It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arthritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2006, 11:07 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User
Do your arms just ache and ache sometimes?

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to ask all of yall, if sometimes, when it seems you are sort of in a lull - no flares at the moment, just normal RA or OA. Do your arms or legs just ache while you are sitting there? Not necessarily the joints. The whole arm, but on me at the moment, my left arm, the lower part.

Also, sometimes my whole legs hurt/ache sometimes, too. Just not at the moment. But, usually it is the upper part of my legs.

Please let me know if anyone has this symptom also. And if so, what do you do or take for it???

Thanks, in advance for any advice, stories or help you can give me.

Wannabe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2006, 12:16 PM   #2
(female)

choctaw_n_ok HB User
Re: Do your arms just ache and ache sometimes?

Not only do my joints hurt/ache ( especially my hands ) and its hard to clinch a fist when I first wake up , but my arms , wrists calves ache like muscle sore...really strange...like Ive been lifting or jogging kind of sore...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2006, 11:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Choctaw,

I do wish there was an instant pill (one that works as soon as you swallow it!), that would make it go away fast!!!!!:> It is really weird sometimes, too. It is a lot of the time, not my right arm, hand, wrist, leg, which is my dominate side. It is my left side at the moment. But, that can change, just like that! And then, both can hurt, ache and make you feel like doing nothing but getting buddies with the heating pad!!!

Thanks for the reply, choctaw!

Take care.

Wannabe

Old 03-15-2006, 05:04 PM   #4
(female)

countrygal HB User

I also have problems, my arms just some of the time. But the L leg (mainly lower outer bone) but occasionally the whole leg. It hurts and feels like the bone is frozen and aches so bad. Sometimes it feels like a burning cold. I know that sounds strange, but true! I have had this problem for a few years now and still dont know why. I have found that if i soak in the tub or wear a tube sock or electric blanket, i can find some relief. If you find any info let us know.

Old 03-15-2006, 11:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi countrygal,

Thanks for the advice and story. I am cold, almost all the time! Do any of yall have a sort of restlessness in your legs? I get it almost every evening. I am taking Requip, which is a new drug, and it does work. It works when I take it. But, my legs jiggling and jumpin about 6 pm. And I am not supposed to take my requip til 1 - 3 hours befoe bed.

Thanks again,

Wannabe

Old 03-17-2006, 09:04 PM   #6
(female)

countrygal HB User

I get restless legs but no jiggling and jumping. I like to describe it as" when I was a little girl and my mother would make me sit real still so she could cut my hair" kinda feelin....lol Just gotta move them legs. Sorry i couldnt have been more help.

Old 03-18-2006, 01:26 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Countrygal,

What you said on the 18th, is just what I mean. It is like my legs are nervous!!! They want to jiggle and jump and they just drive me crazy sometimes. Starts around 5 pm everyday (did not use to do this 1 mo. ago) and sort of comes and goes and then gets worse til my requip takes over. I usually make my legs go jiggle and jump and stomp my legs and such, to try to make the feeling go away!!! Sort of hard to explain.

When I go to my regular doctor (family) I will ask him, as he is the one that gave me the new med. And then, in about 1 mo. when I go back to my rheumatologist, I will also discuss this with her. I really do not want to do this forever.

Real shaking, jiggling and jumping of arms and legs and such, is a symptom of parkinsons (or an effect). My dad has that and they are tremors. He just barely has them, so far, and does not do it all the time!

Thanks for the info.

Wannabe

Last edited by WannaBeFreeToRoam; 03-18-2006 at 01:27 PM. Reason: added something

Old 03-19-2006, 11:59 PM   #8
(female)

ginlyn HB User

Hi
I have RA and OA, yes I do have problems with my arms and legs usually my right calf muscle achs at times after I had a bakers cyst rupture my right calf muscle has not been the same since. My arms also and not just the joints, but be careful what you tell your Rhuemy. I told mine I was having trouble with my muscles after overdoing it. I have a bad time with family members that don't want to hear when I say that I can't take care of my Grandson everyday like they think I should, so I had a bad time with family a couple of months ago after whereing myself out , and of course if you are more stressed and hurting more and it is muscle and joints. My Rhuemy decided I also have fibro even though I do not have the 11 to 18 tender points, I don't have trouble sleeping, or anything else but at times muscles do tend to hurt with RA and or OA. That does not mean there is not such thing as fibro. But now I can't get my Rhuemy to listen to what I am saying.
I am having a hard time trusting what I can tell Rhuemy or not tell her so she doesn't jump to other conclusions of what is and isn't there.
Ginlyn

