It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2004, 08:55 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
Seems all the anti inflamatories are

causing heart problems. gee, what's left? Grin and bear it? I can't take naturopathic meds as they don't work and I have bad side effects, I was taking Aleve as it doesn't give me heartburn, I never tried vioxx or celebrex. I have tried Mobic, so far no major "sudden findings" with that one but then they probably will. I'm just getting tired of all these drugs they shove at us and then finding out it is killing people. Pharmacuetacals are in it for the money and obviously are not doing enough research with their billions they say they need to bring these drugs out!!!!!!!! Gee, they leave us in limbo. heat wraps and ice packs are all that's left for pain relief.

Old 12-21-2004, 06:11 AM   #2
(female)

denmom HB User
Re: Seems all the anti inflamatories are

I have to agree, I am so frustrated with all this but thankful they are removing it from the market so that "we RA'ers " will have one less health problem. I am getting to the point of just forgetting the meds and let me live out my life. But the problem remains, damage to the joints and endless pain.

I have been battling this disease for all too long now, and I am throwing my arms up in the air/throwing the towel in. It seems we finally get insurance approval, they remove the drugs, or better still, you find a drug that works and then they cancel your insurance or remove the drugs.

denmom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2004, 12:09 PM   #3

cindygre HB User

I take Lodine as an anti inflamatory. It really helps low side effects and its been in use a long time. Worth a try.
Cindy

Old 12-22-2004, 10:39 AM   #4
Inactive

jrf5460 HB User

I take Orudis KT (an OTC). Kinda expensive though...about $7.50 a bottle. Works great for me. Oughta try one time.

Take care, Joe

Old 12-27-2004, 01:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Orudis (which is ASA based) and Lodine are very very old medications that are in fact very notorious for gastro bleeds, please be careful with them!

There are many old anti-imflamatories out there still in use that are great medications that don't cause heart failure, but they all cause some side effect, primarily gastro bleeds or ulcers.

I started on Aspirin at age 10, some 28 years ago, I cause a stomache bleed. I was changed over to something similiar to Lodine, same thing. And so through the years every med I've tried have all had the same results, gastro bleeds or severe heartburn (which for me leads to bleeds) until the CoOx which is the new ones causing heart problems.
I take Mobic now, get a little bit of help from it, my OA is so advanced not much helps the swelling except steriods, which are just as evil.

It's difficult living with Arthritis of any form, most medications will cause a problem somewhere down the road in life but I guess the real question you have to ask yourself is.. is your suffering so bad that you live without the medications?
If it is then sometimes the risks associated with the medications is worth it.

Old 12-27-2004, 01:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Some more info:

NSAIDs are a class of drugs that relieves the symptoms associated with many forms of arthritis by slowing the body's production of prostaglandins. There are more than 20 different NSAIDs approved by the Food and Drug Administration in the US. Aspirin is the most well-known anti-inflammatory agent. Other NSAIDs include ibuprofen (Motrin, Nuprin or Advil, for example), naproxen (Naprosyn, Aleve) and indomethacin (Indocin).

Newer NSAIDs, including celecoxib (Celebrex) and valdecoxib (Bextra), are as effective as the older NSAIDs but cause fewer ulcers. (These newer drugs are called "Cox-II selective" because they primarily inhibit one enzyme called Cox-II, rather than inhibiting both Cox-I and Cox-II, as the older drugs do.)
These are the meds being pulled for potential heart failure.

The most powerful anti-inflammatory agents are corticosteroids. These are synthetic versions of the body's hormone, cortisone, that are produced in small quantities by the adrenal gland. Synthetically produced corticosteroids are used to reduce inflammation and suppress activity of the immune system. The most commonly prescribed are prednisone and dexamethasone.

When a person does not respond to NSAIDs, or when the arthritis appears to be a result of an autoimmune disease, such as systemic lupus erythematosus or rheumatoid arthritis, disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs may be used. Many of these medications are actually borrowed from other diseases, specifically cancer and malaria. Antimalarials include chloroquine (Aralen) and hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil). Drugs considered to be even more powerful in these diseases include methotrexate (Rheumatrex), sulfasalazine, cyclosporine, azathioprine (Imuran) and cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan). All of these agents act to suppress inflammation, presumably through their effects on the immune system, and also have a risk of more serious side effects.

