It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2004, 10:04 AM   #1

hmckatiebug HB User
Rheumatoid and birth control

Hey all...

I recently had a blood test done as a part of a fairly normal doctor's visit and it came back with a very positive ANA test. The doctor said that this could be anything from hepatitis to lupus to rheumatoid arthritis. I am fairly sure that it is indeed not the first two, but could I have RA at this young? Is it common for oral contraceptive to cause such an extreme false positive? I am only 17...can anyone help calm my fears?

Old 08-16-2004, 11:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: Rheumatoid and birth control

RA can start out very young and arthritis in general is not age specific. Some folks think that only Seniors get arthritis of any type, this is not the case. Many here with RA have had it since they were very young and personally I've had OA since age 10.
RA does run in the family, does anyone you know of also have RA? Lupus is very similiar as well but often not detected until in your 30s - 40s, but i can start at a young age.
I doubt that birth control would cause a false positive. Are you having any symptoms such as pain, swelling or a butterfly shaped rash on your face or body? These are indications of arthritis.
Did your doctor suggest you get tested again and also seek out a Rheumatologist? If not I would suggest you do so, you'll want to get a diagnosis for sure. It could of been just a one time thing and a fluke but it honestly is best to to be sure especially if it is RA or Lupus!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2004, 04:13 PM   #3

thescaredest HB User
Re: Rheumatoid and birth control

Hi there. RA can affect the young, in fact it is called "juevinille arthritis" (my spelling may be bad due to fingers hurting). I am 24 and I have been diagnosed with RA. From what I have been reading most people are diagnosed with RA from 25-40. I think people just hear arthritis and think of the arthritis that elderly people get. Too many commericals on tv I guess. My friend had some of the same symptoms as me and she is only 27 but she found out she has Lupus.
My advice would be to see an actual Rheumatologist. Most of them will take a while to get in. So what I did was make an apt with several doctors and had them put me on cancelation lists. That way I could get a second opinion and so on. They have tests that will determine if it is RA vs Lupus. My general doctor did those for me and then my Rheumy doc had more RA tests done for me once he saw my Rheumatioid factor.

And I don't know for sure but I would say that an oral contraceptive would have not much to do with any results like that. I would say....get a different doctor to do more bloodwork on you--if you can a Rheumy. No offense but that one sounds....well, I would just get a different opinion.

Closed Thread