Old 03-20-2006, 12:58 AM   #9
(female)

choctaw_n_ok HB User

Hey Ginlyn ! ....Im new here on this board and dont know if I have arthritis or not ( hands and hip) but I do have DDD in my neck plus a c5-c6 fusion and bone graft...ANYWAYS...my hand have been killing me the past few months and my muscles hurt like Ive been lifting weights and my calves feel like I jog ..meaning my muscles are sore and my muscles all over I.E.chest , back ..wherever ..are sore to touch.....my question is from reading your post, u said that you doc said you had fibro cause your muscles are sore ?....Do sore muscles have anything to do with arthritis or fibro ? ( like I said, Im new here and have not seen a doc about my hands or muscles) ...my hands hurt like first thing in AM. I cant make a fist cause theyre dead BUT they hurt...really weird ..after a while they are awake but my hands are so weak now and Im only 42...really weird !!

sorry for rambling !

deana

Old 03-20-2006, 10:58 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Ginlyn and Choctaw,

Choctaw, I know you addressed this question to Ginlyn, but... I think that you need to go to a rheumatologist. They are the experts on arthritis. You really need to have some tests done and be looked at and felt of (your muscles and joints). That is one of the ways, that you are diagnosed. And swelling of your joints from inflammation.

Do your knuckles swell? Mine do, just about all the time, just sometimes more and sometimes less. A Rheumatologist will probably give you some medicines to make you feel better and maybe make the swelling go down.

Ginlyn, I did not know that you could have RA and OA at the same time. I just thought it was one or the other! Did you Rheumy give you anything for Fibro? I was told by my family dr. that he thought I had Fibro, about 2 yrs. ago. He referred me to the rheumatologist. She is a good one and gives me meds, just not enuf! The swelling and pain and tiredness is still there.

She said that she would not even consider Fibro, unless I did a sleep study, which cost a bit of money! Well, now 2 yrs. later, I am having a hard time sleeping. But, it is just that I cannot go to sleep or cannot stay asleep. We are working on that also.

I hope yall both fell better in the future. Arthritis and Fibro and such muscle, joint diseases are not fun at all!!!!!

Take care.

Wannabe

Old 03-21-2006, 11:00 AM   #11
(female)

choctaw_n_ok HB User

Thanx Roam ! .....I really do need to see a doc on this. Im already seeing a PM doc for my neck ...........feel like Im falling apart and I havent been THAT mean to my body these past 42 years !

deana

Old 03-26-2006, 01:05 PM   #12
(female)

ginlyn HB User

to Wannabe and Choctaw n OK
When I said "My Rhuemy decided I also have fibro even though I do not have the 11 to 18 tender points, I don't have trouble sleeping, or anything else but at times muscles do tend to hurt with RA and or OA. That does not mean there is not such thing as fibro. But now I can't get my Rhuemy to listen to what I am saying.
I am having a hard time trusting what I can tell Rhuemy or not tell her so she doesn't jump to other conclusions of what is and isn't there." I basically was saying that with some Docs you have to be careful what you tell them. I am in the middle of looking for a new Rheumy because this one does not listen to what I say when I told her I was having muscles achs in my arms and my right calf. She automatically decided that I have fibro not listen what I was telling her. You can have muscle aches in OA or RA. Anyhow I don't take anything for Fibro because I don't have it or the Criteria. But some Rheumy's don't listen to their patients and it is very hard to be treated correctly if they don't care to hear you which is why I advised all to be careful of what you tell your Doc if they don't listen to you. Then you are with the Wrong doc and I suggest you find someone you can trust who will hear what you say not what they surmize. There are times you have to be your own advocate for your own health. Not all Docs listen to their patients symptoms without jumping to there own diagnosis. Also Choctaw you can have RA and OA or RA and Lupus at the same time not just one or the other. I hope I don't sound rude but a lot of people I know have had these problems with their Rheumy Docs, Just want others to watch out for themselves because one else will do it for you.
Ginlyn

Old 03-26-2006, 11:28 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Choctaw,

I also feel like I am falling apart! Well, for one thing, I am 55 yrs. old and for another, I have several other illnessess!

Plus, I did not treat my body very nicely over the last 20 years or so! So, mine is probably getting back at me. :>

Hi Ginlyn,

I guess that I am just very lucky, in that my family dr. referred me to this Rheumy and she is really good. Very matter of fact, but she listens and looks to/at me. I also take a list of questions every time I go to any doctor.

Take care and I hope yall feel better. I know that I am trying. Will try to go to sleep in 30 minutes!

Wannabe

Old 04-21-2006, 10:54 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi msbsgblue,

Thanks for the information. So far, my family dr., just has me cutting my requip in half - which is very hard to do. I take 1/2 at 1 or 2 or 3 pm and the other half 1 - 3 hours before I go to sleep. But, it is getting to where I need a 3rd - 1/2 pill. Like to take in the am. My legs just seem to get nervous/restless all the time, unless I have taken a requip.

I will look for that over the counter drug/med. I live in Texas. Do you know if they have that here in our pharmacys?

I have heard something about quinine helping some other things as well!

Take care and thanks again.

Wannabe

Old 04-22-2006, 09:40 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Blue,

Thanks, I will look that up. I wonder if you could drink some quinine water? Isn't that what it is called, that some people mix with their drinks? Just a thought...

Thanks again.

Wannabe

Closed Thread