It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2004, 07:30 PM   #1

casey2291 HB User
Does arthritis cause sharp pains

Hi. I was out running last April and stepped down and got sharp pains in my knee. I have had problems ever since, with sharp pains on and off. Some days it feels ok with no sharp pains and just some pain in general. I have been to PT and have seen two OS. The first OS said that it was a medial meniscus tear and he wanted to scope my knee. The second OS said that he wanted to have an MRI done, which is not for another two weeks. He looked at my x-rays and said that I have some hardening on the bone below my meniscus and that my x-ray looked like that of a 38 year old and not that a 28 year old. He said that I could have maybe have small degenerative tears to my meniscus or arthritis. I have lately begun to have some pain in my other knee as well in the same place. I am worried that this could be arthritis, but from what I have read arthritis is more of an ache verses sharp pains. Can anyone tell me if that it the case or are sharp pains also associated with arthritis?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2004, 04:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User
Re: Does arthritis cause sharp pains

I would say that it can. I have arthritis in both knees and get sharp pains, soreness, stiffness and aching in them. At first, I was diagnosed with Chondromalcia. After I had surgery on the right knee, the Dr. told me I had arthritis in there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2004, 07:45 AM   #3

Aayla HB User

I get sharp pains in my knees, feet and fingers. Oh.. and elbow. This is a daily occurance. My dad gets the same.

Old 11-21-2004, 09:43 PM   #4

Excelsoir HB User

Hello Casey2291,
Osteoarthritis is commonly associated with aging and/or previous injury.
It sounds as if you are getting good medical attention, and should get a precise dianosis and treatment advice. There are different types of arthritis, but I am pretty sure you doctor is talking "osteo". The pain can be different in quality, so in itself it is not diagnostic. Let the medicos make a full diagnosis, so they can give you the correct advice. All the best.
Excelsoir

Closed Thread