It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2005, 08:52 AM   #1
(female)

bijou11 HB User
Am I too young to have arthritis?

I'm not sure what is wrong with my hands, but I am 22 years old and for the past couple of years I've been having pain in my knuckles-only on a couple of fingers. It started with my middle finger on my right hand, then a few months later it started in on my index finger on my left hand too. It's the worst first thing when I wake up in the morning. It doesn't feel like the actual joint is swollen but it's more like there's a big bubble of air around my knuckle that's causing the skin around the knuckle to swell. It sometimes gets to the point where I can not bend my fingers to do normal everyday things like tie my shoes. It's too painful.

A friend of mine told me it may be carpal tunnel syndrome, because I knit a lot and use my hands for all kinds of crafts. But I've noticed that the amount of knitting I do does not worsen the condition at all. The only time my hands even hurt at all is during the winter time. The rest of the year they are fine. I have very poor blood circulation, and when it's cold outside, my hands are constantly frozen. This seems to make it even worse and causes my fingers to swell more.

I've also noticed that one of my ankles has been stiff since it turned colder and it hurts to walk sometimes and it's especially tight first thing in the morning.

I am planning to go to a doctor sometime within the next month or two (I don't have insurance right at the moment and I'm in the process of moving as well). I'm curious as to what kinds of treatments are given for arthritis as well, because I really do not like the idea of taking a bunch of different medications. Are there any natural treatments that would help the condition? Has anyone received accupuncture or other kinds of non-medication treatments for their arthritis? I really want to know as much as possible.

I'm just concerned because I always think of arthritis as being something that older people get as a part of the aging process. I'm sure there are plenty of young people who get arthritis, but are my symptoms indicative of arthritis or is it something else? Has anyone else experienced this? Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by bijou11; 12-18-2005 at 09:04 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2005, 08:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
Re: Am I too young to have arthritis?

Sounds like osteoarthritis to me, now I've had carpal tunnel and ulnar nerve damage in both hands so I can tell you that it really sounds like arthritis. Especially since you seem to be able to locate the joint pain. Babies can be born with arthritis so young is never too young. I was diagnosed in my late 20's with it in my neck and it is slowly creeping to all the joints in the last 30yrs. I'd see your GP first. There is alot out there for arthritis, I don't take much or very often if I can help it. I excersise at least 4 times a week and eat as right as I can. I put my hands in parafin alot as heat feels good. My arthritis bothers me the most during the winter as well, probably does for most people. do you have fevers, achiness and fatigue?? If so Rheumatoid arthritis is a possibility.

Old 12-19-2005, 08:51 AM   #3
(female)

bijou11 HB User

I haven't had any fevers or fatigue or achiness (aside from my fingers, of course). I've found that after I take a hot shower the pain goes away or at least isn't as severe. Like I said my hands only hurt during the winter. I might try the parafin idea, it sounds good. Thanks for the info.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
(male)

bigjse HB User

bijou11, i have exactly the same finger symptoms just how u described, did you see the doctor, i want to know what it is and any treatment. Thanks..

Closed Thread