It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2005, 10:24 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User
Unhappy Does cold weather make your arthritis worse?

Hi Anyone/Everyone,

I am sitting here, being cold. My husband keeps the heater at 68 - 70 degrees. I have socks on and a jacket, but my toes are still cold!

Does cold weather and being cold make yalls arthritis worse (pain and stiffness wise)? Also, it seems like my circulation is worse, since this cold front came in!

Any advice, stories, treatments or medicines, that any of you guys can offer, would be greatly appreciated. I do go to my Rheumatologist on Fri., so if you have anything that I could say or ask for, let me know. I cannot take any anti-inflammatories. I have a bad stomach. I am now on Tramadol and Skelaxin, with up to 4 reg. strength tylenol added when needed.

Thanks in advance, for any help that anyone can offer.

Wannabe

Old 11-17-2005, 05:10 AM   #2
(female)

driftyfluff HB User
Re: Does cold weather make your arthritis worse?

Hello I am new here and read your post - I see you wrote it a while back and hope you have found some relief to the cold. I find cold makes my pain worse but the damp weather is a real killer as it really makes the pain levels increase. i have osteoarthritis in my shoulder and it affects all of me from my neck to my hips. The cold is horrible and I have the heating way up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2005, 06:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Heat seems to help Osteo alot better than cold does. Also changes in weather affects it.

My wife can't take NSIDs because of stomach problems but takes Salsalate and it seems to work OK-- not Great ~~~

I wish you well---Harry

Old 11-17-2005, 09:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks DriftyFluff and Harry,

I appreciate the info, my toes are still cold, but my husband is gone for the morning and I have the heat up to 72. Fixing to take a nice hot shower. I also, use a heating pad on my lower and mid back and a "rice sock" on my shoulders, neck and hands. These all help a little. Just hoping for a miracle cure, I guess!

I do not even know if I have osteo or RA, but am going to ask my Rheumy tomorrow! I think that the only difference it would make to me, would be in the type of meds she might give me.

Thanks again. If anyone else has any help or info, come and talk, I would appreciate it.

Wannabe

Old 11-17-2005, 01:19 PM   #5
(female)

catsblueeyes1 HB User

Hi there, Hope your feeling better! I have RA and it's pretty severe for me the weather
doesn't effect me as much as some. I think if you have osteo the weather will certainly
effect your pain level alot more that what I have. Although today has been a bad flare up day and the Temp is 21 degrees it could be a coincidence but I still hurt. I hope you find your answers when you see your Doc. Have a Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!

Old 11-17-2005, 10:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi catsblueeyes,

Thanks for your reply. I hope your feel better too! What kind of medicine to you take for RA? Is it bad for your stomach? Just looking for something else to help me feel better. I have been on my current meds for 1 year. Maybe she will change my meds, if there is anything else I can take.

Thanks again.

Wannabe

Old 11-18-2005, 06:22 AM   #7
(female)

catsblueeyes1 HB User

Hi,
I take Humeria injections weekly with methotrexate (8 pills /week) I was taking Mobic
which did help but really upset my stomach, I can't take any non steriodal antiinflammatories because of my stomach so I take pain medication when needed.
I wish I could say that these medications are the "cure all" because they are not.
Some days are better than others. My best advice is to do everything possible
which includes not only medication for pain but water therapy, massage, healthy diet
but I also say that when it is time for pain management then talk to your doctor and make sure that he/she knows whats happening, I had the habit of thinking I was tough enough to deal with pain without complaining but it was the wrong thing to do.
There are medications to take that at least we can have a quailty of life and we should have a quailty of life! I hope that you get your answers and fell better soon!!
Debbie

Old 12-18-2005, 01:43 PM   #8
(female)

dango HB User

Hey there! I have quite severe spinal arthritis, as well as in my hips, knees, feet, shoulders, elbows, wrists/hands (and I used to be a piano player and guitarist from ager 8 to 41!). The COLD WEATHER and CHANGES in BAROMETRIC PRESSURE are a B@tch! I on all kinds of meds (MSContin, morphine, Lyrica, Topomax, Skelaxin) and NONE of them help at these times. The other FUNKY thing is I could have the heat on 75--but if it's the first day of 30 degree (or lower) weather, I will be one hurtin' puppy! I have this heating pad type thing that straps into my computer chair, covers the entire back and seat of the chair. I put that on. It vibrates too--for a massage--which hurts at first but then feels really good! I hop on the computer, do whatever I can think of doing, covered up by my favorite blanket, and with my big red fuzzy socks, and my fluffy sweat pants and sweat shirt! Somedays it's the best I can do.

