It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2005, 07:52 AM   #1

Lydiia HB User
Sudden onset and extreme pain -is this common?

I have been lurking here and trying not to ask questions until I get a firm diagnosis but my Rheumetologist appointment isnt until March and the suspense is killing me.

I went to my GP on a Monday complaining about fatigue and low body temps ( I have hashimotos/low thyroid) and while I was there I figured it was time to mention some minor arthritis-like pain in my hips, knees and toes. I also asked him about my index finger which has zero pain but is becoming quite deformed over time ( it is turning counterclockwise, i.e my index nail now faces my middle finger).
He was concerned about all of my symptoms so he ordered a full panel, Lymes, lupus, RH factor, among other tests for thyroid and iron.

By that Friday things had changed conciderably. 3 fingers on each hand had swelled between the middle and end digits, pain was spreading everywhere, knuckles in hand, bottom of thumb, 3 fingers on each hand starting at pinky. Stiffness set in so hard I felt like i had rigamortis in my fingers..cant even make a complete fist because they will only close 2/3rds of the way.

Within one week this all set in and set in hard. The pain was not something I could grin and bare and my functionality decresed markedly in what feels like "overnight". I cant open jars, button buttons, etc. I am 46 and I feel 80.

All of the tests came back normal/negative. I am sure I'll have an answer of some kind in a couple months when I get to see the rheumetologist but I can't help wondering how much damage is being done in the meantime and how can arthritis set in and spread like wildfire this fast?

I know from what I have read that it is possible to have RA without a positive blood test but it is rare and unlikely, leaving me wondering if it is even possible for this to be osteo? How can a degenerative joint disease like osteo flare this suddenly and with so much pain?

I am taking about 1000mg of Neproxen Sodium a day to keep the pain at a tolerable level and it is working well enough to get me through the workday but i cant help feeling that I just went from being pretty healthy to nearly disabled in two short weeks.

Has anyone else been hit fast and hard with this? And if so, was it RA or Osteo?
I'm just so confused. This doesnt make any sense to me.

Thanks for any input offered.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Lydiia
caligal50 (01-17-2012), twinkletoes8745 (01-23-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2005, 08:03 AM   #2
(female)

CTuit HB User
Re: Sudden onset and extreme pain -is this common?

From everything I've read, Osteo would be a slowly progressing problem (by more wear and tear on the joint). RA can come on quite rapidly and agressively. Mine started fairly quickly but then luckily slowed down. If yours is an agressive case it is important to get treatment started quickly. I would call the rheumatologist and let them know that things have changed dramatically. Quite often they can work you in earlier.

Old 02-04-2005, 03:42 PM   #3
(female)

Carmensandiego HB User

I just experienced a sudden onset of joint pain. Over the past two days my ankles, knees, shoulders, elbows, wrists and hands have been very painful and today my hand is stiff and swollen. I just got back blood tests that show a negative rheumatoid factor, a somewhat low white blood cell count, and a high SED rate. My doctor said it doesn't look like I have a bacterial infection, but it does look like I have a viral infection. I don't have a fever, my joints are not warm to the touch and I don't feel sick other than my aching joints.

I don't understand what this could be.

Old 02-25-2005, 06:19 PM   #4
(female)

syeda HB User

30 % of RA patients can have sero negative Rheumatoid Arthritis. I have been there for three years,where they said ...I have fibromayalgia. My symptoms got worst and worst and my joints are badly affected....fingers, wrist, elbows, shoulders...you name it. I can't even walk as stiff joints has caused neuropathy. Now they are sure it's RA sero negative. My symptoms were the same as you have described. hope u feel better.

Last edited by syeda; 02-25-2005 at 06:19 PM.

Old 03-03-2005, 01:18 PM   #5
(male)

Albie HB User

Lydiia: It is very possible that what you are experiencing is Psoriatic Arthritis. It has a very sudden and insidious onset, even overnight. When you see the Rheumie he may want you to have a blood test for the gene hla-b27. Although this gene is not definitive, if you are hla-b27+ it is much more likely that what you are experiencing is a Spondylarthropathy among which are PA, which can have a sudden onset and Ankylosing Spondylitis, which is usually much slower. I was originally dx'd some 12 yrs ago with AS but about 6 months ago that dx was changed to PA. The index and middle fingers on both hands are turning out like yours and I have a multitude of small and large joint pains. You may or may not have Psoriasis with PA but either way the treatment is about the same. As a matter of fact, the treatments for PA, P, AS and RA are about the same with the same meds approved for all. If you search PA and AS you may be able to relate to the symptoms thereby allowing you to converse more knowledgeably with the Rheum. If this is the case there are treatments available but I am hopeful that you get much better and more benign news. Best of luck.
Al

Old 11-27-2005, 01:07 AM   #6
(female)

scorpiotress HB User

[QUOTE=Lydiia]I have been lurking here and trying not to ask questions until I get a firm diagnosis but my Rheumetologist appointment isnt until March and the suspense is killing me.

I am new at this so I hope I am responding properly to Lydia who asked if anyone else has had severe joint pain come on so suddenly.

My boyfriend, just tonite, began screaming and yelling his entire body was in pain and that he was freezing. He has a fever and he mentioned the pain began in the palm of his hand. I am so afraid for him. I will make him start taking his vitamins again. I am so worried. He has bi-polar disorder, doesn't each meat, eats sugar mostly, and I mean stuff like candy, ice cream, pepsi, and more candy. He is so unruly I am often unable to even stick around to feed him. HELP!

Old 07-17-2008, 05:37 AM   #7
(female)

AllisonG HB User
Question Re: Sudden onset and extreme pain -is this common?

I know this post was from a long time ago but this has recently happened to me and I would love to hear from someone with the same symptoms.
In just the past week my left hand has become almost completely useless. The pain starts in the knuckle of my last 3 digits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydiia View Post
3 fingers on each hand had swelled between the middle and end digits, pain was spreading everywhere, knuckles in hand, bottom of thumb, 3 fingers on each hand starting at pinky. Stiffness set in so hard I felt like i had rigamortis in my fingers..cant even make a complete fist because they will only close 2/3rds of the way.

Within one week this all set in and set in hard. The pain was not something I could grin and bare and my functionality decresed markedly in what feels like "overnight". I cant open jars, button buttons, etc. I am 46 and I feel 80.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:39 PM   #8
(male)

madrivers1 HB User

I have to knpw what is going on with you now? I have these same exact symtoms and I will be calling my doctor in the AM. I have never felt this way and I am scard. I had a high fevor that lasted about 3 day about a week ago. Doctor said it was viral. Now this joint pain 1 week later. They did blood tests after the fevor and found my White Blood cell count was low, but the next day were going back up.

More to come,

Any advice?

The Following User Says Thank You to madrivers1 For This Useful Post:
loveulord (07-04-2012)
Old 05-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #9
(female)

MistyKelly HB User

I would like to hear the results of these comments and complaints. I seem to have suddenly had joint pain and swelling and been barely able at time to walk, unable to climb stairs. Not that long ago I was climbing stairs for exercise. But I had a MRSA infection last year and seem to have a weakened immune system. I am wondering if this could be lupus or another problem. I already have some serious arthritis in my spine, but to not walk with both knees, both ankles, both hips in pain all of a sudden is not a happy surprise for me. What is happening with others?

Thanks, Misty

Closed Thread