It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2004, 08:17 AM   #1
Inactive

Rickhard HB User
Has anyone got relief from eating ground flax seed?

i've heard flax seed is good for arthritis. my wife has osteoarthritis. she's been eating it for a month. she's up to a 1/4 cup a day. she still takes vicodin.
how much should you take? how long does it take to work?

Old 06-26-2004, 08:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: Has anyone got relief from eating ground flax seed?

I've never tried the flax seed but I do take a multivitamin, 1500 mg of C and additional calcium based on the reccomendations of the Arthritis Association.
I also know that various mushrooms are supposed to be good for arthritis as well. In one of my AT mags there's a full list of vitamins/minerals etc that are helpful with Arthritis, I will try to dig it up today for you and see what they say about the flax seed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2004, 09:54 AM   #3
(female)

nooyawker HB User

I think flax seed has a lot of omega 3 which is soothing for arthritis. I dont know if it would cure it though. I was taking raw flax seed a couple of yrs ago and didnt notice a lot of difference with RA but it sure keeps you regular! I think I will give it another shot, even if it doesnt help the RA it has many health benefits.

Old 06-26-2004, 09:56 AM   #4
(female)

stacynb HB User

I have been trying flaxseed as well for Psoriatic Arthritis. I think it may take a couple months to notice something, but not sure. My mother-in-law doesn't have arthritis, but she started taking Omega-3 last year and then shortly after she started eating cottage cheese each day as well and within 3 months, her nails were healthy, her eyesight improved considerably, and we looked it up and apparently combining flaxseed, or Omega -3 with cottage cheese( the protein in the cheese binds well with the Omega-3) acts as a preventative/curative for arthritis and other disorders. I started taking the two about a week ago, so we'll see.

Old 06-27-2004, 12:23 PM   #5
Inactive

Rickhard HB User

Thanks for your replies. I should have mentioned that I began boiling the ground flax seed seven days ago. I know this is the arthritis board, but I would like to mention I have noticed an improvement in my mental and physical energy level. I boil it with two cups of water, one cup of thick rolled oats and a quarter cup of ground flax seed, gold or brown. I am going to have my wife try the ground flax and cottage cheese. My wife loves cottage cheese.
I boil the ground flax and oats for five minutes which is following the directions for cooking the oats. The ground flax really makes it thicken up so you have to stir it frequently to keep it from sticking.
I have tried to get my wife to keep a food journal so we could hopefully figure what is working and what is not but so far she's not motivated to do that. I journaled for several years and i just started doing it again about two weeks ago. My wife is taking vitamins now. I started taking vitamins a couple of weeks ago and I believe they are helping me, too.
I'm really high on boiling the ground flax seed. I'm reccommending it to everyone I know. My energy level is way up from what it was. I think it has both curative and preventive properties. As I read more about it and experience it's benefits I'm convinced it should be part of everyone's diet.

Old 08-01-2005, 12:06 PM   #6

Roger100 HB User

Hi just saw you take Vitamin C.. That stuff is bad for peopel with Arthritis.
So they found in a test and recommend not more than 75 mg supplementation per day.

Old 08-01-2005, 03:54 PM   #7
(female)

bigbuns HB User

Curious here, in what way does Vit. C influence arthritis?

Old 08-02-2005, 06:00 PM   #8
(female)

2tall4u HB User

I've been on flax for two years. It has not helped my arthritis at all, but it's great for skin and hair.

Old 09-03-2005, 09:37 AM   #9
(female)

Queeneev HB User

Hunh. I've been chomping on flax seeds for 3 years, LOVE it, but had no idea it was good for arthritis. I don't think it helps me for that. I have OA bad. Makes me wonder though, what would I be feeling if I didn't eat those seeds?...

Old 11-06-2005, 08:43 PM   #10
(female)

joerose HB User

I have read in many places that vitamin c, especially esther c are really good for arthritis. My dog has severe spinal arhtritis, hip dysplasia and arthritis in his knees and he takes 1500mg per day. There are many, many sites that support the use of vitamin c for arthritis pain and for healing as well.

Old 11-29-2005, 10:10 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Curious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooyawker
I think flax seed has a lot of omega 3 which is soothing for arthritis. I dont know if it would cure it though. I was taking raw flax seed a couple of yrs ago and didnt notice a lot of difference with RA but it sure keeps you regular! I think I will give it another shot, even if it doesnt help the RA it has many health benefits.
How do you eat raw flax seed? In yogurt? On a salad? How does it taste? I take the capsules (flax seed oil) and I WISH it helped with regularity.

Old 11-30-2005, 04:56 AM   #12
(female)

nooyawker HB User

I just bought a bag at health food store and ate 1 or 2 tablespoons a day out of the bag. Its not bad, a little like sesame seed. I wouldnt go overboard though or yuo might get a belly ache (very high in fiber)

Old 11-30-2005, 09:09 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Curious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB UserCurious One HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooyawker
I just bought a bag at health food store and ate 1 or 2 tablespoons a day out of the bag. Its not bad, a little like sesame seed. I wouldnt go overboard though or yuo might get a belly ache (very high in fiber)
Oh, I can do that!! Thanks a lot for the tip!

Old 12-01-2005, 08:29 PM   #14
(female)

aprilfoolgirl HB User

Does flax oil work as well as the seed? I add this to my protien shake in the AM. I don't knowif i have noticed a difference or not

Old 12-01-2005, 09:34 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User

Hi Everyone,

Flax Seed is very good for lots of reasons. My husband and I just started eating it a few months ago. We eat it for higher fiber (colon cancer and other digestive problems). We do not eat it regularly. Only when I remember to cook with it.

I have put it in (ground flax seed) a muffin recipe and it was pretty good. I put it in a pancake recipe also, not too bad - lots of syrup!!! :> Just do not expect light food, when cooking with flax seed - ground. I am fixing to take a regular box of brownie mix and add a 1/4 to 1/2 c. to it, along with a little more liquid and some (good for you) pecans! I will get some more recipes for ground flax seed off of the net. I have read and heard from people, that you need to eat ground flax seed, because if you eat whole flax seed, it just goes right thru you. If it is ground, you get some of the "goody out of it"!

You can buy it around here in a lot of the city grocery stores. You do not have to go to a specialty store. Try it and experiment with it. I intend to some more, in the future.

Take care and buy some flax seed.

Wannabe

Closed Thread