It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2004, 04:05 AM   #1
(female)

LPOWMACBACK HB User
Good Bed/Mattress for Arthritis?

I have arthritis, osteoporosis and scoliosis (I'm only 45... what a mess, huh?)
Anyway, we need to get a new mattress. I was leaning towards the Tempurpedic... which are foam, because they feel comfortable (I laid on one in the store)... but I'm afraid they'd be difficult to move around in (because you kind of settle into them) and I need to move around frequently or I "gel" or get stiff.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 08-04-2004, 05:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: Good Bed/Mattress for Arthritis?

I've had a tempurpedic for a while now and just love it. I have a bad back, hip, knee and well bad everything! I was having tremdous problems with back pain in my older therapidic mattress, in the mornings I hurt so much when I woke up it as hard to get around for a while so we decided to get the Tempurpedic

I absolutely LOVE it. I don't have much problems with pain in the morning in my lower back like I once did, I still have pain but it is something different. They are rather easy to move around in and I find I can even lay on my bad hip without too much pain.
My only complaint if you will is that it does retain heat. Great in the winter but in the summer you can get a little warm laying in the bed. I love also how if my husband moves around on the bed I don't feel it and vice versa.

We also have the pillows, my husband loves his, I can't use my because I lay in a funny way and put my arm under my pillow, those pillows are heavy so it cuts off my circulation.

One of the keys to helping the bed be effective is having loose sheets. I use those t-shirt kind which in turn makes the bed feel softer. When you have a regular cotton sheet on it it pulls on the bed and makes it feel much harder. If you don't have any t-shirt sheets use a flat sheet instead and tuck it in loosely, this will give you the same effect as a t-shirt type.

I have to tell ya, we rescue cats and have 6, I think they love the bed as much as we do! Before getting the bed they would lay on the old mattress on occasion, now I have to close my bedroom door or else they will sleep on there all day long. Funny as when I open the door they all stampeed down the hall into the bedroom just to go lay on the bed. I keep a sheet on there for them so they don't get hair all over. But I think it's cute how they love the bed as much as we do.

Don't bother with the toppers you only get a few inches of foam which is no where near the same as the full blown bed.

One last thing, do you lay on your side when you sleep? If so do you sleep with a pillow between your legs? If not you should try. I've always slept that way due to hip problems and my back also having mild scoliosis. I find that no matter where I sleep if I don't have that pillow between my legs I am barely able to walk the next day.

Good luck on the bed! Hopefully if you get it you will enjoy it just as much as we will!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2005, 08:13 AM   #3
(male)

robertwarren HB User
Re: Good Bed/Mattress for Arthritis?

I and 34 diagnosed with Reiter's Syndrome (reactive arthritis) with is the equivelant of feeling like a 90 year old man in many of my joints. I have severe pain in 1 toe of my R foot, both knees are swollen and painful, both wrists are unusable, my neck from the base of the head to the shoulders is terribly painful and my breast bone hurts if not using my predistone and Indomathacin SR. Suffice to say that I HURT all over. 15 months ago now following a knee surgery (by my rhumy's guess) is when this all started.

We bought a Sterns and Foster Summerdale (the key to shopping around for Sterns and Foster is that each store will sell similar models...but the first letter of the model will be virtually identical to another stores model). For example...the Summerdale at one store might be the Simmerton at another dealership. It is a pillowtop which allows for the movement required by the disease during the night...with little discomfort. We also recently added a Tempsoma memory foam topper (from Sam's Club) to it which made an AWESOME bed even better. Don't skimp on the price of your bed. You will regret it if you do. I figured it out to .44 cents per night for the next 10 years. Not too bad when you are talking about 8 to 9 hours per night. Good luck!

Closed Thread