It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2005, 07:04 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User
Stiff morning feet

Hi, for the last few months I have stiff feet when I first get up. The stiffness is also in my hands and knees. After a half hour or so of moving and walking about, the stiffness goes away from all but my knees, but some joint pain lingers through various parts of my body.. Last year, all my tests for O and R arthritis came back negative but I was diagnosed with arthrialgia and myalgia. Could any of these conditions have anything to do with the stiffness? I was looking up osteoarthritis to see if this may be my problem, but the areas that are affected don't mention the stiffness in the feet. (knees yes, but not feet) Can anyone help explain?

Old 07-26-2005, 08:06 AM   #2
(female)

South656 HB User
Exclamation Re: Stiff morning feet

Hi Dorri-

You might want to look into seeing a rheumatologist. The stiffness in your feet could be related to many kinds of arthritis. Could be the early stages of Rheumatoid Arthritis aswell. Where is the stiffness exactly? Upper/Lower foot? Any stiffness in your ankles at all? My stiffness started in my knees and it was excruciating pain when bending them and putting on socks and shoes then my feet and ankles started stiffening up to the point where it was almost impossible to get out of bed to walk in the mornings. After a few weeks, they started to swell and become bruised so my doctor referred me to a rheumatologist...which I have been seeing for the last 4 months and have finally gotten back to a fairly normal life. Which is nice. No more, swelling, pain, and stiffness! Prednisone helps the pain tremendously and very quickly as well. But this has to be prescribed of course by your doctor or rheumatologist after examining your symptoms. And just b/c your Rheumatoid factor is negative, that does not necessarily mean that you cannot have a form of rheumatoid arthritis. I would ask your doctor about what you are experiencing and see what they have to say about it. They may want to refer you to a rheumatologist. Hope this helps....keep me posted on the details. Good Luck...

South

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2005, 06:21 PM   #3
(female)

JPope HB User
Re: Stiff morning feet

Hi Dorri,

I have started to have morning stiffness in my feet this summer.

When I get up in the morning and start down the stairs the top of my feet are very stiff; I have to take the stairs one at a time.

I also get stiff feet if I have been sitting for too long such as when driving. After walking as bit the stiffness goes away.

Were you able to find an explanation for these symptoms???

Old 08-10-2005, 09:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

No, I haven't an explanation yet, other than to tell you that my other joints are painful and stiff as well. I have the stiffness in the bottom of my feet, and the best way I can describe it, is, it feels like someone took the padding away from the bottom of my feet so I feel every single stiff bone when my foot hits the floor. Some of the stiffness goes away, but at other times it lingers even when moving, in the feet and especially in the knees, the stiffness is constant.
I bought a new, over the counter arthritis formula, and I don't know if it is coincidental, but the stiffness in my feet seemed much better where I didn't notice it. I forgot to take it for a few days and the stiffness came back, so I will take it again to see if it goes away.

Old 08-10-2005, 09:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by South656
Hi Dorri-

You might want to look into seeing a rheumatologist. The stiffness in your feet could be related to many kinds of arthritis
South
Hi South, thanks for the reply. I did visit a rheumatologist and all the tests revealed nothing. My joint pain started after being weaned of long term prednisone which I was taking for another chronic condition. I also started taking actonel at the time. The rheumy put me back on prednisone, and within a couple of days, I felt untied from the stiffness and pain I suffered from for months. The problem is, they are now trying to wean me off the last 5 mg of prednisone, and the pain and stiffness is returning. (I haven't been able to go down without pain, even when I take 4 1/2 mg) At this point, I am confused if the pain is from an arthritis which isn't showing up on tests as of yet, or from prednisone withdrawal, or from a complication of crohns disease or from the actonel I'm taking. I just don't know anymore....

Old 08-10-2005, 10:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User

Hi dorri,

I too have stiff, sore feet especially in the morning. It is like I have to walk around slowly and carefully, because the bottom of my feet hurt, when I walk on them. It is really weird - 1 month ago I did not have the pain in my feet. I always have stiffness and pain in my wrists, knuckles, knees and shoulders. It moves around. I have been diagnosed with arthritis. Do not know if it rheumatoid or osteo.

Why does your dr. want to take you off prednisone? I though most people that were on that, were on it forever?! I am only taking Skelaxin (muscle relaxer) and tramadol (low pain pill). It help a little, as does moving around in the am.

