It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2005, 05:56 PM   #1
(female)

Josie11 HB User
Odd Swelling & Pain from RA? Please HELP!!

Last summer, I started to get a "cyst" between two knuckles on my right hand. The swelling went down and there was no pain, so I didn't think a trip to the doctor was necessary.

Three weeks ago, the cyst came back (swelled) along with pain. The pain feels like it is in entire back of my hand but mostly the knuckles, and sometimes the wrist hurts too. Sometimes the knuckles feel warm, which I know is a sign of RA. When I use the hand, the pain and swelling increase and at rest it goes away. Within the last three weeks, a second cyst has come up between the knuckles of my right hand.
In the last week, a lump between the knuckles has come up on left hand and two smaller lumps seem to be starting between the other knuckles on the left hand. The left hand doesn't seem to have any pain, however, I do have stiffness in the morning in both hands but it's not very painful and goes away quickly. Some days I experience very little pain and other days, the simplest task causes great pain.

I am confused because I've not seen or read anything about swelling BETWEEN the knuckles. The only swelling I have right now is BETWEEN them. Also, I've read that if you have arthritis in one hand you will definitely have it in the other. However, I don't have any real pain to speak of in the left hand - just the cysts that are starting.

My doctor thought I had tendonitis and put me on naproxem. The naproxem did NOT help! If I use the hand, the swelling gets worse and when I stop using the hand, the swelling does down. The medicine had no effect - but the side effects of it killed me! He changed me to Daypro and I couldn't take it. I just couldn't go through those side effects again!

Has anyone heard of swelling between the knuckles with RA? I have a second doctor's visit this week and need to know if I should bring up RA to him. PLEASE HELP! I am really scared so any help you can give me is greatly appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2005, 05:01 AM   #2
(female)

paf0323 HB User
Re: Odd Swelling & Pain from RA? Please HELP!!

Hi Josie11, I sure hope that you are doing ok. Am curious though since I have been having similar symptoms as you, if you experience any itching that is painful at the same time at the area prior to swelling?

Old 04-13-2005, 10:48 AM   #3
(female)

Josie11 HB User

Hi, thanks for responding and sorry to hear that you have similar symptoms. No, I don't have any itching. I saw my GP yesterday and he took x-rays and blood. The x-rays only showed that I don't have any bone tumors (which is good!) However, they couldn't give him any insight into the swollen cysts between my knuckles. He put me on Medrol for a week and my blood tests will come back in a week too. You know - at this point I don't really care what I have as long as I have a proper diagnosis. It's harder to handle when the doctor says "I think you have..." and puts me on medication that makes me sicker only to find out the meds don't work. I was hoping someone might respond with similar symptoms so that I would know if it is definitely RA or not. Hopefully, I'll know more next week.

Old 04-14-2005, 05:27 AM   #4
(female)

paf0323 HB User

Sorry I couldn't help you with any definite diagnosis on my end. The swelling begins with the itching and I better take off any rings that I have on that finger(s) as soon as I notice it. The first time it happened on a finger with a ring, I was almost forced to have them cut off the swelling was so bad and continued up the back of my hand into my wrist. The whole entire area from fingertip to wherever the swelling stops is hot. My doctor is clueless, may be time to find another. Let us know what the test results are for you. I hope you will get some answers soon!

Old 04-14-2005, 08:29 AM   #5
(female)

Josie11 HB User

You know - it almost sounds like you are having an allergic reaction to something you've touched. I am highly allergic to dust mites. If I come in contact with something dusty I break out in little itchy bumps only at the site where I contacted the dust. Is there any commonality for each time the swelling comes up? Make notes of what you ate, touched, smelled, activity you were engaging in or whatever and see if you find something common. In case it's not an allergy though, I would find another doctor. If your doctor cannot make a diagnosis, he/she shouldn't have a problem referring you to another doctor who could (maybe another doctor within the same practice.)

Closed Thread