It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2004, 09:58 AM   #1

Labman HB User
Gout, Calcium-Related?

I suffer from gout periodically, but I have a friend who also gets it from time to time who really battles with it. His doctor told him that his gout is related to calcium buildup, not uric acid, and that there's no medicines that he's aware of that can help him. I think he gets a steroid shot sometimes when he has it and that helps a little bit, but I was wondering if anyone here had this problem. He is the first guy I've heard of with calcium-related gout.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2004, 08:23 AM   #2
(male)

fwa1981 HB User
Re: Gout, Calcium-Related?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labman
I suffer from gout periodically, but I have a friend who also gets it from time to time who really battles with it. His doctor told him that his gout is related to calcium buildup, not uric acid, and that there's no medicines that he's aware of that can help him. I think he gets a steroid shot sometimes when he has it and that helps a little bit, but I was wondering if anyone here had this problem. He is the first guy I've heard of with calcium-related gout.
Hello Labman,

How do we determine whether the gout is due ot uric acid bulidup or calcium buildup? There are blood tests for uric acid. But what about calcium? What tests are there to show if you have calcium buildup in your joints?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2004, 11:49 PM   #3

Excelsoir HB User

Hi Labman,
Gout typically is related to high levels of uric acid in the blood. Your friend's doctor may be talking about some other joint problem or there could have been a misunderstanding. There are medications (& diets) that treat/prevent gout, although they can have unpleasant side-effects.I am not medically qualified, but do suffer gout occassionally. All the best,
Excelsoir

Old 11-23-2004, 10:13 PM   #4

Labman HB User

I did ask him if he was mistaken about it being calcium and he insisted that his doctor told him that was what was causing his gout. He said that tests were run that determined it, but I'm not sure what kind were run. He was told it occurs rarely in people, but that it did occur nevertheless. Even though he can get a steroid shot occasionally, he really has to let it run it's course and it usually takes a week or two to pass.

Old 01-27-2005, 03:29 PM   #5
(female)

houston40 HB User

Gout can be calcium or uric acid related. Uric acid is more common, however.

Closed Thread