It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2004, 02:55 PM   #1

468LC HB User
Enbrel usage while being sick cold/flu?????

I have had a couple of colds while on enbrel(taken for ankylosing spondylitis) and have always stopped taking while sick. Usually no big deal at all.

Well I got sick about a month ago and skipped a dose then got better. I then forgot to take it my next scheduled week(first time ever in a year lol) and then I got sick from my wife the next week. I am now getting over that.

To make a long story even longer am now on 3 weeks plus without enbrel and I am starting to hurt again.

I am also taking antibiotics but I am feeling much better and just have some congestion.

Getting over colds and flus has never been a problem although I do get sick usually 1 to 3 times a year.
Should I take my dose of enbrel. Am I worried about nothing? Probably.

Any thoughts on this matter would be much appreciated.

Steve

Old 10-23-2004, 04:11 PM   #2

468LC HB User
Re: Enbrel usage while being sick cold/flu?????

Well I talked to the phone support nurse at enbrel and she thought it best to wait.

Who would have thunk that lol.

Guess I will make some phone calls on monday.

How many others are there in the healtboards community on enbrel.

After living with massive pain for years and years Enbrel took it all away in less than a week.
I also have not had iritis since going on enbrel knock on wood.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2004, 09:04 PM   #3

468LC HB User

No one else is on enbrel in here? wow I would have expected lots of members on it.

Old 10-25-2004, 05:01 AM   #4

oligo_2 HB User

d a severe upper respiratory infection, called the Enbrel hotline and the nurse told me to ask my RD. SO I called and the nurse from the RD told me that he said to remain on it. So I remain on the Enbrel whether I am ill or not. SO far so good.

Although, when I take my injection while ill, I am usually knocked out cold for the day of the injection. I sleep alll day long. But other than that I do fine.

Old 10-25-2004, 06:21 AM   #5

468LC HB User

Thank you for your post.

I think in the future I probably will as well(remain on that is).

I'll be talking to my docs this week about this.

Old 10-25-2004, 06:53 AM   #6
(female)

nooyawker HB User

I've been on enbrel almost 2 yrs. now and it is working very well. I had the same concerns and basically if I get a cold or virus I just stop the enbrel for a while. I also worry about long term side effects of enbrel so I tend to take less rather than more. In fact I once went for 3 months without injecting and my rheumatoid arthritis didnt act up. When I started feeling crappy I started injections again. I'm sure my doc would have a fit if she knew but thats just the way I am. I was prescribed 2 meds in the past that have now been taken off the market so I am very cautious. I dont recommend anyone else do this but it works for me.

Old 10-26-2004, 04:53 AM   #7

oligo_2 HB User

Wow Noo! I see your point. I have been known to go off meds too for a bit....I know when my body has had enough, then I cut back.

Old 11-10-2004, 08:49 PM   #8

lbwp HB User

My Rd tells me that I have to stop taking my Enbrel when I get sick & especially if I am having to take any antibiotics to get well. I'm not supposed to begin taking the Enbrel again until I am completely well. It has been explained to me that while on Enbrel my immune system is being compromised/suppressed & I have to stop taking the Enbrel so that my immune system can kick back into overdrive to fight off the illness of which it can't do while being on it. The antibiotics can't do their job of getting me better because the Enbrel won't let them.

I have only been on Enbrel since May 2004 & I have not yet been faced w/this situation, however, I am very nervous about my RA pain coming back from not taking the Enbrel should I get sick. I am more scared of the NOT TAKING of Enbrel than I am of the taking of it. I realize that no one knows the long term effects from taking Enbrel, but I have to live for today because I may not be here tomorrow. Enbrel really does let me live a RA pain free life, so far so good.

Lisa

Old 12-06-2004, 08:04 PM   #9
(female)

Susanbrennan80 HB User

sick or not,I take my enbrel. why be be pukey, sneezy, bloewy, limpy, crabby grumpy, lamey and crippy?( my own version of the seven dwarfs) lol seriously it's great stuff use it good luck

Closed Thread