It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2004, 07:38 PM   #1

thescaredest HB User
Low sed rate??? What does this mean??

Hi,

As many of you know I was diagnosed with RA in July. I had an avalanching case of RA (started out in my thumb weeks later I could barely walk--it had taken ove rmy body). So now here I am 7 weeks later...on 6 pills of Metho, some Bextra, and Pred. After getting a second opinion the new doc had me take more tests because he felt I need to be on either Enbrel or Humira. But after reading the results of one of them he thinks we should give the Metho more time and wait now on the other drugs. He said that my Sed rate is a 4!!!!!! That's normal? Right? It says normal is 0-20. I know that my RF factor in July was a 100.9 but my sed rate then was 12. I did not have my RF factor tested again just the sed rate (along with other liver tests).

Does this mean the Metho is working? Or that the RA is going away? I still feel pain, still very stiff in the morning and it lasts for hours? What does this mean?

I think this test may have put the brakes on the new docs ideas of putting me on another drug. WHich is ok...the less drugs I have to be on the better. But I am so confused about having a normal sed rate---what does this mean now for me????

ANy help would be great

Old 09-15-2004, 02:58 PM   #2

darlenecarnes HB User
Re: Low sed rate??? What does this mean??

I do not know what this rate means but I am curious to find out what a 4 means myself because my sed rate is a level 4 and I am being tested for lupus. Hope someone can help us out with the answer.
Thanks,
Darlene

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2004, 08:12 PM   #3

thescaredest HB User

Hi Darlene
Thanks for responding! From what I have gathered either from talk, reading, or asking my doctor again...is that is the test they do for inflammation. I guess it can be inflammation anywhere--sore throat, to kidneys, to fingers. Some doctors use it to help measure what they are working with and were they are now..and so on. They never go just on that test, from what my doctor says. My doctor told me it is nice to know the sed rate but it is nothing definative on the diagnoses itself.

Let me know how it goes with the Lupus test!

Old 09-16-2004, 06:01 AM   #4
(male)

Albie HB User

Many Dr.s are now using both sed rate and a CRP (C- reactive protein) test because the CRP seems to be more sensitive to the immediate inflammation. For example, 2 weeks ago while in intense pain I had both tests done and while my sed rate was 6 (or very low for a 55 yr old male), my CRP was 6.7 (normal is less than 0.8). Some medical literature suggests that there should be 0 level of CRP which is a protein manufactured by your liver to fight an attack (inflammation) to your immune system. Additionally CRP seems to be a better indicator of whether or not a particular medication is working. My Dr. will be checking my CRP monthly for this reason and is not at all concerned with my sed rate. By the way, it is a simple and inexpensive test that can be done with just a drop of blood, even a pin *****.
Hope this helps and best of luck,
Al

Closed Thread