Gold salts, another disease-modifying antirheumatic drug, have been used to treat arthritis for more than half a century; however, the way in which they work is not entirely clear. It is rare now for physicians to prescribe gold.

One common form of arthritis, osteoarthritis, does not involve significant inflammation. As a result, managing pain may be the primary focus of medical therapy. Pain relievers such as acetaminophen (Tylenol) may then be sufficient to control the pain. Other options in osteoarthritis include NSAIDs, other pain relievers, or a recently approved injection treatment called hyaluronate, although its effects are modest.

I'd have to say for me, I fit mostly in that last paragraph, the goal isn't to control the swelling anymore because it is fruitless, it's to keep me comfortable by means of narcotics when surgical replacements is no longer an option.

Old 01-01-2005, 12:41 AM   #7
(male)

JohnFrum HB User

Naproxen Sodium (Naprosyn) is ok, don't believe the test results about it causing all these terrible health effects. Perhaps in the elderly (above age 60) there's a detrimental effect, but I've been taking it as needed for 18 months, and there's no issues at all. Of course, I want to minimize my use of it, as any artificial medication has side effects. One thing to consider in lieu of any 'modern' medication are Omega 3 fatty acids (EFA's). Flax Oil (mechanically - expeller pressed) is an excellent source for these, which are natural anti-inflammatories. Of course ingesting flax oil is extra fat calories so one must account for that in their overall diet plan. If you decide to use such flax oil make sure its in opaque (black containers) and is kept refrigerated because light and heat degrade such oil and the long term result will be that you have linseed oil (flax oil which has spoiled and gone very rancid) which is suitable only for varnishing wooden furniture. I take 2-3 tablespoons of flax oil daily (a bit of a mega dose but I am very active so the extra calorie intake isn't a major factor, yet) - I have noticed a SIGNIFICANT increase in mobility and lack of overall stifness.

Old 01-01-2005, 12:49 PM   #8
(female)

valerie caskane HB User

The problem with alot of these meds is that they are disease specific-there are not that many for people with ra and pa. Unless you get put into the chemo family and that IS a whole different ball game....
I am still a tylenol #3 gal but watch the dose as it can cause kidney problems.
You would think that with all of the money going out for disability payments that somebody would be able to find something that works for us---I guess that is part of the problem with the vioxx etc. We are all crying for comfort and then alot of the testing gets missed because we are in great need....$$$ going out certainly should make the gov'ts put more into health reasearch but it doesn't...bummer!

Old 01-04-2005, 05:06 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am very glad to hear Naprosyn worked for you John! It is a good product for those who can take it. I think part of it is people react differently to various medications. I can not take Naproxen Sodium, it caused a gastro bleed some many years ago, in fact I can't take anything with ASA in it either. It wasn't until the new set of C0x inhibitors that I got any type of minimal relief outside of steriods (which are just as horrible). Unfortunately I'm at such an advanced stage of OA that very little honestly helps with the swelling these days.

No matter what medication you take or try be sure to do a little reading on it and definately ask questions about potential side effects, what not to mix the medication with (grapefruit juice for example causes some med effect to multiply by a 10 factor) and always always report any suspicious new side effects to your doctor immediately, especially black tarry stools and stomache pains.

Old 06-05-2005, 01:52 PM   #10

Iwantacure HB User

It depends.
Did you know that all those anti-inflammatory drugs can cause HEARING LOSS?
Once you have it, you can't fix it. You need hearing aids.
Check for side effects.

Old 06-05-2005, 07:29 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

teachergirl64 HB User

I don't want to think about the $$ I've spent on anti-inflammatories that I discovered I couldn't take after a few days on it. My rheumatologist finally prescribed a milder NSAID (Salsalate) along with Darvocet as needed for pain. So far, it does a decent job of helping without causing my ankles to balloon, my blood pressure to soar or my tummy to hurt.

Closed Thread