It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2004, 05:28 PM   #1
(female)

Jewels60 HB User
Is a treadmill too stressful on the knees?

I have just been dx with arthritis of the knees. My Dr. told me some exercises I could do but he didn't mention the treadmill before he rushed out the door. Do any of you happen to know if I should continue to use it?

Old 12-23-2004, 08:18 AM   #2
Inactive

jrf5460 HB User
Re: Is a treadmill too stressful on the knees?

Being a former competitive triathlete who has had both knees operated on, I can tell you without a doubt that a treadmill is not the best exercise. It is what is called an "impact" exercise, meaning that you impact your feet which causes stress up your leg.

Good exercises are a stationary bike, eliptical, and any water exercise. After any exercise, if your knees are bothering you, remember RICE. "Rest, Ice, Compression, and Ice". Streching is critical prior at the beginning and end of any exercise.

If i can help in anyway, just let me know.

Take care,
Joe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2004, 10:00 AM   #3
(female)

Jewels60 HB User

Thanks Joe!!
I had a cortisone shot one week ago and it didn't seem to help and I'm very discouraged. Dr. said knee replacement down the road. He also said those exercises so will stick to them. Guess I'lll just give my treadmill away.
I was wondering when to do ice and when to do heat. Ice if it's swollen? Warm would be nice but not sure which to do when.

Old 12-23-2004, 12:30 PM   #4
Inactive

jrf5460 HB User

You can aternate between ice and heat. Start with 15 minutes of ice then 15 minutes of heat. Alternate until you feel relief, but always end with ice.

Don't trash the treadmill just yet. A slow walk is very beneficial if you do it slow and remember heal to toe. Slow and easy will be the rule for the treadmill.

I too am facing replacement of the right knee in the near future. So I know what you're feeloing!!

Take care,
Joe

Old 12-23-2004, 12:31 PM   #5
Inactive

jrf5460 HB User

You can aternate between ice and heat. Start with 15 minutes of ice then 15 minutes of heat. Alternate until you feel relief, but always end with ice.

Don't trash the treadmill just yet. A slow walk is very beneficial if you do it slow and remember heal to toe. Slow and easy will be the rule for the treadmill.

I too am facing replacement of the right knee in the near future. So I know what you're feeling!

Take care,
Joe

Old 12-28-2004, 07:17 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

Same here, don't trash the treadmil, I walk 4 times a week, but I do it at a non impact way, nice and easy, I have arthritis in the knees and feet as well as the hands and neck, so at least you can do some walking even with those bad knees, you just need to listen to your body and do a slow dance. I also like the eliptical where Ican get cardio on that one without the impact on the knees.

Old 12-29-2004, 09:17 AM   #7
(female)

Jewels60 HB User

Thanks for all your replies! Gosh it's good to know all of you care enough to answer. I will keep the treadmill and try it soon. The cortisone shot didn't work so.... I think the bike it the way to go for now. Joe, thank you for the help on the ice and heat. Will give all these a good try.

Old 12-29-2004, 10:16 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

I have to agree, a slow walk on a treadmill will be ok, its when you break into a jog that you are causing undue stress on the knees.

Be very careful with heat. If your joint is swollen heat can cause it to swell even more. Use ice for any swelling and heat for mild aches or to get the joint itself warmed up before moving around.

Cheers
Barbie

Old 12-30-2004, 01:19 PM   #9
(female)

croppingmom HB User

My dad had knee replacement in mid November, was driving and doing everything for himself by first of December. He is obese to say the least and needs to do something about his weight. I gave him good walking shoes for christmas. His other knee needs to be replaced also, he is looking at March time frame. Any advice on how I can help him loose some weight. He is wobling just like he was before the first knee replacement. He is getting ready to start shots in this knee also. Thanks

Closed Thread