAR BECAUSE OUR CASE IS TO SEVERE. HOPE THIS HELPS.

X5CAT

Old 03-20-2011, 07:34 AM   #13
(female)

suzzyQ3 HB User

i was wondering about your feet how are they i have ra an my feet are bad the doctors says that there is no need in surgery cuase it wont last

Old 03-24-2011, 07:33 AM   #14
(female)

Pikkewyn HB User

Hi, the limit on these injections are normally 3-4 times. It can cause thining of the cartilage of the joints and weakening of the joint ligaments. Then you might also have a reaction to the cortisone itself. Injecting into a joint poses a danger of infection. Although these side effects are seen as unlikely or uncommon, they still exist. Of course it also depends on the dosage and the frequency of the injections.

X5CAT, I take my hat of to you. That is absolutely the worst case scenario that I have ever heard about. I cannot even fathom the thought that your body actually handle that many replacements. I wonder if all the injections could have anything to do with that? Obviously you have had a problem from a very young age. Is the cortisone the only meds that are working or are you on other meds as well?

Have a great day!
Pikkewyn

Old 03-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #15
(female)

Eburt HB User

As I understand it, the cortisone should be a temporary, but immediate, fix. As others have said, 3-4 times a year max (except in X5CAT's case, which is very extreme!). My DR reccomended a wait time inbetween shots, too. I haven't experienced any side-effects from my cortisone injection. When my cat had to get a cortisone injection, not all the cortisone got absorbed and it eventually worked its way up to under the skin. After a while it started eating through her skin and she had to have minor surgery to remove it. I'm not sure if that's relevant, although, I guess it could happen to humans too, because my DR was very specific about me keeping my hand completely immobile until the cortisone had been absorbed, because, she said it would work its way up to the surface and ooze out the injection site.

Has your DR talked about putting you on medication in the time between now and your eventual surgery?

I've only had to have one cortisone shot so far, because my Rhuemy was concerned at the amount of swelling in my wrist and wanted to take the swelling down as fast as possible. I had heard from a cousin who had the cortisone shots that it hurts worse after the shot wears off. My own experience, it did start to hurt again after the shot wore off, but I don't think it hurt any worse than it did before. I suppose while the shot is working you get used to not being in as much pain, so when the pain comes back you have to get yourself used to it again.

Closed Thread