It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2005, 03:48 AM   #1
Inactive

off kilter HB User
Plaquenil side effects?

Has anyone run into the neurological side effects?

Old 11-07-2005, 08:15 PM   #2
(female)

BostonMA HB User
Re: Plaquenil side effects?

Hi

Just wanted to let you know that I have been on plaquenil for over 10 years now....and I have had NO side effects whatsoever...(knock on wood). Hope you aren't having any....good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2005, 07:17 AM   #3
(female)

rennah77 HB User

Hi,

I have beenon Plaquenil for a little over 2 years with no side effects whatsoever. Just make sure you get your eye exams every 6 months.

Old 11-08-2005, 10:53 AM   #4

TICKED-OFF HB User

I have been on Plaquenil (non-generic) for 6 months. My fingers are crossed.

I do have a couple of questions, what exactly is Plaquenil supposed to do? and what side effects (besides the eyes) do I need to look out for?

Old 11-08-2005, 03:28 PM   #5
(female)

serendipity02 HB User

Plaquenil is an anti malaria drug, useful for arthritis and lupus symptons. I've been taking it for about 2 years and have had no side effects either. The doctor recently took me off of it in order to join a clinical reasearch trial.

Old 11-15-2005, 12:09 PM   #6
(female)

South656 HB User

I was on Plaquenil for about 2 weeks when I was first diagnosed with Inflammatory Arthritis. After about a week and a half, I developed a terrible rash due to it and had to stop immediately. Had the same reaction with Imuran and now I am on Sufasalazine and it works wonders! Good Luck!

~South

Old 07-05-2010, 12:42 PM   #7
(female)

angelic831 HB User

Hi, I have been on generic plaquenil for over two years. Sine I have been on it I have become very anxious. I feels like my head is in a bubble all the time. Dizziness, lightheaded, agitated, really bad headaches not to mention the itching. Did not have these symptoms before! Doctors told me I was having anxiety attacks, panic. I can't stand this. Went to a neurologist in April he said I had migraines and anxiety / depression. Is it related to plaquenil he did not give me a straight answer on that one. My PCP gave me a prescription for the non generic plaquenil. But Of course my insurance won't cover it, I have to pay out of pocket. 30 pills $60, 60 pills over $100. WOW!! Because I am taking generic I have to wait till that script runs out. I am going t buy it and see what happens. I truly believe in my soul that the generic plaquenil is causing these neurological problems. My PCP is the only dr who really seems to be listening. The rheumy is a joke he keeps tellng me that plaquenil does great for most people, I am not most people. See if you can try the non generic. The neurologist only wanted to give me scripts for migraines and give me Zoloft. I will not take Zoloft.

Hope this helps, Take Care!

Old 07-05-2010, 04:56 PM   #8
(male)

bien HB User

I had great sensitivity to light.

I had to wear sunglasses in the office with the lights off and the computer screen was almost more than I could stand to view. Driving in the daylight was next to impossible.

It helped the aches but the light thing rendered it useless for me.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

I was on Plaquenil for 6 years with almost no side effects. However, after going off for about 2 years while they investigated the cause of eye problems(not Plaquenil) I had a lot of side effects when I re-started, including eye problems and had to stop the drug. So it can cause different things at different times to different people.

According to The Johns Hopkin's Home Guide to Pills and Medicines, there are no "Common" side effects to Plaquenil. But under "Uncommon" the list involves:

diarrhea, loss of appetite, headache, stomach cramps or pain, nausea or vomiting, itching, dizziness, fatigue, confusion, loss or bleaching of hair, skin rash, blue/black discoloration of the skin and inside the mouth.

I know I lost about half of my hair. But it all grew back when I stopped the drug.

Your anxiety may be a product of the natural depression and anxiety that accompanies chronic pain and illness. That plus the side effects that can accompany Plaquenil make all of us anxious. I know I have sought treatment for the emotional problems that accompany chronic illness and pain and am still in it.....it has become my lifeline that lets me not dump it on my family. Just yesterday my husband was saying how much better I am coping with my pain and illness with the new therapist I started seeing a year ago. Apparently I'm much nicer to be around. Like it or not, being sick all the time and having to take these potent meds changes you. Maybe it's time to seek some help for yourself and all you have to cope with.

