It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2005, 06:47 AM   #1
(female)

South656 HB User
Question Inflammatory Arthritis??

So my rheumatologist says I have a type of inflammatory arthritis just not sure which one yet. He wants me to run another round of blood tests to try and narrow it down. My pain started in my feet...couldn't hardly walk or put on shoes it hurt so bad, then my foot swole up to 3 times it's size. Doc put me on plaquenil (for one year), mobic (to prevent and reduce swelling), and also levoxy for my hypothyroidism. My question is: What exactly is inflammatory arthritis? Isn't that just the general term for any arthritis? I believe I have Rheumatoid Arthritis except my RF is negative so I am not positive of what type I really do have. Anyone help me out with this one??

Thanks,
South

Old 05-19-2005, 07:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB UserLady50 HB User
Re: Inflammatory Arthritis??

South, whenever I go hypo, this arthritis in my shoulder starts killing me. They never told me what type it was, but I do know it swells up.

For some reason I started having it while on Lipitor and very hypo.

Once my thyroid levels are where they should be it doesn't hurt so bad.

I am usually on the thyroid boards.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2005, 07:55 AM   #3

froggy123 HB User

I did a search on inflammatory arthritis. Here's the jist of what I found. Basically inflammatory arthritis refers to joint conditions that involve the immune system and inflammation. In involves pain and stiffness in the morning or after sitting for a while. This is different from degenerative arthritis because in this type of arthritis the pain is usually worst at the end of the day and after activity. Rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, Reiter's syndrom, and ankylosing spondylitis are usually grouped together as inflammatory disorders. I'm sure there are more but I didn't want to look through hundreds of webpages. That's just some basic information that I got from looking at a few websites. So your belief may be correct that you have Rheumatoid Arthritis since it is grouped under inflammatory arthritis. I think there's a name for rheumatoid arthritis when you have a negative RF factor, but i forget what it's called. Also, the test could be negative if you are in remission or are in the beginnings of developing Rheumatoid arthritis.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions. I would search "inflammatory arthritis" if I were you to find out as much as you can about it so you may be able to help your doctor in an accurate diagnosis.

Good luck to you!

Old 05-19-2005, 01:01 PM   #4
(female)

CarolinNC HB User
Unhappy Re: Inflammatory Arthritis??

Hey guys, I just went to the doctor today due to chronic joint pain and I also have hypothryroidism and hashimotos. He said it was inflamation in my joint near my left side. He is also testing me for ra and lupus. I really believe it is all connected and I feel like I am going down hill more everyday. I just am recovering from having a tt of my thryoid due to a small amount of cancer. I had the radation treatment and am trying to get stablelized on my meds. Can being hypo cause you to have inflammation or is it just joint pain? Sometimes I feel like it is more than I can handle. He gave me a shot in my joint and 4 prescriptions. I am already taking 10 other kinds of meds. I think its about time I go for disability. I have already been out of work for a total of 7 mths this year due to illness. Sorry I am venting.. but I need to let it out today...

Old 05-19-2005, 01:33 PM   #5
(female)

South656 HB User

Froggy- yes I believe what I have is RA. All symptoms and signs point in that direction, so it probably is too early for my RF to be seen in blood tests and things. All of this started about 2 months ago, so it is all very new to me. But with the stiffness and pain that I have had in the last few months it's definately something serious and I want to catch it before it consumes me. Since my doc has put me on plaquenil, levoxyl and mobic...my pain has reduced dramatically. I had an ANA test done and that ran positive but my RF was negative, so I am hoping that I can get this resolved soon. I just want to know!

CarolinNC- Yes, I do believe that being hypo has something to do with the inflammation and arthritis kicking in at times. I think it really just depends on how long you have been hypo and how long it has gone untreated for it to trigger the arthritis pain. Mine seemed to be anyway.

Thanks,
South

Old 05-19-2005, 01:34 PM   #6
(female)

wavy HB User

Have your Doc. do an anti-ccp. It is more specific for Ra and will be positive before the Ra factor will.

Old 05-19-2005, 01:41 PM   #7
(female)

South656 HB User

Wavy- yes my rheumy has ordered another round of blood tests for me and that one (Anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide) is on there for them to run on me. So, maybe this time around I can get more clearer results. Thanks so much for your advice. This board and everyone's info and experiences have helped me to be much more knowledgeable on what is going on with me. I really appreciate it.

Thanks,
South

Old 05-19-2005, 03:08 PM   #8

TICKED-OFF HB User

I posted a while back and said I had "inflammatory arthritis" and I was told there was no such thing. We at least have two doctors and two people who have it.
It has something to do with the immune system. I am still learning.

Old 05-20-2005, 07:21 AM   #9

froggy123 HB User

TICKED-OFF,
There is definately such a thing as inflammatory arthritis. My assumption is that since inflammatory arthritis is an overall name for different types of arthritis that aren't considered degenerative arthritis because they cause inflammation and the pain is different. I think if someone mentioned _____ arthritis (under inflammatory arthritis) then docs may be like oh OK! Inflammatory arthritis is definately out there. I've recently been diagnosed with enthesitis (which is inflammation at the area where tendons and ligaments in your joints enter the bone). When I told my chiropracter he asked if the doctor mentioned Juvenile Ankylosing Spondylitis or Ankylosing Spondylitis (I'm at that age where he's not sure which it would be I'm almost 18). He asked about it because according to him, there's definately something going on in my lower back area/hips and that is where most of the problems are with AS. So when I go back to the rheumatologist I have to ask him about it since I have many of the symptoms of it, and get an X-ray in the meantime. So here's another person that MAY have a type of inflammatory arthritis.

Old 05-20-2005, 04:26 PM   #10

TICKED-OFF HB User

How about "Auto Inflamatory Arthirtis" or "Vaccine induced Arthritis" anyone ever hear of them?

Old 05-22-2005, 07:53 AM   #11
(female)

wavy HB User

south , have your doctor run an anti-ccp (for RA) It is more specific for Ra that the Ra factor.

Last edited by wavy; 05-22-2005 at 07:54 AM.

Closed Thread