Old 12-18-2005, 05:26 PM   #9
(female)

catsblueeyes1 HB User

Happy Holidays,

I know exactly how you feel, my RA is severe and some days are better than others.
Unless you experience this type of constant pain it is very difficult for others to understand. I do find if I wait to long to take something for pain then the medication does not work, I was trying to avoid pain meds but sometimes we have to give into
the pain and get some relief. I do find that warm water and massage does help but it doesn't last and the winters and humidity really contribute to the inflammation and pain. Thank goodness for this board, it helps to talk with others who are having the same difficulties and can share them with wonderful responses. The pain management
site on this board is also very helpful too. I can relate to the fluffy sweat pants and slippers, I have the same outfit!! I wish you all a wonderful Holiday with as much pain relief as possible.

Debbie

Old 12-18-2005, 10:32 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi All,

I really appreciate yall coming and talking and telling what you take (meds) and how you feel and what you symptoms are. Do you guys have circulation problems? I seem to have a little numbness on certain spots of my body. Mainly my feet, ankles and lower legs. A little in my hip area.

I also find, that if I miss taking one of my meds, my pain is worse and I cannot seem to catch up (with the med/pain) all day long!!! :< I now have RA (but very low sed rate - 20) and my doctor gave me a couple of new meds, to add to the 2 I already take for arthritis. I am taking Skelaxin 4xday, tramadol 4xday, prenidsone, 1xday (because of my stomach, we are taking it easy), and nabumetone 1xday. The addition of the pred and nabumetone have made the swelling in my hands and wrists go down, but that is about it. I still hurt! I guess that I will talk to her (my rheumatologist) when I go back in Feb. and see what she suggests!

I love sweat pants too. But do not have the nice slippers!!!

When you get Humera shots, do you give them to yourself or do you have to go and have the nurse give them to you? I do not think my meager Insurance would pay for it, if I had to go to the dr. office every week! They are really picky and I have a $5,000. deductible. But it does pay for some of my medicines!

Take care and lets just all bundle up with out heat producing helpers!!! It does help me some, but does not make it all go away!

Wannabe

Old 12-18-2005, 11:09 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi again,

I have a couple more questions or answers?! Do you pop or crack in the joints or places that hurt, swell, or where you have RA or Osteo? I do. Sometimes just when I am regularly moving about. But, a lot when I am doing my stretching exercises. These are about the only exercises I seem to be able to make my do!

Have either of yall tried Yoga? My rheumatologist wants me to try that along with walking. I am overweight and loosing some weight would most likely help my illnesses.

Thanks again.

Wannabe

Old 12-19-2005, 09:10 PM   #12
(female)

catsblueeyes1 HB User

Hi,
I was just at my Rheum office last wek and she told me that a new medication will be available in Jan. For the life of me I forgot the name but it is given once a month with terrific efficacy and has little side effects. On my next visit we are going to decide whether I should switch from the Humeria to this new med. With regard to your insurance please call the customer support service at Abbott Labs in North Chicago
they are a wonderful company when it comes to patients having trouble paying for their drugs, they will help you any way that they can. They are the makers of Humeria.
I also have swelling on and off with severe pain. My hands and feet are really bad at times along with swelling and reddness. I also have degenerate disk disease all along my spine. when I talk to my doctor I will ge the name of this new med for RA and post it. I wish you all a very Happy and pain free Holiday season!!!!!
Debbie

Old 12-19-2005, 09:13 PM   #13
(female)

catsblueeyes1 HB User

oops I also forgot to answer another one of your questions: I am a chicken and can not give the shots to myself so my husband does it. If he is out of town then I bring it to the doc's office and her nurse will administer it for me. Take care
Debbie

Old 12-19-2005, 10:03 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for the info. I will check into both, before I go back to my rheumy. Any little improvement in swelling, stiffness, and pain relief, would be good!

You have a good Holiday too! I intend to stay warm cause that always makes me feel a little better!

Wannabe

Closed Thread