It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2004, 12:48 PM   #1

mrm HB User
Could this be RA (please help)??

Hi everyone. I am new to these boards and was hoping you would be so kind as to offer your opinion.

For the past year, I have had problem with my knees. Best way to describe it as it feels that something is lodged between my femur and tibia preventing full motion. Cortison never did the trick, but Sinvisc seems to help. I had it done a year ago and am currently in my 2nd series of treatment. The knee pain came on fairly quickly and sudden...noticed it when I was moving out of my college apartment (2nd floor). I have had a history of ilio-tibial band syndrome though, as evident when I would run...the tendon usually on the left side would flare up the worst. Likewise, the pain in my left knee was always the worst when I went for the injections. It was diagnosed as Chrondromalacia. I had an MRI, and the doc said that the cartilage was a bit worn, but not terrrible.

Anyways, I went through the year fairly well. I am a high school teacher so I am always on my feet. I have been walking alot lately, but have been halted by pain in several joints.

My wrists: There is mild aching in the wrist joints, but the there is shooting pain down the ulnar side (pinky side) of each forearm. I've had a cortisone injection in tendon near the pinky, but it hasnt helped.

My ankles: I've felt a good bit of aching in those too. The pain is directly on the talus on the lateral side.

Several months ago, the doc had a complete blood work-up performed. He told me that it should a higher than normal RA factor. A month ago, I saw an orthopaedic PA (back pain - unrelated, caused by weight lifting injury). He said that from the looks of the test, the RA came back negative.

Do you think what I am experiencing could be RA?

1. The thing is is that I have never had any swelling whatsoever...not even in the joints that are really painful (knees for instance).

2. No redness (ever).

3. Not tender to the touch, just tender when moving.

4. No fatigue or fever.

5. I've had xrays on my knees, back, and wrists - no obvious signs of arthritis (wrist and hands were "perfect" via doc).

SO WHAT DO YOU THINK?

I am really concerned about this and will be seeing a doctor in the DFW area. I would really appreciate if those with expertise and experience could offer thier opinion.

Many, many thanks in advance.

- Matt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2004, 06:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: Could this be RA (please help)??

It could be RA, OA, Degenerative Joint Disease or it could be a vast array of things. Sometimes the blood tests are not always accurate, while it might come back and say you don't have RA or OA it doesn't mean that you don't.

I think if I were in your situation I would seek out the best Rhuemy in the area and seek their advice. Also does anyone in your family have a similiar problem going back as many generations as you can? Doctors tend to only consider immediate family when oftentimes similiar health problems go farther back and are recessed.

Sometimes doctors don't always know the diagnosis and therefor must just rely on the symptoms and make a conclusion and treat that. That's the frustrating part. It took me 30 years to get a proper diagnosis and until then I was just treated for symptoms and it was a huge relief when we finally knew what was going on.

Good luck, I hope you find the answers.

Old 07-31-2004, 05:32 AM   #3

Advice_Seeker_9 HB User
Re: Could this be RA (please help)??

I agree with Kissa completely...

The symptoms that you describe (redness,swelling) are usually a few months down the road. In my case, my feet hurt - my doc thought my arches needed support. Then, my wrists/hands hurt - carpal tunnel.

The blood test nailed it for me, for you it could be good news, if you have it, it _may_ be mild. But it's impossible to say.

I would get the best two Rheumys that you can, and have them compare notes. Early treatment is best.

-M

Closed Thread