Hope you feel better soon. Take care. Wannabe

Old 08-11-2005, 12:27 PM   #7
(female)

South656 HB User

Hi Dorri-

Yeah, prednisone can be a life saver when pain comes around but it can also have a serious effect on your bones and other vital organs if used for a long period of time. I am currently on prednisone as well. I've actually been on it for about 2 1/2 months straight now. When I had serious inflammation in my feet in the past, I took the prednisone (2 tabs a day) to help it and it worked remarkably! And after the swelling went down, my doc tried taking me off of it and the swelling returned with a vengence! So, he put me back on it until we found something that worked well for me to prevent the constant RA flares. I am currently taking sulfasalazine (anti-inflammatory drug) which has worked very well for me so far. I have tried many different types of immunosuppressants, anti-inflammatories, and NSAID's and the sulfa is the only one that has prevented anything. I am slowly weining off the prednisone though. I went from 2 pills a day to 1, and now I am down to half a pill a day. So, hopefully when I go back for my next appt I can stop the prednisone completely without any further problems. My rheumy did prescribe me some calcium/vitamin D tabs to take with it just to make sure my joints and bones will remain strong while I am on the prednisone. It takes a toll on you.

Dorri, did your rhuematologist do some blood work on you? If so, what were the results? If you are in the early stages of developing rheumatoid arthritis or any type of arthritis for that matter, it may not show up on your lab tests. My RA factor was negative, yet some other things were positive that were not supposed to be and I have developed a form of RA.

Though everyone has different pains, since you mentioned the pain was mostly on the bottom part of your foot...it may be something different.

Hope all is well!

South

Old 08-11-2005, 01:27 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

South, thanks and yes, I went through blood tests more than once, and each time they came back negative. I was tested for RA, OA, AS, lupus, and more...all coming back within normal range. The rheumy said my pain was from a sleeping adrenal gland from being weaned off long term prednisone too quickly. He said it may be permanently asleep, in which case I would require the prednisone on a continual basis. What the doctor is trying to determine, is to see if I can get off of it without developing the same symptoms. I am presently on 5 mg, but I feel I need more to control my symptoms. I have to question whether my pain is from this or from an arthritic condition?
I also read a pamplet by the Canadian Arthritis Foundation, saying that RA may not always show up in blood work at first, and may require regular testing over time to pick up on it. Last year as I was going through severe pain, I asked how could anything that hurt so bad not show up??? The next time I go for bloodwork, I'll have to ask my doctor to run another RA test.

Old 08-11-2005, 10:37 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I mentioned a new product I was trying and said it may be coincidental but the stiffness in my feet seemed to feel better. The product I am trying is celadrin. I just read on one site that it works fast with some relief within 30 minutes and continued improvement over the next 10 days. Apparently it has a cumulative effect. It is recommended to take the capsules orally and the cream together to get even better relief. I still feel the knee pain and stiffness at this time, but my feet do seem to be better. Celadrin has been shown to help other inflammatory conditions such as fibromyalgia, lupus, gout etc....sounds good, so I am hopeful that it will help even more with time.

Old 10-20-2005, 11:03 AM   #10
(male)

twk300zx HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPope
Hi Dorri,

I have started to have morning stiffness in my feet this summer.

When I get up in the morning and start down the stairs the top of my feet are very stiff; I have to take the stairs one at a time.

I also get stiff feet if I have been sitting for too long such as when driving. After walking as bit the stiffness goes away.

Were you able to find an explanation for these symptoms???
I have the EXACT same symptoms! Have you been able to determine cause and remedy yet?

Old 10-20-2005, 02:26 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi I don't know the cause, but I started taking celadrin and I no longer have a problem with stiff feet in the morning. I don't know if this is coincidental or if the celadrin helped. I still have joint pain in other areas such as knees, shoulders and elbows, and I think the celadrin helps somewhat with the pain.

Old 10-21-2005, 05:45 AM   #12
(female)

kar1865 HB User

hi i too have stiff morniing feet, it hurts i have to shuffle along it can last from a hour to all day! my hands are the same its not good i an seeing rhumatoligist 7 nov my feet really burn tooooo!! pain gets worse when i walk on cold kitchen floor.

Old 10-21-2005, 07:54 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Let us know how you make out at the rheumatologist?

Old 10-21-2005, 09:27 AM   #14
(female)

Chi-Town HB User

Hi Dorrie! I can sympathize! I have osteoarthritis in both feet and ankles and
in the mornings my feet/ankles hurt so much and are so stiff that I have to use a walker to get to the bathroom. After this initial walk in the morning,
however, I don't need the walker and am able to get dressed, go to work, etc. I'm only 49 but my job requires me to be on my feet 12-14 hours a day
and I guess my foot/ankle joints are just wearing out. I was first diagnosed
with OA in my fight foot when I was only 27. Do you have a job/vocation and
or hobby that requires you to be on your feet for long periods of time?
I've been taking Mobic for the pain and it has been a miracle drug for me.
I also do a number of different stretches/exercises targeted for my feet and ankles to keep them limber and to stregthen the surrounding tendons and ligaments. This helps tremendously with the pain/stiffness also.
Hope this helps.
Chi-Town

Old 10-21-2005, 04:24 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Chi-Town thanks. I can relate to this uncomfortable condition. I should do the stretching exercises as well. Glad to hear that Mobic is helping to manage your pain..

Closed Thread