I'm now on Orencia....an IV you get every 4 weeks. It's a biologic. One of it's side effects is cancer....both lymphoma and lung cancer. It's small....maybe .03% but it still makes you anxious.

I understand and cannot recommend enough seeing a therapist who specializes in people with chronic illness. It can be a life saver.

hugs............Jenny

Old 07-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #10
(female)

angelic831 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybyc View Post
I was on Plaquenil for 6 years with almost no side effects. However, after going off for about 2 years while they investigated the cause of eye problems(not Plaquenil) I had a lot of side effects when I re-started, including eye problems and had to stop the drug. So it can cause different things at different times to different people.

According to The Johns Hopkin's Home Guide to Pills and Medicines, there are no "Common" side effects to Plaquenil. But under "Uncommon" the list involves:

diarrhea, loss of appetite, headache, stomach cramps or pain, nausea or vomiting, itching, dizziness, fatigue, confusion, loss or bleaching of hair, skin rash, blue/black discoloration of the skin and inside the mouth.

I know I lost about half of my hair. But it all grew back when I stopped the drug.

Your anxiety may be a product of the natural depression and anxiety that accompanies chronic pain and illness. That plus the side effects that can accompany Plaquenil make all of us anxious. I know I have sought treatment for the emotional problems that accompany chronic illness and pain and am still in it.....it has become my lifeline that lets me not dump it on my family. Just yesterday my husband was saying how much better I am coping with my pain and illness with the new therapist I started seeing a year ago. Apparently I'm much nicer to be around. Like it or not, being sick all the time and having to take these potent meds changes you. Maybe it's time to seek some help for yourself and all you have to cope with.

I'm now on Orencia....an IV you get every 4 weeks. It's a biologic. One of it's side effects is cancer....both lymphoma and lung cancer. It's small....maybe .03% but it still makes you anxious.

I understand and cannot recommend enough seeing a therapist who specializes in people with chronic illness. It can be a life saver.

hugs............Jenny
Hi, Thank you so much for your response. God bless and I hope you start to feel better with Orencia!

I was put on 5mg of prednisone on May 5th and will take my last pill on Friday for a flare. I went off generic plaquenil april 30 and the rhuemy put me back on 3 weeks a go. The itching is back. I have to wait til the 11th of July before they fill the new script for the real plaquenil. Because I am not in pain but my bloodwork numbers are high. I need to be on something so lupus won't progress. My doctor says my symptoms don't warrant me to be on something stronger and I don't want to be on anything stronger. My biggest symptoms are being really fatigued and the dizziness which started in Feb 10.

I started seeing a therapist in April for the anxiety. She taught me some ways to relax. The first year I took plaquenil I had no problems 2008. Then the dizziness and panic started in Feb 10.

I will try the real plaquenil and tell you if the anxiety and dizziness subsides.

Take Care and God Bless!

Old 07-18-2010, 12:12 PM   #11
(female)

sharpmama HB User

I have been on plaquenil for about 8 months with NO problem at all. I have not been diagnosed with lupus or RA, but because some of the lupus-related blood tests results are high and my osteo arthritis is quite severe and according to my rheumatologist, is both inflammatory and erosive, he put me on plaquenil.

I was a bit nervous at first. But after talking to my girlfriend (who has Sjogren's and takes plaquenil), I thought I would give it a try. In addition, when I went for my first required eye exam, the eye doctor, whose wife has RA, said that he thinks plaquenil has worked for her better than anything so far.

So... while I'm not sure it's helping me, it certainly has not seemed to cause any side effects.

A prior reply made the comment about how this group of diseases (connective tissue/autoimmune, etc) frequently have fatigue and often, depression as common symptoms. It may well be that, rather than drug side effects, that you are experiencing.

As always, treatment side effects vs progression of a serious disease can be a devilish thing to deal with. And with most treatments, individuals don't always respond identically.

In my mind, it's always worth talking to your doctor.

Closed Thread