It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2005, 05:27 AM   #1
(female)

Lynnmaree HB User
Groin Pain/Hip replacement

HI-

I've had groin pain due to arthritis/bonespurs on my hip and was advised in the fall of 2003 that I'll need to have the hip replacement sometime in the next year or so. The rheumatologist told me I'd know when to have the surgery depending on how much pain I was in. I can climb stairs, use the elliptical trainer and tread ok if I go slowly. The most painful time for me is at night. I do suffer from groin pain and have for the past few years. I also get "spasms". I'm not in severe pain although I do have pain when putting on socks/shoes, lifting foot in the shower etc. I feel it's not time to have the surgery yet I was told I'd need it due to the severe deterioration of hip. Would I be better off to have the surgery sooner or wait until it gets worse? Anyone else out there with groin pain? It also affects my right knee. Thanks.

Lynmaree

Old 01-13-2005, 09:45 AM   #2
eddiesbaby

Re: Groin Pain/Hip replacement

I have groin pain in my lower left side, with a sore left hip bursa, and left leg pain.
I also have sciatica. I havn't had an mri yet, but , I need one.
I am a little scared that my hip is messed up and i will need surgery, but , i tell ya, if it meant living without pain for one day, it would be worth it.

Hope all goes well for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2005, 06:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Lynmaree
I am sorry that you are in pain and will need a hip replacement surgery. Your post has just given me a wake up call. I have had right groin pain for over 2 years now. I cannot put a sock on my right foot. I assumed this was from my very bad back and back pain. This past March my Rheumatologist diagnosed me with bursitis of both hips. I had pain in both hips since my lumbar fusion surgery in June 2003. He first gave me a cortisone injection into my right hip but it didn't help my pain at all. The right hip was always worse then the left. He also had done an x-ray of the right hip and said that it looks as if I was on the verge of developing osteoporosis. Sometimes I can't even touch my hips with my hands. I couldn't even lie on them at night. I do take Bextra and it has helped with the hips some. But I never connected that my groin pain could be from my hip and never told my Rheumatologist about it as I always told my neuro surgeon. I also wear slip on shoes for the back and the legs. I am sorry that my post has not helped you any, but just wanted to let you know that it sure did help me....

I will keep you in my prayer's and hope that all goes well on whatever your decision may be.
Jeanne

Instrumentation = 2 Rods, 6 Screws, 2 Disc Spacers
~CERVICAL~
Straightening of the Normal Cervical Lordosis.
Mild Congenital Narrowing of the Spinal Canal.
C4-5, C5-6, C6-7 Herniated Discs
C4-5 & C5-6 , Cord Flattening at these levels.
Bilateral Distal Peroneal Neuropathy
Bilateral Chronic L4 versus L5 Radiculopathy
Bilateral Frozen Shoulder
Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, Bursitis, Tendonitis,
Pre-Diabetic, Anemia, Asthma, Acid Reflux,
Migraine's, Sleep Apnea

Old 01-16-2005, 07:12 AM   #4
(female)

countrygal HB User

I too, have groin pain in my Left area with occassional Right side pain. The urologist said it was from IC and the GP said she agreed. I will discuss it with my Rhuemy in Feb and see what he says. At night i have R and L hip pain, with pain in my left thigh and lower leg about every night and morning along with the groin pain. I was wondering why it hadnt gotten better by now if it was the IC.

Old 01-16-2005, 06:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Countrygal
I am sorry that you suffer with IC (Interstitial Cystitis). I also have some bladder issue's such as incontinence and I did have a procedure to correct that problem. Unfortunately, it was just another surgery that did not benefit me. But I do not suffer with any pelvic pain only the groin and hip pain. If you also are not experiencing pelvic pain then I think that you are on the right track with discussing this matter with your Rheumatologist. He or She will know first hand if you have Bursitis just by pushing on a certain area of your hip. When mine rheu did this to me, I nearly screamed. Then he did the x-rays. I hope your appointment goes well.
Jeanne

Closed Thread