It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2005, 07:19 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

sonic HB User
Bone density related to arthritis?

Is there any relation to low bone density & arthritis?

I think i need to get tested (density) I have arthritis in my foot..but now am having more pain in my elbow & knee.

Im wondering if taking Calcium is helpful,,or is there nothing that can be done to prevent arthritis?

Old 09-05-2005, 04:41 AM   #2
(female)

Jovach51 HB User
Re: Bone density related to arthritis?

A bone density test is for finding out if you are at risk for developing osteoporosis. X-rays, CT scans and MRI are used to find out if you have osteoarthritis or damage from rheumatoid arthritis.

I can't say that you will develop arthritis. I have osteopenia in the hip, which is the beginning of osteoporosis and I also have osteoarthritis in my knees and lower back. I take Fosamax 70mg per week, along with Calcium 1200-1500mg and Vita D 400 IU daily.

The best thing to do would be to see your doctor or rheumatologist. There are different medications that you can take for pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2005, 03:35 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sonic HB User

Thanks jovach,,,I was wondering what meds help you with pain?
I have tried Toradol & Aleve,,they just seem to upset my stomach & not help the pain.
I was on celabrix but heard it was banned? does that sound right?
sorry you have to live with this pain in the a$$ we call arthritis.

Old 09-05-2005, 06:05 PM   #4
(female)

Jovach51 HB User

Sonic,

If I can't stand the pain, I take 1 tramadol in the afternoon and 1 at bedtime. It helps most of the time. I use to be on celebrex until it stopped working for me. I tried mobic which did nothing. Right now I am on prednisone for inflammed joints, but once I finish tapering down, my rheumy wants me to take celebrex 200mg once again to see if it will work again. Celebrex has not been banned, but does have what they call a "black box warning". I only take celebrex when needed for about 5-7 days at a time.

If aleve and tramadol bother your stomach you can try OTC Prilosec or speak to your doctor about a prescription proton-pump-inhibitor.

Take care

Old 10-03-2005, 08:25 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

sonic HB User

Well,,,my x-rays & bone density was normal. I am thinking this may be Tennis Elbow? I dont know what else it could be?,,its been sore for almost 3 months,,(unless all arthritis doesnt show up on x-ray)?

My dr. gave me celebrix..but it really hasnt helped. is there any way to test for tennis elbow?

Closed Thread