It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2006, 04:07 AM   #1
(female)

elphers HB User
How long for Celebrex to work?

I have been on Celebrex for a week now and am not getting much relief.(I take it around 9 am to get through the work day since I am on my feet all day.) My foot is still killing me! I called my orthopedist yesterday to see if I can take 200mg twice a day instead of once. (My friend with RA takes it twice). But the nurse there said NO! She said to give it more time to work, and just add tylenol! By the time evening comes, I can barely walk and it's hard to sleep in pain! I wish someone would refer me to a rheumatologist! I know my RA factor was negative at my hemo, but so was my friends 3 times until her rheumie took the Anti CCP test! And she does have RA! Does anyone know how much longer it will take for the Celebrex to have some effect? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2006, 07:23 AM   #2
(female)

texasbart HB User
Re: How long for Celebrex to work?

I have taken Celebrex for years. Don't expect too much out of it. It does nothing for my pain but does help with stiffness. Do not double up the dosage. My doctor cut me back when all the news of Vioxx and heart attacks came out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2006, 06:36 AM   #3
(female)

Jovach51 HB User

I took Celebrex for a while and it stopped working for me, even with taking tylenol with it. You may need to change to a different prescription NSAID such as Mobic or Arthrotec.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Old 02-24-2006, 03:01 PM   #4
(female)

Kelen HB User

For some people it'll work, for other it won't.

When I was on it they wanted me to remain on it for two weeks to see if it worked because it can take time and if they rushed me to another prescription before fully giving Celebrex a chance, they'd never know if it could've helped. This was at a time I couldn't walk or move so having to wait felt ridiculous, as I'd already waited two weeks with another prescription. To this day, I'm not convinced my inflammation went down because I was on Celebrex, as it's never seemed to help any other time I have taken it. I'd suggest after two weeks or there abouts without much relief, possibly try something else.

Old 02-25-2006, 04:46 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

I had no sucess with Celebrex but have had great success with Mobic.
I would give it about 4 weeks tops, if you get no relief then ask for a switch in medications. Be very very careful with the tylenol, it is all too simple to take too much and cause permanent liver damage from overdosage!
Anti-imflamatories are that, they reduce inflamation, if your pain is not caused by swelling but by bone spurs or bone on bone contact they will not do much for you.

Closed Thread