It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2004, 05:23 AM   #1

mere HB User
Methotrexate

I have UCTD and I am being treated with Plaquenil and Prednisone. My Rheum. wants to add Methotrexate to the mix. Anyone have any comments on Methotrexate?

Mere --

Old 06-19-2004, 02:00 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Ladywolfe HB User
Re: Methotrexate

Hi there. I was put on Methotrexate 7 weeks ago. I take my 7th dose tomorrow. I am currently only taking 7.5 mgs a week, though I go back to my Rhuematologist on Thursday, and he will probably increase that dosage.

I was on Asulfazine (sp?) before Meth, and was extremely allergic to it, so had to stop taking it. ( I was allergic to the sulphur in it).

My Rheumy said that I could start feeling some relief in as little as a month, but after suffering with MAJOR joint pain and stiffness for so long, I was skeptical.

I also feared losing my hair, getting rashes, having the Meth affect my liver....any of the 'possible' side affects that could happen while on this drug.

As of today, I am moving freer and with less pain than I have in 2 years. It was a gradual thing for me - it didn't happen overnite. One day I just realized "hey, I'm walking further distances and this doesn't hurt at all - woo hoo".

My Dr said that, after/if I tolerated the Meth well for 3 months, he would also add Plaquenil (sp?) along with the Meth. I am also taking an anti-inflammatory called Relafen.

My hair has not fallen out, I have not gotten rashes....about the only thing I had was diarrhea for about 2 weeks after first taking it. The extreme fatigue has lightened up a lot, and in general - I am feeling pretty good.

I had to get blood work done before starting the Meth - and will be getting bloodwork done before going back to see the doc this Thursday, to make sure my liver is still functioning okay. While on Meth, you will need to get your bloodwork checked every 5-6 weeks or so.

My Dr did say that the Meth could/would make me feel better for only a short time, or for a couple of years. Hey - at this point, I'm glad to have found something that is finally working.

Hope this helps answer you a bit.

HUGS to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2004, 07:56 AM   #3

mere HB User

Thank you Ladywolfe, it does help and I am glad that you have found some relief.

Mere --

Old 06-21-2004, 09:33 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

teachergirl64 HB User

My rheumy is talking about starting me on MTX and I have been kind of dreading it. You post makes me not dread it quite so bad. I've been taking Plaquenil for about 7 weeks and can't tell a big difference most of the time.

Old 06-23-2004, 02:49 PM   #5
(female)

CTuit HB User

For most people the Plaquenil can take longer than 7 weeks to kick in. Most doctors seem to want you on it 3-6 months to see if its doing any good.

Old 07-15-2004, 07:24 PM   #6

strbay HB User

I refused to take Methotrexate when the doctors first wanted me to because of all the side affects. They told me that it was not a question of if... it was a question or when... and how much damage was enough damage. Three years later I started Mtx out of desparation... I wanted some quality of life back. The tablets of Mtx were not having the desired results so my rheumy started me on injections that helped a little more. Yes, I did notice that there was some hair loss at first, however it leveled off. I have blood test every 6-8 weeks to watch my liver and blood counts (sometimes my white count gets a little too low). The only real annoying side affect for me is the nausea and fatigue the following day. But I deal with it because of the trade off. My doctor cocktailed the mtx with arava and I can truly say that the combination to the two drugs has really controlled the disease process instead of just treating the symptoms with narcotic painkillers or daily doses of NSAIDs. My biggest regret---I really wish I would have started the mtx sooner so I could have prevented some of the joint damage.

Old 07-21-2004, 10:08 AM   #7

tomj HB User

Hi, I have diagnosised with "Inflamitory Arthritis" which I understand is a type of Rheum. My doctor has just prescribe Methotrexte, hearing about the hair loss and the sores in the mouth. I would like any info from anybody that is or has been taking the medicine, as far as how it make you feel and so on.

Closed Thread