It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2004, 06:17 PM   #1

angelwingsxxxx HB User
Question Neurontin For Arthritis?

has anyone taken neurontin for arthritis i have spinal arthritis and alot of nerves are exposed due to the loss of cartiliage, and my doctor would like to try the med on me since alot of my pain is nerve pain, cramping throbbing burning deep aching all the time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2004, 05:28 AM   #2

heartbreaker HB User
Re: Neurontin For Arthritis?

Hi. It was quite timely for me to find your question. I am scheduled for hip replacement tomorrow! The past month brought me a new, burning pain that was worse than any I've had this past year. I felt like there was a cookout going on in my thigh and groin...yikes. My surgeon prescribed neurontin and I was hesitant because I researched it and found it was an anti-seizure med. But I also discovered that it was very successful in treating nerve damage pain so...what the heck. I was desperate!! I take 300mg in the AM and PM and it has made a world of difference. Please give it a try. I am not a person who runs to take any drug out there, but I was suffering and it seemed foolish not to get help. Good luck to you. I can honestly say that I feel ypur pain!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2004, 08:22 AM   #3

angelwingsxxxx HB User

good luck with your surgery. i really do not want to take celebrex anymore so if he is really serious about the new med i will try it. are there any bad side effects?

Old 10-14-2004, 09:18 AM   #4
(male)

Albie HB User

Angel,
If you look in the Neuropathy section you will see a lot of pro's and con's for Neurontin. Personally, I have been taking it for approx. 4 months for neuropathic pain ,from arthritis caused narrrowing in my spinal canal. Neurontin has helped the radicular pain in my arms immensely though not totally. At least now it is very tolerable. Be warned though that Neurontin is not a replacement for Celebrex or any other Arthritis med. The Arthritis meds are to control any inflammation caused pain NOT nerve pain. I am currently taking both Neurontin (300 mg/every 6 hrs) and Bextra (Celebrex was not working for me).
Hopefully, when I have my spinal fusion surgery that will take care of the nerve pain and I can stop the Neurontin.
I have had no serious side effects from this med. although it is supposed to cause memory loss and confusion. Now, what was I saying ?(LOL)
Best of luck in everything,
Al

Old 10-15-2004, 11:53 AM   #5
(female)

creinha HB User

I took Neurontin for cervical arthritis. It helped only slightly on the nerve pain. However, it was terrible on my memory. I thought I was losing it!

Old 10-15-2004, 12:49 PM   #6

angelwingsxxxx HB User

yes i know i have read that about the medicine what milligram were you taking?

Old 10-15-2004, 12:53 PM   #7
(female)

creinha HB User

At first, I was taking 300 mg. When that didn't work, he upped the dosage to 600 mg. That helped some.

Old 10-15-2004, 02:34 PM   #8

SANNIE HB User

I too have taken neurontin for about 2yrs. I take it with celebrex and dihydocoedine. I had the most awful nerve pain due to fibro, could not bear even my clothes touching me, couldn't cuddle my kids and found it painful if anyone even stood too near me! Also couldn't bear the water from the shower on my skin. I take between 300 & 600mg twice a day and although it does not eliminate the pain, it at least leaves me able to cope. I have had no side effect from this at all, so I would say it's definately worth trying. Good Luck

Old 10-15-2004, 08:23 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

I have cervical and spinal arthritis and Neurontin really didn't help much in the nerve pain department, gave me some really awesome dreams tho. I stopped taking it as it also gave me severe anxiety attacks and I don't need any help getting them, I do well creating my own anxiety without drugs.

Old 10-16-2004, 01:54 PM   #10

Iwantacure HB User
Exclamation Re: Neurontin For Arthritis?

Anybody experienced this?
Most of my pain is concentrated in the palm of my hands. (though I was diagnosed with fibromyaglia but when the pain subsides a little in all my body the pain in both palms of my hands start striking like arthritis or I don't know what it is. I did the test for arthritis and no signs of it in my blood were shown. I did the tsh test which came out normal. I was diagnosed with fibro but it touch the bones. I couldn't find a doctor who believes me. I'm totally buffled.
Please help since I'm getting into deep depression(and obviously deep pain).
HELP.

Last edited by Iwantacure; 10-16-2004 at 01:55 PM.

Old 10-17-2004, 05:11 AM   #11
(female)

LaurieCrochets HB User

Hi everyone,
I think I may have been taking Neurontin for the last 8 years? Maybe 10? I started it to help with Migraines.

All I can say is this: last October I quit it for 2 months because of financial difficulties. In November my back went out horribly, and it started all of this, which now I have Lupus. What I am saying is IT HELPS TREMENDOUSLY for ME. The back going out trigerred all of this 'hell' I am still going thru to now. I went back on my Neurontin sooooooo fast!!! So I take a total of 2400mg thru the day. My arthritis is still excrutiating! So, just figure if I 'didn't' take it??? I coudn't even think of it!!

Old 10-17-2004, 07:27 AM   #12

angelwingsxxxx HB User

i saw you said your arthritis is excruciating? neurontin help the arthritis?

Old 10-17-2004, 04:45 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Harmony5 HB User

Dear Iwantacure,

I'm sorry you're depressed. The pain alone is enough to depress you, let alone trying to find a dr. who believes in you. I completely understand.
I also have fibromyalgia and arthritis. Keep trying to find another dr. until you find one who knows how to help you. As far as your hand pain, I have not experienced that, other than my hands feel tight, stiff and swollen. I'll say a prayer for you that you will get the help you need and can find peace in the midst of your pain and depression will lift. Do you have anyone in your family or close friend who you can talk to and who understands? Take care now and keep in touch with those on the board here.

Regarding Neurontin, I do take it for arthritis. My neurosurgeon prescribed it.
I can only tolerate 100 mg. twice daily and that is not enough to help my pain. The dr. said I should be taking more but it makes me too tired.
One thing Neurontin does for me is helps my anxiety and keeps my bp down.
That is the reason I keep taking the low dose. Maybe it works the opposite for those taking a higher dose, I don't know. Although, medications effect people differently. My mother-in-law takes it also for arthritis, 300 mg. twice daily and it helps her a lot.

Gail

Last edited by gaildw4; 10-17-2004 at 04:51 PM.

Old 10-18-2004, 06:35 PM   #14
(female)

LaurieCrochets HB User

Angelwingzz,
Yeah!!!! Re-read my post. I wouldn't do without it ever!!
Thanks!
Laurie

Old 10-19-2004, 10:48 AM   #15
(female)

sivyaleah HB User

I was taking Neurontin, 300 mg at bedtime, along with Arthrotec (one of the Cox-II type anti-inflammatories) for back pain related to narrowing of spinal canal, and nerve related pain in my neck and arms and hips. Took it for about 9 months and it worked wonders for me. All the nerve related pain dissipated completed and, I was having some RLS symptoms which it helped as well. Helped me sleep better also, which was a plus as I used to wake up several times at night due to the excrutiating pain running down my arms particularly.

I have been recently weened off it, and have been finding that there are some nights where the nerve pain is noticable so I guess I need to discuss this w/my doctor. There is a lot of controversy surrounding it's off-label usage, but considering a lot of reputable doctors are prescribing it, I think there is some reason to trust that it could work for you. I was a bit suspect, considering it's classification as a anti-seizure drug, like you but when my doctor said try that, or a low dosage of an anti-depressant, which I was totally against, since I wasn't depressed LOL.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Laurie

Closed Thread