It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2005, 09:20 AM   #1
(male)

Cheeseman HB User
Is Arthritis hereditary, & should I take cod liver oil?

My Dad has arthritis and he says that it is hereditry and I should take cod liver oil every day in case I get it too.

Will I get it to and is it worth taking cod liver oil capsules or would it just be a waste of money?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2005, 11:53 AM   #2
Inactive

kerry1 HB User
Re: Is Arthritis hereditary, & should I take cod liver oil?

Arthritis is definitely heriditary. It runs in my mother's family - she has a mild case of it, creaky knees and stiff hands, but two of her uncles had horribly crippling cases of it. You never know how it's going to manifest itself.

Cod liver oil is a good idea - make sure you get a really good brand, like Nordic Naturals Arctic Cod Liver Oil - make sure you ask around about good brands, and you can find one that doesn't smell "fishy". You have to be careful with cod liver that you don't take TOO much - you want to avoid vitamin A overdose.

I take a borage/fish/flax oil supplement that has a different kind of fish oil, since I have to take about 4000 mg per day, and that would be too much if I still took cod liver. It's a good idea for anyone to take a supplement like this. It improves your mood, your "good cholesterol" and acts as an anti-inflammatory agent for ailments like arthritis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2005, 06:15 PM   #3
(female)

The Inquirer HB User

I don't know if it's hereditary, but I think some forms must be, as the women in my family come down with rheumatoid after giving birth to their first child. I'm not having kids, so I'll never really know, though I'm now 36 and my hips tend to bother me more and more in the mornings. My grandmother was totally incapacitated by it, but my mother did well after taking gold shots for many years. She's 68 now, feels fine, and has been told that she's in remission. I don't know if RA truly goes into remission, but I can tell you that she is feeling fine. Have you ever had a SED rate done?

Be well,
Inq

Old 06-11-2005, 10:53 AM   #4
(female)

wavy HB User

cod liver oil is ok as long as you don't take really large doses. It has vit A and D which are fat soluble and so they can build up in your system and be toxic, but I think the dose suggested on the bottle is fine. If you want to take larger doses , then use fish oil instead. and yes, the fish oil will help with cholesterol and BP

Closed Thread